SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Lots of General Questions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/37190-lots-general-questions.html)

jcook5003 09-28-2007 06:32 AM

Lots of General Questions

Hey guys I have been lurking here forever but just registered this morning and have a few questions, I am in the research phase of cruising and have lots of questions to get me headed in the right direction......

I am going freelance with my web design which should allow to work from anywhere with internet access which should be fairly easy with marinas/satellite internet, and my wife makes jewelry which we hope to have up and running in an online store soon, so I think we should be able to sustian the cash flow required for cruising.

But I still need some general poking to get myself headed in the right direction, I know you guys here are obviously biased towards sailboats but whats your opinion on displacement fuel efficient motorboats for long term cruising, I would think the overall operation costs and maintence would come out to about the same......

Also I am still undecided on a cruising destination, I would either like to do the great loop cruise or head to the bahamas and carribean, any opinions?

Also I have always read you should buy the boat which will take you cruising now.....anyone have suggestion on makes/models to keep an eye open for that I can buy and "fix up" for an initial investment of $50K.....

Here again I feel like I must remind folks I am not trying to make any firm decisions here just get myself headed in the right direction for more specific questions.....

Thanks in advance for the input and advice
Josh

PBzeer 09-28-2007 07:16 AM

The first thing I would determine, in your position, is your cruising grounds, how you'll cruise, and what you expect from cruising. Also, what level of ammenities will be necessary. That will go a long way towards determining the type of vessel, and the necessary budget.

For instance, should you decide to do the Great Loop, a power boat makes more sense, as you'd be primarily motoring anyway. Going offshore, I think a sailboat would be a better choice.

Obviously, there's much more to consider, but, in my opinion, that should be your starting point. Good luck in your efforts.

jcook5003 09-28-2007 07:20 AM

Thanks and I know I had a lot of open ended questions here but I am just trying to get myself going in the right direction.....towards a decision

I am heavily leaning towards a 2-4 year cruise through the bahamas....then reverteing to part-time cruising after that, my wife and I are still young 22 and 23.....so we have lots of time to make up our minds.

TrueBlue 09-28-2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

I know you guys here are obviously biased towards sailboats but whats your opinion on displacement fuel efficient motorboats for long term cruising, I would think the overall operation costs and maintence would come out to about the same......
I suspect that since you're posting these questions on a sailing forum, that you and your wife may still be at a decision crossroads as regards to s/v or m/v.

However, if you have decided to go power - why ask sailors who will surely only provide biased recommendations?

On the other hand, I selected a well designed motorsailer that provides more variations, enabling us to sail at near-hull speed, motorsail when going to weather, or motor only at 8-9 knots. Your budget is somewhat low for that option however.

jcook5003 09-28-2007 09:18 AM

I am extremely biased towards sailing vessels, I was only seeking objective advice from you alls point of view, obviously I will ask the same questions on a motor vessel board also.....sorry if I caused any confusion.

Although I am intersted in the motorsailing option I think it would take us to long to save enough funds to buy a boat like that......

sailingdog 09-28-2007 10:58 AM

Getting a sailboat that is capable of long-term cruising with two people aboard for $50,000 is doable. There are a lot of older good boats out there that would do the job.

Just be aware that cruising and reliable internet access aren't really achievable without a big capital investment and having fairly large battery banks to support the hardware required IMHO. That generally isn't doable on a small cruising boat, with a limited budget.

I don't know how reasonable it would be for you to expect to be able to run both an on-line store for your wife's jewelry business or your web design business from the boat. This is especially the case if she is the designer and maker of the jewelry, which would require her to have access to supplies as well as the ability to ship her product—neither of with is feasible on a cruising boat.

IMHO, it might make more sense to build up both businesses, and spend some years chartering, and then sell both and buy a boat and move aboard...rather than trying to run two businesses which aren't really appropriate to a cruising lifestyle.

TrueBlue 09-28-2007 11:07 AM

He obviously has not done much research on pricing displacement diesel-engine powerboats, suitable for offshore and liveaboard use. 50k is nowhere near enough. It is doable with sailboats however.

CharlieCobra 09-28-2007 11:28 AM

If you want to run an internet ecommerce solution, you'll need to host it at a Data Provider and then just maintain it from your boat. The issue is going to be that the site will go down when you're out of contact, not while you're cozy in some marina with broadband access. That's just the way it is.

sailingdog 09-28-2007 11:29 AM

Well, if he wants a trawler, then he's gonna have to pony up more money, probably closer to 200K, and then there's all the lovely fuel he has to buy to feed it. :D

sailingdog 09-28-2007 11:31 AM

Charlie-

I don't think he's thinking of hosting any site or e-commerce solutions from the boat. Just that he wants to be able to run a web-design business fromt the boat—which generally requires reliable and fairly high-speed internet access. He also wants to be able to run his wife's jewelry e-commerce site from the boat... and if she is the designer/maker of the jewelry, then she needs to have access to both reliable internet and reliable shipping—neither of which is normally the case on a cruising boat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra (Post 199199)
If you want to run an internet ecommerce solution, you'll need to host it at a Data Provider and then just maintain it from your boat. The issue is going to be that the site will go down when you're out of contact, not while you're cozy in some marina with broadband access. That's just the way it is.