Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007

micksbuddy is on a distinguished road
I used skype quite a bit in the Bahamas this spring, and even with the connection fees(not sure if they were charging that at the time) it's still a heckuva lot cheaper than batelco cards(.50/min). And there a fair number of places with free wifi over there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2007

Yofy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. I've been a little busy so I haven't had a chance to respond. (I've been deep in the engine room fighting with my starter... but that's another story )

I also asked a friend in the computer business and he asked if the cantenna normally connects to a serial port??

If yes, he suggested that we could buy a serial port to usb adaptor that we could connect through the usb port instead.

Perhaps this is repeating some of the previously posted advice , but is anybody using a cantenna that can answer that?

Manny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yofy-

The Cantenna (Pringles can antenna) connects to the antenna port of the WiFi card... usually an MMCX type port. A serial port doesn't have any use for an antenna. Some USB-based WiFi adaptors will have an external antenna port, or a removable antenna. BTW, I don't think much of a person in the computer industry that doesn't know what a Cantenna is, or how it is used... my friend's 10-year old daughter built one after I sent her the website link to the instructions.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-23-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Manny, twenty years ago radio guys were using coffee cans and pringles cans with 1/4 wave microwave stub antenas as cheap direction gain antennas and all a "cantenna" means is "a stub antenna installed at a resonant point in a can with one end cut open".

Some geniuses have tried to trademark the name now, that ain't gonna last. A real "cantenna" is just a directional gain antenna that you have to plug into whatever your radio (including WiFi card) is. Antennas don't plug into serial ports, or USB ports. Even though some more geniuses are trying to sell "USB antennas" for WiFi, when all they are really selling is a USB Wifi adapter that has a long USB cord--and the adapter itself built into the base of the antenna.

"Ignore the man behind the curtain."
Old 09-25-2007

mygirls66 is on a distinguished road
Skype is actually very good. Skype "IN" is a PC to PC and Skype "OUT" is using your PC to call out through a gateway to the local telephone network...i.e. someones regular telephone. Skype "OUT" costs a little bit but is no where near VONAGE rates. We use both. On occasion you miss a few words here and there but overall it is good and getting better.

Ian
Old 09-25-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
A cantenna will not help much because you'll be swinging all the time. What you need is an omni directional antenna. Check this out.
http://www.netgate.com/product_info....roducts_id=328

Last edited by Vasco; 09-25-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
An omnidirectional isn't all that useful in extending range. IMHO, you'd be better off using a panel type antenna, which has an acceptance angle of about 90˚, which will accommodate a fair amount of swinging, where a cantenna won't. It will also have far more gain than an omnidirectional antenna, and better range.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-25-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
What, Vasco, you're not willing to put out a 4-point anchor system in order to secure the boat so you can get the best cantenna performance? [weg]
Old 09-25-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Tried the four point. Didn't work because of the swell, kept on bouncing up and down.

Last edited by Vasco; 09-25-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2007
Telstar 28

HS-

He needs to use a four-point anchor system and a gyro-stabilized mount for the antenna.

Telstar 28
New England