Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
kmclarke,

Many cruisers leave the Abacos for later in the year when it's a bit warmer. Nov/Dec is a bit cold and the fronts are usually more severe up north in the Abacos.

Over the years we've developed the following route which most of our fellow cruisers take. We go from Miami to North Rock, onto the Banks and into The Tongue of the Ocean and on to Nassau where we clear in. This trip takes about thirty hours. If it's blowing too much we hide in the Chubb Cay area behind Frazers Hog Cay. From Nassau we head down the Exumas.

If we want to do the Abacos we do it on the way home in May when it's a bit warmer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2007

captainlouie is on a distinguished road
Hello all,
My wife and I will be doing the same trip in October/November with our two dogs. This has been great info. Thank you.

KM - We'll see you down there. What is your boat name? We are Irie a 27' catamaran.
Old 09-11-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Clouie....with your boat...you can do the Indian Cay passage from West End to Great sale Cay w/ no problem and save a couple of hours.

Vasco...while a lot of cruisers do it your way...I've seen little evidence that temps or fronts are any different between the Abacos and Exumas. But it is definitely quicker and easier to get to the Abacos and with a 6.5 foot draft...may be a bit less harrowing as well for a first trip over.
Both places are wonderful so whichever way they go...see it all!!
Old 09-11-2007
Senior Moment

Slooptattoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Kevin...Why go to Bimini at all? 6.5 draft is tough there anyway.
You can leave out of Ft. Lauderdale and go either the conventional WestEnd/Memory Rock way to Abacos or head to the new Providence channel and enter at little harbor.
The easiest way to Abacos is out of West Palm Beach to Memory Rock passge and on to Great Sale Cay for your first stop. Then next day to Green Turtle Cay for customs check in and you're there with no hassels. Since you are coming down the ICW...West Palm (lake worth) is the BEST place to wait for weather and to cross from so I don't understand the Bimini Plan at all unless you are heading to the Exumas and not Marsh harbor.
Totally agree. Leave out of Lauderdale, West End, Memory Rock, Sail Cay. There is now a customs office in Spanish Cay which can save you the "hustle bustle" of clearing in Green Turtle, but make sure you do visit Green Turtle on your way south though. The new development on South Bimini has ruined getting into the Harbor at anything other than a high tide with that deep a draft. It's out of your way, "against the stream" and just not worth it. Have a great trip though, you'll have a blast. Don't forget the pig roast on Guana Cay on Sundays!
Old 09-11-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Don't forget the pig roast on Guana Cay on Sundays!

Yes...Sunday's at Nippers!! Here's the link to whet your appetite!!
http://www.nippersbar.com/
Old 09-11-2007

kmclarke is on a distinguished road
Cam
WOW Thanks a lot that takes a lot of the stress out of the route planning . i will get the explorere charts when we get to NC and I am sure i will have some more Q's for you then. Thanks very much
Kevin
Old 09-11-2007

Whoops, i just noticed that there is a second page. We are not "maried to the Abaco idea and if it will be harrowing I can wait to challenge myself, As of now we are not sure that we will spend all of the winter in the Bahamas and return North. If we can find a hurricane hole where we can put our boat on the hard that our ins company will approve of, then we will leave the boat there for the summer and return home in April. Then in 08/09 we will continue south and leave the boat in Panama. So if the Abacos are really worth seeing then we would prefer not to miss them, but if it is just representative of the rest of the Bahamas and more risky then we are quite happy to leave them for another time. Thanks for all your replies.
Kevin ,Melissa ,James and Caleb .
Solange IV
Kelly Peterson 44.
44 days left.
Old 09-11-2007
moderate?

kev...they are NOT more risky. It is the Exumas that are more shoal, have fewer hideout places and more coral. With your draft...still doable but you will need to be ore careful. The Abacos are EASY as long as you just WAIT for a good weather window for the Stream and not try to go the first day of light winds after a week of northers!! 8-10 hours and you'll be on the banks in 10 feet of water like this!!
Old 09-12-2007

Thanks for that ..... gotta go book flights. That is incredible . It can snow any day now in this part of the country, 'but it's a dry cold" Yea ,right.
Old 09-20-2007

micksbuddy is on a distinguished road
There do seem to be lots of cruising boats with kids congregating in Georgetown if you get to the bottom of the Exumas. They also have a cruisers net on the VHF and it's quite a social environment.