kinds of maritime cruising - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-29-2007 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
kinds of maritime cruising

* Camp cruising, also known as beach cruising or gunkhole cruising, is a form of cruising in which sailors sail from point to point in an open or semi-enclosed boat, generally remaining within sight of land. Camp cruisers either camp ashore ("camp cruising" or "beach cruising"), or aboard the boat at anchor. The boats used may be specialized cruising dinghies, small keelboats, or general purpose daysailing or racing boats pressed into service for the purpose.

* Daysailing is recreational sailing that does not involve racing or cruising. Many racers refer to all non-racers as "cruisers," including dinghy and small keelboat sailors who primarily focus on daysailing.

* Travel on cruise ships may be referred to as cruising. Those who take frequent cruise ship vacations (multiple times per year) may be called cruisers.

taken from: www(dot)en(dot)wikipedia(dot)org/wiki/Cruising_%28maritime%29
Karalia is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 08-29-2007
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Which proves the point that wikipedia is always correct.

To quote Michael Scott from The Office... "Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject, so you know you are getting the best possible information. "
sailh34 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 12 Old 08-29-2007
Quit calling me a member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Can't tell you how relieved I am to have my life so accurately described in Wikipedia.

morganmike is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 12 Old 08-29-2007
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 14
         
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalia View Post
* Camp cruising, also known as beach cruising or gunkhole cruising, is a form of cruising in which sailors sail from point to point in an open or semi-enclosed boat, generally remaining within sight of land. Camp cruisers either camp ashore ("camp cruising" or "beach cruising"), or aboard the boat at anchor. The boats used may be specialized cruising dinghies, small keelboats, or general purpose daysailing or racing boats pressed into service for the purpose.
Actually, gunkholing or gunkhole cruising can be done in any shallow draft boat and doesn't have to involve "camping" of any kind. Many gunkhole boats have full cabins with a head and galley... and not all boats that gunkhole are small boats. My friend gunkholes in a 31' trimaran.
Quote:
* Daysailing is recreational sailing that does not involve racing or cruising. Many racers refer to all non-racers as "cruisers," including dinghy and small keelboat sailors who primarily focus on daysailing.
Fairly accurate
Quote:
* Travel on cruise ships may be referred to as cruising. Those who take frequent cruise ship vacations (multiple times per year) may be called cruisers.
Not in my opinion... people who travel on cruise ships aren't cruising, they're on a floating hotel... doing jack...

Quote:
taken from: www(dot)en(dot)wikipedia(dot)org/wiki/Cruising_%28maritime%29
Yup.... the authoritative source on the internet... unfortunately, many entries are JUNK.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 12 Old 08-29-2007
Senior Member
 
Valiente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,491
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Yup.... the authoritative source on the internet... unfortunately, many entries are JUNK.
Not to seem aggressive, but so what? The price is right, and it is frequently a great starting point to get to better information elsewhere...not to mention that if you actually possess better information, you are free to amend or rewrite the entry. I use the thing every day...but I don't necessarily place uncritical faith in it. It's pretty good on pop culture and science, and weak on political analysis.

Anyone who thinks it's an authoritative, unbiased source of information not only fails to grasp that it's a collaborative, constantly revised compendium, but probably thinks South Carolina is lapped by the Pacific Ocean and borders Saskatchewan...oh, wait...
Valiente is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 12 Old 08-29-2007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seaside, Florida
Posts: 3,331
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
...unbiased source of information not only fails to grasp that it's a collaborative, constantly revised compendium, but probably thinks South Carolina is lapped by the Pacific Ocean and borders Saskatchewan...oh, wait...
Lots a us ain't got maps down here. Bunch a you rich Candadians have all the maps an you ain't sharin em maps with us. Ya'll think yer so smart cuz you got all the maps. Evil bastards.
sailhog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 12 Old 08-29-2007
Senior Member
 
Valiente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,491
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Some of you objected to the absence of pretty crayon colours, so we got miffed.

South Carolina bimbo...with sub-titles! (It's even worse, somehow...she misses entire verbs and clauses...)

http ://youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII
Valiente is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 12 Old 08-29-2007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 286
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Not to seem aggressive, but so what? The price is right, and it is frequently a great starting point to get to better information elsewhere...not to mention that if you actually possess better information, you are free to amend or rewrite the entry. I use the thing every day...but I don't necessarily place uncritical faith in it. It's pretty good on pop culture and science, and weak on political analysis.

Anyone who thinks it's an authoritative, unbiased source of information not only fails to grasp that it's a collaborative, constantly revised compendium, but probably thinks South Carolina is lapped by the Pacific Ocean and borders Saskatchewan...oh, wait...
My issue with Wikipedia is the difficulty in contributing. People, it seems, have an inherent need to have a level of control or ownership over the works they create. This causes an issue when I see a section in an article I wrote slowly modified into something I can't even recognize – and in ways that aren't improvements (at least in my mind).

If it stopped there – that would be one thing. It would be my issue. But their editors / moderators tend to treat articles as pet projects, often removing valid changes for rather spurious reasons. All too often there is a power struggle as changes are put in place, then removed ad infinitum. Or at least until a potential contributor gives up.

My problem is that Wikipedia is written by people with the most time, not the most knowledge. So calling it collaborative might be going to far.

Of course for pop culture references and a jumping board into more credentialed information – it really is valuable.
byrondv is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 12 Old 08-29-2007
Siren 17
 
danjarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Grapevine TX
Posts: 1,982
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Actually, gunkholing or gunkhole cruising can be done in any shallow draft boat and doesn't have to involve "camping" of any kind. Many gunkhole boats have full cabins with a head and galley... and not all boats that gunkhole are small boats. My friend gunkholes in a 31' trimaran.
Yea, some would say thats a small boat.

!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
danjarch is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 12 Old 08-29-2007
Senior Member
 
arbarnhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjarch View Post
Yea, some would say thats a small boat.
On another forum an upcoming trip to Cape Lookout was being discussed and someone mentioned probably going the inside route because he had a small boat and someone else responded that on the ocean, *every* boat is small.
arbarnhart is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retirement Cruising Budgets Randy Harman Cruising Articles 0 05-12-2004 08:00 PM
Calculating the Cost of Cruising Paul & Sheryl Shard Cruising Articles 0 04-03-2003 07:00 PM
Calculating the Cost of Cruising Paul & Sheryl Shard Her Sailnet Articles 0 04-03-2003 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome