Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Congrats Mike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Way to go Mike...Free at last!

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 08-23-2007

wlcoxe is on a distinguished road
Mike,
I left EB in Sept, 2001, and haven't looked back. I worked overhaul and new construction through the start of the last class, told my boss that I was concerned about my attitude, checked with the financial guru, and left. My wife has just retired from teaching, we bought a house in New Bern, NC, have temporary docking there for now for when we bring the boat down starting around mid-Sept. We sold our house in Bristol in 2 days, pricing it, as someone said earlier, at the low end, and now we are scrambling to make a Sept. 15 closing date. So far, so good. We know how to get to Annapolis, which is where we bought our current boat, an O'Day 40, but after that, it gets hazy, so there is a lot of prepping to do. Who are you really and whom should we hail as we head out?
Bill Coxe, O40 Kukulcán, New London, CT (but not for long)
Old 08-24-2007
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
sonofa... well, I certainly hope I can avoid the 85mph winds, not sure I could handle that. I am aware that Florida weather in the winter can be downright cold. My dad lives in Ft. Lauderdale, and I lived down there with him through a winter. With luck, I'll find enough of those beautiful Florida winter days where the temp is in the upper 70s, the sky is clear and the humidity is low. I'll definitely be providing updates here on sailnet and looking to meet folks who post here along the way.

TS, yeah, now we build MOST of the boat up at Quonset. Groton is "Final Assembly & Test", we do hull butts of major sections, tie-in work, and most of the testing. In fact, my job is pretty much to make sure Quonset is feeding modules and cylinders to Groton and Newport News on schedule.

PBzeer, heck yeah! I'd love to have someone with some experience to buddy along with at least for a portion of the trip. If I make it to the Carolinas by mid October, I'll defintely get in touch. I'd like to pull some offshore hops once I'm down south, since I don't really want to spend 3 weeks wandering around in Georgia swamps.

sd, USp, tyty. Can you see my s**t eating grin from there?

Bill, I am really Mike Golden, Program Chief in the Virginia Program Office. I work for Holmander, and I'm currently in charge of new construction hulls 780 and 781. They tried to get me into OH&R before I came to Virginia, but I think I'd have quit even sooner had I gone down there. There's been a lot of change on the waterfront in the last couple of years, now there a bunch of younger guys that came up with me through CVNX working down there. Let's see, 2001, you must know Mark Wagner? He was OH&R before he came to VA to work as a Nuc Area Sup on the 780 PST. They just made Will Lennon VP of Operations, over Mike Alu and there's been a lot of movement on the 10th floor, (which is a big part of the reason for my leaving.) I sail a Morgan 30 sloop, S/V Windsong, and I'm currently the only sailboat docked at the Thames Inn (immediately downriver from the HelCat dock.) If you're in New London, swing on over and we can have a beer some evening. I'll be here for another couple of weeks.
Old 08-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
yup...clearly visible...
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganmike View Post
sd, USp, tyty. Can you see my s**t eating grin from there?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-24-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Mike,
if you are looking for a quiet spot to hang in the Chesapeake while you wait it out, check out our marina, Flag Harbor Yacht Haven. Its north of Solomons by about 15 miles, very quiet and well protected. We don't have transient slips per se, but John Little, my friend and the owner of the marine service there, usually has a slip or two for use. Google it. Phone is 410-586-1915. Drop me a line via PM if you want and we will feed you.
Best regards and congrats (you rat-bast**d)
Freeman Dodsworth
S/V Black Pearl

Edited to replace Annapolis with Solomons....sorry!

Last edited by Bardo; 08-24-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2007
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
Freeman, thanks very much for the kind offer, I may very well take you up on it. I have relatives in Maryland, near Annapolis, and I will probably be stopping in the area for a bit before continuing south. I do intend to anchor out as much as possible to keep my costs down, but I'm sure I will need a night or two in a marina at some point. I'll be in touch!