Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzySailor View Post
I know this thread is dead, but in case anyone is searching as we searched for so long, I just wanted to wrap this up with our present solution-- we have "signed up" with Blue Cross/Blue Shield, with whom we had about 7 choices of plans that, for the two of us, were between $400 and $500 a month (deductibles from $1,000-5,000) which was about the best we were hoping for. Coverage is worldwide, and there is a drug plan included, which we didn't think we'd ever have. The best part is they didn't do a big medical investigation-- the process was painless, esp. compared to what we'd been through with three other companies, all of whom either "rejected" one or both of us.
Suzy,

Your participation here has been great and thank you for the effort in this thread. I hope it is helpful to many of the other members as they go through the same circus.

I do want to mention, as I do have BC/BS and a somewhat similar plan, that they limited my drug purchases to certain retailers recently. Mine is a BC/BS Florida - which is different than some of the other policies. Just make sure you read the fine print.

In all, they are not a bad company... at least as much as can be expected.

All the best. Take care and stay in touch with us.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Suzy, BC/BS is certainly a major vendor but I give you two caveats.

Some years ago my uncle was hospitalized for kidney failure, the first set of bills submitted to BC/BS was just about $100,000. They sent a check for about 99 cents in payment for it all. This, despite him being part of a major group.

More recently, IIRC it was a BC/BS executive who went on record during an interview as saying that they randomly rejected or threw out a certain number of all incoming requests for payment, on the theory that some folks who simply accept that and pay by themselves--reducing the dollar volume they paid out. (BC/BS is not alone in doing this, the only question is why the RICO laws have not been applied to pretty much the entire industry for doing this.)

So...Sounds like you got a great bargain. Just dot your i's and cross your t's and make all your submissions to BC/BS in writing, by certified/return receipt.

Insurers actually throw out a certain percent of THAT mail as well, claiming they never got it, but they tend to change their tune when you mention "postal inspector" to a claims supervisor.
Old 10-04-2007

SuzySailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

So...Sounds like you got a great bargain. Just dot your i's and cross your t's and make all your submissions to BC/BS in writing, by certified/return receipt.
I should have mentioned that we got this insurance through an agent-- no extra cost to us. She will, as part of her role, be an advocate for us if we do have problems relating to BC/BS. She came highly recommended for her knowledge, perseverence and high standards. She's also an RN, so in dealing with a medical insurance company, she knows whereof she speaks.
Old 10-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

Your participation here has been great and thank you for the effort in this thread. I hope it is helpful to many of the other members as they go through the same circus.
- CD
Thanks! I appreciate that.
Old 11-23-2007

Another, less encouraging update

After being "enrolled" with BC/BC for one month at a cost of $432.17, we have been notified that the monthly fees for the coming year will be $563.05 A mere 30% increase. We are thinking of "unenrolling".
Old 11-23-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Suzy
Consider doing some comparison shopping here...

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com./
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... aren't they supposed to wait a year before screwing you over???
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzySailor View Post
After being "enrolled" with BC/BC for one month at a cost of $432.17, we have been notified that the monthly fees for the coming year will be $563.05 A mere 30% increase. We are thinking of "unenrolling".

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-23-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Suzy - That's a fairly standard thing. As a business owner, I'm used to seeing my employee's premiums increase by 20%-30% per year. We sign 12 month contracts so our rates don't increase until our contract expires. This year we only saw negligible increases in premiums for a change -only around 4%! We were quite ecstatic. By the way, even with a corporate plan, we still pay $1k/month for family coverage (HMO - $20/visit co-pay, $5/$12/$45 prescription (with unlimited coverage per year), $250 in-patient co-pay, vision coverage, dental ($2k/year I believe) and a bunch of other stuff). Individuals are around $350/month I believe. I can't remember how much double coverage is. Health insurance is expensive! We're also trying to figure out our coverage options for when we start our cruise (with our kids).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 11-23-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
More and more "good companies" aren't providing health care. I've even heard of some small software companies that were generally making pretty good money that said that they couldn't afford health care for their employees, and that's almost unheard of.

Please support my
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, a friend of mine who has been in the HR field for ages said that providing health benefits can often increase costs to a company by up to 65% of the employee's actual salary, and this is especially true in smaller companies with lower paid positions where the figure may be even higher. So it wouldn't surprise me that a small company can't afford it... healthcare costs have skyrocketed relative to the value of the dollar, wages or almost any other benchmark you'd compare it to.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.