SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Across the Oceon from Sint Marteen to Capo Verde Island

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  kekkul 
#1 ·
I cruised From Canary Island to Barbados in 1995, from Panama to Spain Via Bermuda and Azzores with Jeanneau 44 Sun Magic built 1989 in 2002. Now My spirit of adventure push me in this project: Sint Marteen island to Capo Verde island, with McGragor 24 sailing Boat, any suggestions?

Sorry about my english, i am italian with poor English practice.
KeK

#4 ·
Almost never do I tell someone that what they want to do is ill-advised but in your case I think you are making a mistake. The size is fine and I have crossed in smaller boats but the choice of boat and your route is the problem. I don’t have too much regard for the Mcgregor 24 as an offshore boat for several reasons. First, the weight of the boat is too small. You will have problems carrying the added weight of supplies. Second, the rig isn’t very strong and you might have trouble with it in severe weather. Third, the hull shape doesn’t lend itself to heavy weather sailing and you will not be able to have the windvane steer during bad weather and you will take a beating from the violent movement of the boat. Also a long trip upwind will be tiring and you might make a faster more comfortable crossing by arcing north and following the wind. Can you use a different boat and re-plan the route?
Good luck and all the best,
Robert Gainer

#8 ·
If the 24 is built to the same standards as the 26 I wouldn't even consider taking it offshore. Until now I did not understand what you were talking about when discussing MacGregors - Now I've seen a brandnew, and have instructed my kids to NEVER set foot on one of those if it's going to leave the marina.
The other models may be a totally different animal though?
Go find a Contessa, Marieholm or similar and take the tradewind route to the Azores, Northern Europe, and then go south to the Canaries and Cabo Verde.

#10 · (Edited)
I guess this thread proves that if you ponder the advice of experienced Sailnet-ers long enough you eventually make the right decision!

Question for the SN techies: how could Kekkul's post count be 10 in 2007 and the same number (10) six days ago? He may have signed off for a long time, but shouldn't post #9 above at least be his 11th post on SN?

#11 ·
BR-

The posts number in the post header is total number of posts for the person, not the number of their post... Also, the total number of posts can go up or down....if you delete a post it decrements, if you write one, it increments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.