Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Deja vu.
This whole scenario sounds very familiar to me for some reason. Wasn't there a poster many months ago with similar dreams - Jewelry designer wife/webdesigner husband?
Old 09-28-2007

jldooley is on a distinguished road
I can offer no advise on buy boat 'X' as its 'best'

However, I would buy a book describing How you made a decision, and exactly how much it cost for you to do it.

The only site (1) I have found describing cruising and explaing cost in detail was written by trust fund babies.

I don't have a multi million dollar trust fund so its practically useless to me.
Write a book describing how you Did It for 50k and you'll never work again.
best of luck, j
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Deja vu.
This whole scenario sounds very familiar to me for some reason. Wasn't there a poster many months ago with similar dreams - Jewelry designer wife/webdesigner husband?
I think there was... maybe that's just a really common career pairing... NOT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-28-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Josh,

As one of the few sailors on here that is actually passionate about trawlers (let me rephrase that... SOME trawlers), I can probably answer almost all your questions. I did end up getting abother sailboat (my fourth fixed keel), but not without an effort the other way.

Before I type too much on the whole trawler bit, I will emphasize what has been written earlier. Just one of the engines out of a respectable trawler could exceed your budget. A respectable trawler (displacement) goes in my preferential order of:

1) Nordhavn (I like the old 46... and some aspects of the new 47). You should have no problem picking up a 18 year old 46 for about $400-450,000... but may need some updating. A newish 47 will likely cross 1 million.

2) Kadey-Krogen. They 42's are a good boat and very sea worthy. You can get one in decent shape for in the mid-200's. One of the newer wide bodys will be considerbaly more and approach the cost of a Nord, depending on age.

3) Selene. These are made by Marlow Marine. Good boats. Kinda the best of Nord's and Krogen's, but I am not sure in my opinion that the same level of quality is there. I think they run in the 600,000 range... but I have not priced one lately.

4) Cape Horn. Very, very nice boats. Like the Nord (and debateably the Krogen and Selene), these are go aroung the world boats. Made out of solid steel, submarine-water tight doors and hatches, bulbous bow like freighters. However, the cost typically puts them out of the running for most. You can drop an easy million on one of these.

That is about the end of the list on full disp trawlers that I am aware of or would be intersted in considering. So, before I put much time discussing the virtues of each, if that is out of your price bracket (which I assume it is), better pass on that idea.

In the 50k range, for coastal and bahamas, etc... get an old production boat. You don't need a bullet proof shoe box. Catalina is my strong preference - but I like Jeauneau and Bene also. Those are my personal preferences, in order. There are many other boats that others will suggest on here, but for what you plan on doing, you do not need a "blue-water" tub. You will want as much space as you can get. Liveaboard is totally different than the weekender and your boat just became your home.

If you want to consider semi displacement trawlers, the list is too long for me to mention. Albins have been a preferece of mine, but there are many others. Still, I think a 50k price tag will be nothing but a down payment. If you find a 50k trawler, I would be concerned about it having more problems than another 50k could cover. However, the same may very well be said of a 50k sailboat. Be cautious what you buy and get a good survey. There are some great boats out there... and some real junk that will leave you broke monetarily, mentally and physically.

Just some initial thoughts. If you have more questions about trawlers or sailboats... ask away. Esp on the sailboats, you will get more "opinions" than you can handle on this site!!!

Good luck in your search.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-28-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Don't drop your dream, or you'll end up as an old fuddy-duddy still dreaming of it. Read Annie Hill's "Voyaging on a small income" to see what's involved. People do it and young people do it better (or they can put up with less money and more hardship).
Old 09-28-2007

dpST is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcook5003 View Post
Also I have always read you should buy the boat which will take you cruising now.....anyone have suggestion on makes/models to keep an eye open for that I can buy and "fix up" for an initial investment of $50K.....
You can't buy fair motorboat for $50k. Maybe 10+years old sundancer 26-32, but I doubt.

Btw., did you find (sat.) network/broadband connection or you try to find it? Because I also plan to go for long trip (accros Atlantic) and trying to find cheap net connection but without sucess.
Old 09-28-2007

jcook5003 is on a distinguished road
Wow what a huge response, all very honest and I appreciate that and wont like most whine about it....

I didnt think I could buy a trawler for my 50k budget target but I knew I could buy a sailboat for budget.....but there again I thought I was pretty clear about that but sorry if I wasnt

As far as my business my site wouldnt go down per se if I hosted it from a third party computer and only manged it from my laptop, which could be done everytime I was in port or on the hook with a sat. connection which I know is possible because a good friend of mine sets his sat connection up everywhere he takes his "liveaboard" RV, I will investigate more into it and post my findings here. As I said before I am only in the research phase.....

And as far as my wifes e-site, it shouldnt be hard to keep her in supplies, with local goods etc. and it shouldnt be hard to ship items with a 14 day policy, there again just looking into research options here.....

Well guys sorry I stirred up such a fuss I was hoping to generate some conversation only on the basis that I hadnt done my research and was planning/dreaming I will find out more and come back here to post my findings for some more advice.
Old 09-28-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
A thought -

Our latest sailbaot is quite livable, and cost well under 20K with upgrades and parts to get it back in shape. It's quite seaworthy from what we can tell, and we're getting geared up to cruise the gulf of mexico and maybe a great loop.

My dad's nordhavn cost him over 700K without fees and taxes. I remember when he bought it, and I got to glance at the papers before I almost fell out of the chair. He spends about $7500 annually on fuel to cruise south california , baja mexico and over to hawaii. so far this year, I've spent $184.33 on fuel. I can keep the few receipts in my logbook.

I haven't put thousands of miles on my sailboats yet, but I can guarantee you I can cruise for just as many miles as he can, just slower and nearly for free.

I have about a 30-40 gallon tank for a 25 horsepower motor and I use it about 10% of my time saiing. He has about 1500 gallons and uses the twin diesels constantly unless in port, then usually a generator is running in absence of shore power leads.

My wife and I were your age when we started "fun adventures" like what you're planning on doing about 10 years ago. We've searched for our own boat, and lived aboard the Nordhavn too. Now we're on sailboats and are very happy, much more so than a power boat / passagemaker.
We have a house too, but we could very easily live aboard the 28 footer if we had to and lived in an area that would be proper.

Initially I thought space and comfort would be a premium, so we bought a Beneteau 323 which was like a floating cavern, and it would be big enough for either one of us to single hand. Now that we've been out sailing and learning, we re-addressed what we like in a sailboat and now we have a little lancer 28 which is PERFECT for us.

I wish I could have seen what I needed beforehand and it would have saved me thousands of dollars on fees, surveys, and a stressful $150,000 loan I wouldn't be able to pay with just my retirement pension if I wanted to cruise too. If we had to manage a business, I'd keep the bene, otherwise we both really enjoy our Lancer 28 (and anyone here can tell you I have an affair with it, Andrea calls it my mistress) and it cost more than a hundred thousand dollars less after a complete restoration adn refit, with all modern electronics rigging, sails and anything else we found needed to be re-done. It's really a new boat with an old hull and mast.

So, certainly $50K is very do-able for a cruising boat. Heck, 30K would exceed what we've sunk into the Lancer so far and it is perfect for us now, and is heavy/stable enough to take to the sea, and if we crash it, no problem; we didn't loose our shirts too much. insurance is less than $250.00 A YEAR for full replacement cost on everything we've put into it. It was 6 times that on the Bene, and required by the mortgage broker.

A note about our Beneteau - when I used to singlehand it, I used to get flat nervous because there was just so much money at stake each time I cast off. I can relax with the Lancer and learn learn learn, not to mention enjoy sailing without a care in the world and having a f-ing great time.

Sail to enjoy it, not to show off or worry. Have fun with your best friend as much as you can before kids come and the game changes. Do what makes you happy and you're reap the benefits ten fold.

Read up on "Modern Cruising Under Sail" and "Singlehanded Sailing" as well as "Storm Tactics" the you'll have a great clarity on what you NEED to get your task done, rather than what you'll think you need. Also grab an Annapollis (sp?) Guide to Seamanship manual and a Duttons Navagation book.

Hope that helps you in your search!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 09-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A terrestrial satellite connection is far easier to setup and maintain, since the RV once parked, is effectively stationary... a boat is always moving... even when at anchor or tied up to a pier... it will rock, yaw, roll, as the waves and wind move it. A gyro-stabilized satellite dish, which is what you would require, is fairly expensive and the data rates are per megabyte, not a flat fee like the terrestrial satellite providers may have.

Shipping from foreign locations may very well not be doable within a 14-day policy. Say you find out about an order, but are three-days from a port with international shipping facilities. Shipping it overnight from the port is probably more than most people are going to be willing to pay, but it has to go out via air to the mainland in any case which is still going to be pretty expensive. So, figure that it takes a day to clear customs in the country you're in... that's now four days...plus a day to get it to the United States, which is where the bulk of your customers are probably going to be... Then you have a weekend... that's seven days minimum just to get into the US not barring any complications with customs coming into the country. Clearing US Customs can take a couple of days, and they don't work weekends... so you're up to nine days... ground transport can take

Also, does she have the experience and knowledge to deal with importing/exporting from the various countries into and out of the USA?? If not, then you might want to re-think this a bit.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-28-2007

emagin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to emagin Send a message via Yahoo to emagin
Check this out, should set you off in the right direction with your research.
I have a ton of cruising links, if any of you are into social bookmarking, maybe we could set up a shared cruising links group on diigo.com