SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Jamaica (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/36205-jamaica.html)

Freesail99 08-20-2007 02:46 PM

Jamaica

Jamaica is in the news right now because of hurricane Dean. I went there on vacation a couple of times in the 70's. Why isn't Jamaica ever discussed as a cruising ground ?

Cruisingdad 08-20-2007 03:09 PM

Free,

It's location would be my best guess.

- CD

Waymar83 08-20-2007 03:31 PM

Fortunately Jamaica was not hit as bad as it could have been. Kinston I hear got the brunt of it.

On the issue of cruising I think its a good question. I was there in April for a conference and was looking for any place to rent a boat for a day. Could not find one, even with the help from this Sailnet! I ended up renting a Hobie 14 for a few hours...

There does'nt seem to be much infrastructure and I've also heard that crime can be an issue (although on the North shore I cannot see how that could be with all the touristy all-inclusive hotels...).

But again with all of the places to choose from in the Caribbean and the fact tha Jamaica is off the beaten track (probably the no 1 issue), there are many easier alternatives.

welshwind 08-20-2007 03:35 PM

We had friends who spent some time in Jamaica at one of the all-inclusive resorts. They were told that under no circumstances, should they leave the compound after dark due to crime.

Gary M 08-20-2007 03:47 PM

Crime is definately a problem in Jamaica, there is no way I would anchor in a remote area. I would even be nervous on the main town dock.

However I think another reason is that there are very few anchorages. The north coast does not have much and I don't think the south coast does either.

Gary

sailhog 08-20-2007 03:51 PM

I talked to several Jamaican nationals working in the BVI while I was there, all of whom had left because of the crime.

Freesail99 08-20-2007 06:24 PM

In the 80's I was told not to leave the hotel compound at night while in the Virgin Islands. St. Thomas if I remember right. I think I had one hell of a time there as I remember little of that trip :)

Waymar83 08-20-2007 07:05 PM

I hear ya Freesail,

It's all a question of perspective. I currently live in Guyana and if you rely only on the news reports etc, everyone should be walking around with armed guards and bullet proof vests....

I feel just as safe walking around Georgetown as I do in Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto (OK maybe Georgetown is safer than Toronto!).

sailhog 08-20-2007 07:09 PM

I messed up my post. What I meant to say was that the Jamacian nationals were living in the BVI due to the crime back in Jamaica.

Waymar83 08-20-2007 07:16 PM

Hog,

You are right, and I interpreted your previous post in that way as well. Many folks from the Caribbean get tired (justifiably so) of the crime, corruption, lack of opportunity that their home countries exhibit. Hence the huge exodus of very skilled labour.

In Guyana for instance a recent study stated that almost 90% of university graduates leave the country shortly after graduation!

Of course Jamaican crime, particularly in parts of Kingston are extreme.