Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Jakmedic, could you not get better or more educated answers to your questions and/or ideas on a medical based forum ?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2007

jakmedic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Jakmedic, could you not get better or more educated answers to your questions and/or ideas on a medical based forum ?
In some ways, yes (and I'm looking), but I'm also especially interested in what cruisers think of all this, since its the cruising world I'm hoping to become part of here. You all are the ones who have been out there doing it, I'm still in the dreaming stages. You may know better than anyone what needs are out there being unmet...
Old 08-21-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Just what kind of cruising are you thinking of? Circumnavigation type, coastal, Caribbean? That would make a big difference as to what was practical.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 08-21-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
If I were in Jac's situation, I would find the highest paying job in a coastal community where I could live aboard my cruising boat, cheaply, while paying off bills/stuffing the bank. I would also use the time to get used to the boat and prep the boat with all the mod's I would want. Then I'd take off! Jac you are very lucky to have a skill that can easily get good paying jobs almost at will.

Get your affairs in order and then go cruising without strings. When the money runs out you can easily go back to get some more.
Old 08-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Just what kind of cruising are you thinking of? Circumnavigation type, coastal, Caribbean? That would make a big difference as to what was practical.
Thanks for asking...I almost hesitate to say for fear of sounding too eager while being so green a sailor, but I'm dreaming big... I don't have too much holding me back besides lots of debt which I intend to deal with these next few years, and inexperience on the seas. My sailing has been limited to coastal cruising mostly in the Long Island Sound. Have single-handed NYC to Block, Martha's Vineyard and back a few times, but I'm mostly self-taught and have never been really tested, so there's lots of gaps in knowledge and experience. My wife is adventurous and is itching to sail the world (but no experience), and I can envision a year or two cruising the caribbean and Central America as a start. My daughter is now 6 months old and hasn't weighed in, but I'll work on her. If things go well, who knows, we may decide to just keep going, so sky's the limit... Good thing my debt will keep me here for a while yet so I have time to learn and gain confidence to do this for real...
Old 08-21-2007

Libellula is on a distinguished road
I have a doctor whom I can call. Since I have an education in biology, I can self diagnose but not prescribe, It is a service worth $$$$ but also with implied liabilities,
Old 08-21-2007

sevseasail is on a distinguished road
jak...
you do not say how long before you go. you mention a few years to get rid of some debt; but........ how long before you break loose ?
that might help to get some ideas on how to get there.
Old 08-21-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Guatemala has need of physicians, as I understand. However, I am not sure about the turning profit thing. Many of the places that need physicians the worst probably won't have much/any money.

I know my presonal physician (she and I were "friends") said that she was asked to move to the USVI to practice. They were going to give her a pretty reasonable income - but she declined since her husband was involved in building and would have an issue moving. That might be an option.

I noticed that if you are a physician, you can move to Australia. That skill is needed there I believe. THat is is pretty area, though it will put you closer to TDW which carries a whole other risk (smile).

Of course, quite candidly, I think PBeezer is right... sounds more like working to me. Save up your money. Buy a conservative but nice boat. Take off and enjoy what you are doing. If you find an island that needs some help and they are willing to pay, all the better.

My opinions.

- CD
Oi ! Unless your doctors dress up in sheep skins they'll be safe. What's more I employ a generous drop of eau de roden' , so I don't pong. much.

Oz does need Doctors. We keep arresting 'em and having them deported. For some reason this is putting others off from coming here. Don't understand it myself.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevseasail View Post
jak...
you do not say how long before you go. you mention a few years to get rid of some debt; but........ how long before you break loose ?
that might help to get some ideas on how to get there.
Well...if I were a cautious and reasonable person I'd say not wise to set off without most (all?) debt paid off, and with real privation that means about 3-4 years (I'm talking things like grown man with wife and kid moving back home with the in-laws, or packing up everyone and moving to Waco Texas...moving to Texas is considered a grim sacrifice for a New Yorker)... If I were overly eager and cavalier, I'd say half that time with partial debt paid, but then working enough while cruising to keep us all above water...
Old 08-21-2007

sevseasail is on a distinguished road
how about partnering up with another MD and opening your own practice.
Three years should give you enough time to get it up and runing and turning a profit. Then you cut back on your hours to become just an investor (income will be less but income non the less). Once or twice a year you could come back and work a litle for extra money while giving your partner some time off.
I don't know how it works for you MDs to keep your licence active but I just wanted to give you an idea.

Good luck...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.