Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John...You guys are making good progress...Yeah the Chessie can be a bit "lumpy" down at Hampton when the river, the wind and the tide all decide to play around together! Usually clears up around the York River. Hope you'e enjoying Deltaville...you're almost there! South winds tomorrow and light so you should have an easy trip. All best...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Fishing Bay (Deltaville, VA) to Colonial Beach, VA

After a calm night at Fishing Bay, we headed out with the rising sun for Colonial Beach. Wasn't sure if we'd make it, but decided to push as long as we could. I let Jon lead, to give him more navigation practice, and watched closely as he headed towards the shoals to the north of the entrance to the Piankatank River. Just as I was ready to hail him though, he bore off. Then it was north to the Potomoc. Winds were marginally ok for sailing, but not if we had any hope of reaching Colonial Beach. We did though get a boost from running out the headsails.

Making our way up the Potomoc, it seemed less and less likely we would make port before dark. By myself, I probably would have stopped, but we pressed on, and reached Colonial Beach with the setting sun ..... right in our eyes, of course. By the time we were secured, it was dark, and worse luck, the restuarant was closing. But, all in all, a good day, albeit, long and tiring.

No comes the decision of where to next. Goind up to DC holds no interest for me, since I've been there before, so I'll probably just work my way back downriver, while I decide to go north or south when I get back to the bay.

Currently at Colonial Beach Yacht Center, VA

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well done John & Jon! If you are just looking to meander around a bit you might consider visiting Solomon's just inside the Patuxent River or maybe head across the Bay to Tangier Island or Crisfield...all interesting spots. Have fun!
Old 09-04-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Thanks cam. At this point, think I'll take a couple of days, just to go back down to the Bay. After a couple of days of doing nothing!

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-04-2007

jobrantley is on a distinguished road
We made it!!! I want to say a huge thank you to John (PBzeer) for buddy boating with me. Thank you John, I couldn't have done it without you. Seeing Aria not to far away gave me the confidence i needed to do this trip. And if I am coming around Smith Point again I am following close behind you this time.

It was an awesome adventure for me......everything I thought and hoped it would be and much more. I learned a lot.

From the relaxing calm heading up the Alligator River Canal to the stress of Norfolk and all its bridges and huge, huge ships. And trying to single hand tie up at the Great Bridge Lock......why oh why didn't I just head to the starboard side where there was assistance from the start???? It was all great.

We were in a headwind most of the time but I didn't mind....I was just so happy to be out there on my new to me boat.......and what a boat she turned out to be. I couldn't be more happy and proud of her. She took excellent care of me and easily managed my lack of experience. I picked a winner!!

Putting the headsail up for the first time heading to Deltaville was a huge highlight for me. Feeling the wind fill the sail and the boat take off was awesome!!!!

With a photo (and somewhat stressful) finish into a setting sun it was trip I will remember for a lifetime.

I am sure I will be a regular on this board asking all of you lots of questions. I thank you all for the help and advice already given.

thanks,
Jon
Old 09-05-2007
moderate?

Jon...congrats on the first voyage. You must have a well cared for boat not to have had any significant problems on a maiden voyage like this! Enjoy her!!