Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Is the Chesapeake sailing season beginning?

I know the next couple of months will be great but, man it's getting frustrating motoring an hour out the Sassafras River every day only to find you're in one big hole! Great places to anchor but I'd rather be sailing. Is there more wind at the southern end of the Bay? I'm heading to New Jersey next year and looking forward to those sea breezes! Sorry all you Chesapeake fans.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The spring and the fall are the best times on the Chessie...but you are a long way from the wind up the Sassafras. You'll have sea breezes in Jersey but not much to do except go back and forth. Unfortunately...sailing in Jersey ain't much fun unless you can get up by the city and those cruising grounds.
Old 09-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's one reason I like Buzzards Bay... nice and windy... a bit too windy at times...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
thought you were on the river in Philly! LOL I was on the Sassafras last year for about 3 months after we brought my boat up from Deale. Mid summer is iffy for sure but the ride out the Sassy is boring at best. I always checked the baycasts on the radio first. We went down in Mid June and that's when the wind was good but my steering broke and we lost 3 days waiting to get it fixed. I hope to going to the bay in a couple of weeks though. But i will most likely try for fairly creek. then hopefully St Michaels.
Old 09-03-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Teshannon, Sailing in Jersey just makes you a better sailor ........ The shallow water also builds nerves of steel . My boat is in Tuckerton not far from where you plan on being. I will tell you it is a rare day when there is no wind.
Old 09-03-2007

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
That's one reason I like Buzzards Bay... nice and windy... a bit too windy at times...

WHAT is TOO windy for you? Nothing I like better than getting a steady 25 knots on a decent sized boat, w/ the sails properly reefed and the boat sailing like she's meant to! Nothing I hate worse than being HOT and not sailing!... Yeah, sailing season on Chesapeake Bay is here!
Old 09-03-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Tom - Sorry to hear you haven't been able to really sail your new-to-you boat! We just decided NOT to do the move from Champlain to the Long Island Sound because of the dearth of wind on the sound. Here on Champlain we regularly get 10-20 over the summer. You should head in this direction! Might be a long commute though.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 09-03-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
This weekend was awesome on the Bay. Saturday was 20-25 kts early and a bit less later on. Great sailing, and my little Bristol 29 took it like a champ. Lighter but still very pleasant wind the rest of the weekend. And no humidity! Generally you need a front this time of year to generate that kind of wind.
Old 09-03-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Chris,
I've had a number of good days but they've been outnumbered by the dead ones. As Cam said I guess I'm just too far up the bay. Cam, I get your point but I guess I'd rather sail back and forth than motor back and forth. Bardo, I went out on Saturday with a nice stiff breeze and it immediately died when I hit the bay! No humidity but no wind either. I just hate missing 2 months of the season.
Living in Philly Annaplois and south is just too far a car ride for me.
Old 09-03-2007

Denise,
If you stop on the Sassafras let me know, I'm at Skipjack Cove.