Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up CharlieCobra's EXCELLENT adwenture

The weather in the PNW was gorgeous for a change with temps in the mid 70's and winds from the North at 10-15 so two of my Sons and one of their friends just back from fishing in Alaska and my self decided to sail my Venture 21 from Anacortes to Friday Harbor on San Juan and back Saturday. We launched with a flood tide at about 10AM and motored out a mile or so to find wind. We sailed along at 4-4.5 knots across the Guemes Channel in leisure mode to the right turn into the always challenging Rosario Strait.

The wind came up and we blasted along with the tide and against the wind into 2-4 foot chop mixed with 4-6 foot breakers. With the speedo reading a peak of 7.4, we pounded through the waves at 30 degrees of heel while doing our best powerboat imitation. I didn't think you could fly a sailboat but I swear we left the water a few times jumping and pounding across some of the bigger waves. It was a wet and fun ride with the sails getting wet halfway up but the boat, and crew, handled it fine. It was fun to see the looks on some of the other sailor's faces as we blew by them with all sails up while they were only flying their jibs. Finally, the sleigh ride ended and we turned into Thatcher Pass and glassy water.

We motored through this and over the top of Lopez, below Shaw and into the San Juan Channel where the winds came back. So, here I am, sailing along on a Starboard tack, running 5.8 knots while listening to the tunes and enjoying life when my Son points back behind us. I look back to see 400' and 3,000 tons of Washington ferry just 200' off my Port quarter at 15 knots. Hollering "Crash Tack!" I put the helm hard a starboard and scooted away from the beast. Amazingly, the ferry wakes aren't bad at all. The tugs however, are a different story. So after the encounter, we sailed proudly straight into the entrance to Friday Harbor, dropped sails, contacted the Harbormaster for a slip and motored in to tie off at 4PM at which time I noticed that my wallet had once again left my pocket and apparently, left the boat this time. Luckily, Christopher bought me Lunch.

After eating and walking around in the sunshine in this gorgeous little tourist trap called Friday Harbor, we launched again, motored to the fuel dock where the lady put up the CLOSED sign while we were 50' off the dock. Thankfully, she let us fuel anyway. My little outboard has no gears, it starts in forward so you have to spin it around to do reverse. So, I started out in forward only to have the boat glue itself to the dock as we tried to get away which prompted a quick spin to pull us off while looking STUPID in the process. No harm, no foul, we motored out, raised sail and left the harbor only to find NO WIND. We found wind in the place where it was glassy before and did some nice sailing to the strait.

On reaching the Rosario Strait, we again found no wind and had to motor towards home with big rollers on the beam and later on the quarter. About an hour after sunset we caught good air once more as we approached Thatcher Pass and were off. With everyone on the rail and once again heeled to 25 - 30 degrees we were running along at 6.0 knots steady and surfing to a max of 8.4 down one of these rollers. We were running right at the speed of the waves so when we'd surf, we'd stay on the face of the wave for up to a minute at a a time. I was in the corner trimming while Christopher was driving. He did very well in some challenging conditions. Picture this, four peeps on the rail with the sails still full up, heeled at 25 - 35 downwind with following, quartering seas at night while surfing. It was OUTSTANDING!!!!

We exited the Pass in full dark into no wind, fired up the OB and headed across the Guemes Channel for the ramp via GPS. Of course, the OB ran outta gas and filling the tank in rollers at night was fun but so what. The boys got their first taste of phosphorescence and were playing footsies with the water coming up the keel cable hole. I was amazed at how well I could see out there. Along about 10PM we got within 100' of the black hole the GPS said was our destination, fired up the searchlight and lo and behold, there was the unlighted ramp. Simply amazing. We dropped sails, in the cold light of an LED flashlight and motored in.

We tied off, hopped on the dock and promptly started shivering with cold. Actually, I think it was adrenaline letdown since it was only 58*. Of course, we HAD to go and the honey buckets were far away and invisible in the dark so we added to the Sound and were amazed at the globes of phosphorescence that chased our streams around. You can just imagine, one 51 y/o and three 20-21 y/os at the end of the dock in the middle of the night laughing their collective tails off. Of course, the adventure wasn't quite done. The trailor lights went out while I was backing down and I couldn't see the back of the trailer. To make a long story short, I managed to drop the left front wheel off the ramp and ground the frame. I had it in 4X4 already because the ramp is algae covered but she wouldn't hook, just spun all four. The boys jumped in the bed and I managed to jump her back up on the ramp while throwing saltwater and sand all over everything. We recovered the boat and went home finally, exhausted to the core.

Here it is Tuesday and we're all STILL amped over the trip. This was the friends first sail and he is SO hooked now. Now my daughters are all clamoring to go for a sail like this because all the boys talked about at the after party was this trip. I guess I'll be doing this again SOON!!

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 09-11-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like a good day of sailing.... I hope you took photos and are going to post some..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nope, my Nikon is hosed at the moment so it's gotta go in the shop. I wish I had a video camera with me 'cause the action was intense. However, it wasn't a non stop adrenaline rush. There were plenty of peaceful moments of simply cruising fast and smooth. We saw all kinds of sea states in this trip including some HUGE rollers from dead ahead in smooth water that felt like a slow motion roller coaster. They had to be 8 footers or better and just smooth as butter.
Old 09-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Charlie, that was a very nice story...I was there with you...altough I am in Canada I don't know how many miles away from the ocean.

What is PNW?

Thanks for taking me sailing this morning...needed that....

I'm getting depressed already....bored...homesick...

You saved my day
Old 09-11-2007

byrondv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
We were running right at the speed of the waves so when we'd surf, we'd stay on the face of the wave for up to a minute at a a time.
Aww... now you have made me all jealous. Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing it
Old 09-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giu-

PNW—Pacific North West... Basically the area from Oregon up to Alaska...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2007
On the hard

Yep Alex, up in the San Juans with four tides a day, tricky winds and trickier currents in cold COLD water. This little trip made my Summer so far. It took forever to get back into work mode, if I have at all yet.
Old 09-11-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hey...I'm not that far from there...i am in Saskachewan Canada.

We have been further before....

4 tides you mean 2 full and 2 empty, right?? ehehehe

Cultra is like that. I miss my boat and the family. will you sail next weekend??
Old 09-11-2007
On the hard

If the weather holds yes. One of my daughters wants to do the same trip. I've gotta check the tides though. Yes, two flood, two ebb. The tides are tricky around the islands and I don't wanna fight them again. I've been there done that once. You can sail full out and go backwards in some spots up here.
Old 09-11-2007

Then take some photos....please.......

I am getting really depressed and have started photoshoping already.....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.