Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007

Dihydro77 is on a distinguished road
As an anesthesiologist/pain management doc with my own practice I have had the same dream many times. I have quickly put that aside as I see how the family and I are living so well after 4 years of being on my own. (And no I will not call in Oxycontin for anyone, but I will inject your spine or implant a dorsal column stimulator if you like) At this point I have put the wheels in motion for coastal cruising around NE, as so many wise ones have suggested on this site. Back to your dream..... I have known physicians from Brown and Loyola that have taken on teaching jobs in the carib(med schools) on occasions when they needed a vacation.(most single with no baggage) Some of them go down to teach every chance they get. Nothing beats getting your airfare, room and board taken care of while you vacation. I hear it is hard to get citizenship in these countries, and thats what it will take to get in the door to practice medicine. I do think it will be required that you give up your US citizenship in order to do this. Very few countries allow dual citizenship and I believe the US is not one of them. Some countries will not accept our American training as some here have mentioned. Not a big surprise since WHO list some of the top med schools and these are not all on American soil. If you havent spent alot of time in some of the locations you dream of I suggest you test the water by going down and spending a few months to see if you and the family can deal with third world conditions. You may love some the topless french carib locations (dont ask me how I know) but the wife, that may be a different story.
Also my cousin, who is a heme pathologist told me a group of radiologist with offshore accounts/companies read films from their boats for hospitals in the states. Damn, maybe I should have gone into radiology. On another note coding, billing and getting paid while an land is hard enough these days.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2007

jakmedic is on a distinguished road
Well, everyone's been such an inspiration here that I decided to quit yapping and do something since my last post to move this project forward...as disappearing the debt seems the major unifying priority, we just arranged to leave our apartment and move somewhere cheap...ok, it's back in with the in-laws. No kidding. I can't believe we're really doing that, I must be nuts (how's THAT for belt-tightening rtbates!?!). It seemed a better option than Texas, for now at least. I also went out and got a second moonlighting job today. So much for avoiding burnout. If I haven't plunged a fork into my eye one year hence, maybe around then then I'll be asking for advice on boat shopping...a happy day that will be...
Old 08-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats Jak... sounds like a good start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-22-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
A man-hog by the... I can't think of anything that goes with man-hog.
A nice Chablis, perhaps? I dunno. My religion forbids man-hog.
Old 08-23-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Go sailing in the meantime.
Old 08-23-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Live aboard the boat during the summer to get out of the house and live with the in-laws over winter!

Did you take the second job for the money or to get out of the house???