so here is an edited email sent to my girfriend for an upate, not an official "cruising update" but hopefully will do
We Anchored a few hours ago in Manjack and of course being the 21st century we are pirating internet from someplace ashore!!! Can you belive that, in the middle of the bahamas on a sailboat and getting wireless interenet
It is SOOOOOO beautiful, I dont even know where to begin so I will start with our crossing.
So it started out somewhat rough leaving fort pierce, FL and I was starting to worry about the crossing, but we headed south along the FL coast until it calmed down some and started to head across around 0300 ten miles north of west palm beach. We motor sailed across the Gulf Stream and it actually wasnt too bad, Austin and I were up and we were 15 miles off the Little Bahama Bank at sunrise. After sunrise we turned the engine off, and sailed in a beautiful morning toward the bahamas. We put fishing lines out and first caught a little black fin tuna and then caught a BIG Mahi-Mahi!!! Austin brought both of them in and loved it. When we got to the Little Bahama bank it was crazy, it went from 1000+ feet in the Atlantic Ocean to 30 ft in about a minute, then we had a real shallow part to go over
It is wild how we will be in 15-20 feet of water and can see the bottom like it is right below us. So then we kept on sailing and eventually motor sailed to Great Sale Cay, which is just a little cove/island that has a good anchorage that a lot of people anchor at while heading to the Abacos. There were about 10 other boats there, and we didnt get there till about 7:30pm so we had to anchor in the dark but we did fine. We cooked the Mahi Mahi on the grill and my mom made some bangin potatoes. Then we listened to the Pats game on Sirius radio!!! Except I was SOOOOOOO tired that I fell asleep after halftime!!!! Now you can understand how tired I was... it was definitly a wearing week, but we are here now and after tomorrow it will be chill mode!
so then we woke up early this morning with intentions to tie up and clear in through customs at Spanish Cay. We were 3 miles from there and I called the marina and they said they didnt recommend staying there overnight because of the wind direction (NW at 20-25) it would be a rough night, which looking back at it, I think we would have been fine, but now we are at this cool anchorage, so who cares. So then we kept on going toward Green Turtle, which is one of the bigger cruising cays in the Abacos and I called a marina a few miles before we got there to ask what time customs closed, and they closed at 5 and it was already 4:30 so we werent going to get there in time. So we were looking around and I saw a bunch of sailboats at this island just north of Green Turtle called Manjack. We checked all of our charts and guides and it looked like it had enough water and will be as good shelter as we can get from the wind that is supposed to come in tonight. So we anchored with 3 feet under our keel just before sunset and jumped in to "Tally Ho" and check the anchor to make sure it was dug in; we ended up giving it a few shoves into the sand/grass.
The water is so clear! it is like nothing I have ever seen!!!
So we are going to listen to the "cruising net" tomorrow morning to get the weather, which unfortanetly isnt supposed to be good tomorrow (rain) and might be real windy the next few days where we need it to not be not windy to head farther down the abacos toward marsh harbor. There is this one cut which if the wind isnt right can be crazy rough, so hopefuly it wont be too bad that we cant head down. I cant believe that my parents have already been here a week tomorrow and are leaving on Friday. I felt bad that it took so long to get here, but they both seem to be loving it and loving that they could share this with me.
So we are about to put the rest of the fish on the grill and then watch a movie down in the cabin.
ok, well we are about to have dinner and I have written a novel. We are going to clear in at Green Turtle tomorrow morning and then hang out on the island and go to the beach if the weather isnt too bad.
So the Tuesday forecast is for NNE at 15 mph; is that going to make the the whale cay passage too bad? I would like to get a little bit farther south (my parents are leaving on Friday) but we can only do what we can do.
This is a dream come true down here and I need to talk my two boat bumbs into stay a few months longer haha.