SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Texas to Isla Mujeres (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/36726-texas-isla-mujeres.html)

BlueYonder 09-10-2007 12:24 PM

Texas to Isla Mujeres

Has anyone cruised the Mexican coast from Texas to Isla Mujeres? What was your route?

Yucatancruiser 02-13-2012 12:43 AM

I know this is a very old tread, but if someone is thinking of doing this, now days I would recommend to head directly from Texas to the Yucatan Peninsula. Tha only ports worth stopping at if you were to coast down tha Mexican coast are probably Tampico and Veracruz, so it would be best to sail straight from Galveston to Progreso. I have some very good info on Progreso as well of some other ports in the northern Yucatan on this page www.yucatancruising.com

FSMike 02-13-2012 10:43 AM

Looking forward to the continued development of your Yucatan site.

#1gardener 02-17-2012 01:55 PM

Would like to take my mac 26 to florida in march and sail from some point on gulf coast to key west. Would be grateful for any tips advice or ideas.

mdi 02-18-2012 10:08 AM

Having made that trip, Pensacola to Key West, I don't think you will be doing that in a Mac26. Best bet is drive direct and unload in the Keys. :)

bob77903 02-18-2012 10:37 AM

I concur with Progreso, Yucatan. Was sailing Port Aransas, Tx. to Isla Mujeres when a minor maintenance issue (sail) made us divert to Progreso. What a great place. Friendly people, nice marina, good food, and got the sail sewn for an excellent price.

bob77903 02-18-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1gardener (Post 832823)
Would like to take my mac 26 to florida in march and sail from some point on gulf coast to key west. Would be grateful for any tips advice or ideas.

Might put in at Fort Myers Beach area, head for Key West from there with a good weather window. I too wouldn't want to sail from the Florida Panhandle to Key West in that boat if I had a choice.

ppiccolo1 02-19-2012 02:53 PM

Thanks Yucatan cruiser for reviving this! I'm debating next winter in the gulf. Either Mexico or Florida on an O'day or Cat 25. I'm definitely a fair weather sailor though.

rchilders 11-15-2012 06:03 PM

Re: Texas to Isla Mujeres

I am about to close on a Choey Lee 48 ft sailboat which is in Galveston and I want to sail it to Isla Mujeres. A good time would be just after Christmas. Anyone know what the weather is like that time of year?

Yucatancruiser 11-16-2012 01:18 AM

Re: Texas to Isla Mujeres

If you watch the weather close, a good time to sail will be on the second day after a cold front entera Texas, so you will have wind and a decent weather window for thext few days. Once in the Yucatan there are more good days than bad at that time of year, so is a godo time to sail.