Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007

kestrelsail is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all your advice. Sorry if I didn't make it clear but I'm looking ahead about 10 to 15 years for this dream. I just wanted to gain a little understanding about the logisics so I can keep the dream alive until I retire in a few more years and can start a slow process of making it more a reality. Would love to hear stories from those who have done it. Many thanks-
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2007

kestrelsail is on a distinguished road
wow that was a little eerie- you answed my question seconds before I even asked it and the name of the boat was kestrel. Many thanks- looks like a great read.
Old 09-18-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
One thing you might think about when you get a bit more experience is crewing on either the ARC or the return ARC Europe which runs every yearand many couple boats need crew.
http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/
Old 09-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelsail View Post
wow that was a little eerie- you answed my question seconds before I even asked it and the name of the boat was kestrel. Many thanks- looks like a great read.

10 years??? 15 years???? Geee by then we won't need sailboats any more....

Haven't you heard global warming??? we're all on sailboats then...

Please call back sailnet in say.....9 years from now...
Old 09-19-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaga05 View Post
Sadly my father died of pneumonia just before we made landfall on a trip to Bermuda in 1991.
Otaga,
That must have been terrible...
Old 09-19-2007
Senior Moment

Slooptattoo is on a distinguished road
In reading your post, buying a boat, outfitting, prep, planning etc.,etc.,etc., doing the crossing and then having to sell the boat? Why not take a month off, fly to Antigua for race week, (1st of May) and find a berth on a boat looking for help doing the crossing. Then you don't have to buy a boat, do all the planning and still get to "cross". I would venture to say there will be at least 30 boats looking for crew to help with their crossing for the season. No investment, no hassle. If you end up liking it, buy a boat for the next run. Crossing the Atlantic, Antigua, Bermuda, Azores, Spain, etc. is no cakewalk in the best of weather. Finding an insurance carrier in todays market to cover the crossing gets interesting by itself just in crew qualifications. Good luck, whichever way you go.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
The Wind in the Willows
Old 09-19-2007
Senior Moment

Slooptattoo is on a distinguished road
I'm going to have to get used to reading these posts and not pipe in without finishing all the pages. Oh well......"senior moment".......

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
The Wind in the Willows
Old 09-20-2007

dpST is on a distinguished road
Me and my friends (four of as, maybe more) also want to sail across atlantic so I have few questions about it.. I didnt use search option jet, sorry if someone answered before.

Friend have sail boat, 2006 Beneteau Oceanis 393 clipper, its small for ocean cruising, but people cross atlantic with smaller boats (ww.meder.hu) so I think that wouldnt be problem. We already have navigation equipment and other electronics; e120 display, st60 (depth, wind, speed, tridata), 4kw radar, dsc vhf, epirb, navtex,..etc, but we dont have all maps (only map of Mediterranean). We also have notebook with gps modul, any recommendations for maps (where to buy it/download)? Is it necessary to have paper maps of all path?

How to ensure sufficient el./battery power for el. devices for such long distance? Oceanis have 150l tank (diesel) with 5-6l/h cons., if we use engine as generator that wouldnt be sufficient for trip over atlantic. Any suggestions?

Budget is around 10k $, would that be enough for all expenses?

We plan to go in this time next year (we be millioners ), after hurricane season. Departure will be from Split (Croatia/Europe) to Barbados and return to Split. Is there any tips'n'trick about return (winds, currents, best path,..)?

Thnx!

Last edited by dpST; 09-20-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dpst....welcome! You might heck out the ARC site as lots of boats either join the ARC or go with them without registering since this is the best ime to cross the Atlantic and the ArcEurope is the best way and time to return home.
Your boat is not well suited for blue water cruising but worse boats have made it. It is more difficult to get back to Europe than to get to the Caribe from Europe.
You MUST have paper charts and a regular GPS in addition to the PC/GPS.
You MUST also have a life raft and be sure your EPIRB battery is not old.
You will need to carry extra diesel in plasitc jugs strapped to your stanchions. You should also have a large manual bilge pump on board for emergencies and an SSB radio to get weather reports and for emergencies.
$10000 would be quite enough for cruising on a budget but will not cover any major repairs to engine/hull/rig so you will need to take that into consideration. Insurance will run $3-4K per year or you can take your chances if you can afford to lose the boat.
Hope this is helpful to you. Here's the ARC link:
http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/

and on p.14-16 is a listing of their required safety standards for the voyage...whether you join them or not, this is a good list for your own boat preparation:
http://www.worldcruising.com/docs/WCC_regs07ENG.pdf
Old 09-21-2007

dpST is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Dpst....welcome! You might heck out the ARC site as lots of boats either join the ARC or go with them without registering since this is the best ime to cross the Atlantic and the ArcEurope is the best way and time to return home.
Your boat is not well suited for blue water cruising but worse boats have made it. It is more difficult to get back to Europe than to get to the Caribe from Europe.
You MUST have paper charts and a regular GPS in addition to the PC/GPS.
You MUST also have a life raft and be sure your EPIRB battery is not old.
You will need to carry extra diesel in plasitc jugs strapped to your stanchions.
Thnx for answer! I didnt find "new member" thread so I didnt introduce myself, I live in Split (vvv.split.info/eng/)*, Croatia, city on adriatic coast. I'm 28y old, and work as director in my own company, wholesale of office paper and business gifts. My friend have sail boat, Beneteau Oceanis 393, I also plan to buy boat but "financial construction" isnt over yet.

I have few more questions (about food on long trip etc..) but now I dont have time to write it because I have to be on boat in 30min, we go sail around island on adriatic for practice.

*I cant post url (dont have 10+ posts), so change "vvv" to "www".

Sorry for possible gramatics errors, I hope you understand my posts.