Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I had a friend who was an exec at that mega insurance company named after a mountain in Italy. She said it was company policy to reject first claims no matter what the reason. Very profitable policy. I remember a few years back several hundred doctors in Dallas got together and made a very public (news conference) dumping of that company. A lot of people, me included, had to find new doctors.

Sorry for the digression Suzy. Have you looked into NASE (National Association for the Self Employed)? I don’t know how they are now but I used them several years ago and they were great. Back then I chose the doctor/Hospital and they never denied a claim. They had a wide range of packages. I was very happy with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2007
wantabe sailing

sailusvi is on a distinguished road
At 51, I just dropped my full service Health insurance, it was raised again to $1800 a month so I bailed out. Major Medical is all I want now, we will handle all the "small stuff" costs. What we did find out was that here in the States you can negotiate the fees doctors and hospitals charge.(my family is full of doctors) Last week I needed an MRI for my knee (dislocated on my stand up jet ski) the price quoted was $1400 bucks or higher. After calling around to a few imaging centers letting them know we were cash customers we got a price of $550.
Once out this country I think the cash cost may not be all that unreasonable. This is a problem we all are gonna face at some point in time.
Old 08-25-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Geez it's great to be Canadian
Old 08-27-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

Even at $1400 for the MRI it appears to be the right decision dropping the insurance. In a month that leaves you $400 ahead. I have always been anti-Hillary care - still am . . . . . . . but . . . . . . . $1800 a month? The bean counting suits at those big insurance companies . . . and ambulance chasing lawyers may sway me soon. I know the recent influx of anchor babies from south of the border have really put a strain on the system that is costing us all but that's another subject for another place. I'm out of anti-acids today anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

Old 08-30-2007

SuzySailor is on a distinguished road
We're still waiting to hear from 2 insurance companies, but I thought I'd pass on a few tips from "one who knows"--i.e. my brother-in-law, who's an insurance broker in another state from ours (and therefore can't officially help us). He says 1- Don't mention the sailing plans-- insurance people will think it's cool and all, but they'll also think you're more likely to get hurt. 2- Don't mention the foreign travel-- insurance people will think it's cool and all, but they'll also think you're more likely to get sick. 3- Don't try to get US/Foreign coverage, all US insurance plans must cover you for 30 days in any foreign country anyway, and at that point, if it's serious and you want to come back to the US for treatment, you can. (Here is where a DAN plan might come in handy, if you need to be "transported"). Our thoughts are that if we need care in most foreign countries, we'll be glad we're there, as far as costs go. I would think that finding the right doctors might be a little tricky, but I do remember some organization that would help with that, for a small membership fee. My info about it is at the boat right now, I keep nothing in my head. So anyway, that's the 3 cents from my brother-in-law, a great guy and a wonderful baritone but not the ultimate source for anything so please do your own fact-finding!
Old 08-30-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Suzy, I think you misheard him on this.
"US/Foreign coverage, all US insurance plans must cover you for 30 days in any foreign country anyway, "

Yeah, that might be possible. Dunno. But if they DO cover you, it will be what is called "out of plan coverage" or "out of network coverage" and that usually means they'll pay next to nothing, or nothing at all. Unless you read your policy and it provides for some reimbursement when you are out of the plan/coverage area, which many don't, assume you will be reimbursed for nothing. In or out of the US.
Old 09-01-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
When I leave I hope to have catastrophic insurance in case something really terrible happens, but otherwise I plan to just use local medicine and doctors. Sure, that might involve someone shaking a rattle over me and burning a chicken, but at least they care.

I don't know what I would do if I was over 40 though, or 50, I'm sure the choices become more difficult at some point when you actually start worrying about real problems with your health.

The best thing I could do for my own health is get on a boat and go cruising. I know from limited experience that I eat less, live healthier, etc, and that's the best kind of insurance there is.
Old 09-03-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

Jesus was born in a manger because Mary was on an HMO plan.

Bob T

Old 09-03-2007
wantabe sailing

sailusvi is on a distinguished road
well spoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post

The best thing I could do for my own health is get on a boat and go cruising. I know from limited experience that I eat less, live healthier, etc, and that's the best kind of insurance there is.
Old 10-03-2007

SuzySailor is on a distinguished road
I know this thread is dead, but in case anyone is searching as we searched for so long, I just wanted to wrap this up with our present solution-- we have "signed up" with Blue Cross/Blue Shield, with whom we had about 7 choices of plans that, for the two of us, were between $400 and $500 a month (deductibles from $1,000-5,000) which was about the best we were hoping for. Coverage is worldwide, and there is a drug plan included, which we didn't think we'd ever have. The best part is they didn't do a big medical investigation-- the process was painless, esp. compared to what we'd been through with three other companies, all of whom either "rejected" one or both of us.