Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
A C&C 38 called Topaz has done a number of around the world trips and features in a number of cruising books.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 09-06-2007 at 05:12 AM. Reason: speelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I'm not positive, but I'm guessing huban's boat is/was "Outrider". In 1974 I don't think C&C was yet building fully cored hulls. This vintage of the C&C 39 is quite similar to the 35MKI. That issue may be moot.

These boats are large foretriangle/high aspect main rigs and as such can be a handful downwind under spinnaker, but not as bad as some later 70s designs with their deeper forefoots and pinched ends.

Keelhaulin's on the mark - experience is as big a factor as the boat itself, and he gives good advice. It's easy to get some fairly rough experience sailing around Vancouver Island, to the Charlottes etc before committing to southern waters.
Old 09-06-2007

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
FWIW - the C&C Photoalbum website has a copy of the brochure for the C&C 39 from that era. The brochure states the hull is "fully cored with end-grain balsa".
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/
Old 09-06-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrb View Post
FWIW - the C&C Photoalbum website has a copy of the brochure for the C&C 39 from that era. The brochure states the hull is "fully cored with end-grain balsa".
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/
..and so I stand corrected, thanks Johnrb. I'm surprised that they had moved to fully cored hulls by 1974. Live and learn.
Old 09-06-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
C&C racer-cruisers are great boats, but I wouldn't cruise across the ocean in them unless I was in a race with a crew of six, if that makes sense. They are too much boat in certain conditions. I've had my C&C-designed Viking 33 (looks like a skinnier C&C 33) out in 40 knots and while I felt safe, it was a wild ride I wouldn't want to endure for three days in 20 foot waves.

If you like C&Cs (and despite their age and known flaws around deck coring issues), I would go for a Landfall 39 or the older Landfall 42. But for offshore, I wouldn't choose a C&C for the very same reasons I love them in Lake Ontario.
Old 09-06-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
C&C pioneered the balsa cored hull with the construction of Red Jacket in 1966. Here is a good article about their early construction of balsa cored hulls:

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/archive.../redjacket.htm

There is a good website about restoration of a Landfall 38; including potting the thru-hulls on a balsa cored hull here:

http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/index.htm
Old 09-06-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
...I would go for a Landfall 39...
The C&C 39 circa 1974 that he owns is very close in design parameters to the Landfall 39; comparing raw numbers in the Sail Calculator (not hull form/keel).

I would not call his 39 (or my 41) the ultimate "go around the world" boat; there are boats that are better suited for the task. My 41 is fast/seakindly, safe offshore and fun to sail, and I'd say that it would be no problem to sail her down the coast and to destinations like Cabo or through the canal someday when properly outfitted. However, the 6.5' draft might be an issue in the Gulf/Caribbean. I put the performance characteristics of the 39 closer to my boat (C&C Newport 41); the sail calculator confirms this.

JMHO/HTH...
Old 07-24-2010

RickBarr is on a distinguished road
I don't know if your Interested, we know of an Ingrid 38 for sale in Oregon, it's a solid Blue water boat designed for offshore sailing. The owner a family man was looking for a boat with a larger cockpit to accommodate his 4 children he might be into in a trade. I can put you in touch if you like.. I know C&C also made a 5' shallow draft model of the 39' another drawback to the blue-water dream if you own one...
Old 07-24-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I really like the older C&Cs, nice looking and nice sailing boats, and well enough made to make offshore trips.

That said, those boats would be terrible for serious family bluewater use.
A previous poster mentioned how bad the ride would be in rough weather - while the boat would be likely to hold together, the crew may come apart.

To the me, the one biggest hit on the design, one which cannot be modified, is the boat lacks the carrying capacity needed for that type of cruising. Try it out, load 3,000 pounds on board, including 300 feet of chain in the bow, and see how she sits and sails. I dont think it'll be too pretty. Boats designed for blue water use can carry a load and still have waterlines to sit on...and everything else that may not be so obvious is also done right.

Buy yourself a CS 36T...
Old 07-24-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
This is a 3 year old thread !