Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just because others have done it... doesn't necessarily mean it is a good idea. A 20' sailboat is awfully small...and a Cal 20 is awfully lightly built for a trans-oceanic crossing. In the 20' range, you might look at Pacific Seacraft Flickas, which are probably a lot more suitable.

Also, it would depend a lot on your experience... if you're very experienced, you might be able to make that voyage on a SeaSprite 22 or something similar... but you'd really have to know the boat, keep a good eye on the weather and be prepared to take your lumps when you get out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Willy,

What about my second question:

Are you talking about sneaking along the coast ducking into protected anchorages along the way?

I would have a completely different opinion of that than a blue water cruise. In a few rare cases, a small boat can actually be preferable (some long stretches with inlets that are too shallow for large boats). But, some of the hairiest water around is inlets with tidal currents and skirting shore lines means there are always nearby shallows and/or rocks to get blown into in a storm. So, while I would have a different opinion, I have to admit I am not sure what it is. Also, I am not one of the more experienced sailors - this is more thinking out loud and repeating what I have read.
Old 10-01-2007

willykunkle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
Willy,

What about my second question:

Are you talking about sneaking along the coast ducking into protected anchorages along the way?

Yes sir, I was planning on just heading up the coast, not too far from shore.
Old 10-01-2007
Cabin boy

JimHawkins is on a distinguished road
Willy - go the other way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz View Post
Is there a reason that half the people here seem Hell-bent on trying to see the world via sailboat on $17.00 budgets? I really just don't get it, Kids. My advice is that blue water cruising and circumnavigating entails a boat of at least 30 feet...
Hey Willy,
I've got a great idea for you. Instead of going west past Hawaii and through the Suez to get to get to Mexico and Central America, you could just heads south. It's true you'd have to go past California, but don't worry, it seems the people there don't pay any attention to what you say anyway.

Last edited by JimHawkins; 10-01-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Rick, so I now know I'm not cool, cause I have no idea what go-heads are, lol

"In the beginning, there were Go-heads, and they were da kine................"

Old 10-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHawkins View Post
Hey Willy,
I've got a great idea for you. Instead of going west past Hawaii and through the Suez to get to get to Mexico and Central America, you could just heads south. It's true you'd have to go past California, but don't worry, it seems the people there don't pay any attention to what you say anyway.
Hey Jim!!

Yeah that's what I was planning on. I think people are getting the wrong idea of what I was suggesting. I'm not planning a trans-pacific trip circumnavigating the earth to get to Mexico. It's directly due south of Oregon!

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-01-2007

Well, you two sure showed me right there. WTF was I ever thinking? The weather and the north-west coast of California is absolutely perfectly made for a Cal 20. That's why there are so many charter companies in Coos Bay.....
Old 10-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Even doing a coastal voyage down the west coast of the USA is going to be problematic in a Cal 20. Some of the worst stretches of water you can run into are along that way, with few ports of refuge and in many cases a bad lee shore situation... so heading out is often the best option... and in a Cal 20, I doubt you would be able to do that.

In some ways, a trans-oceanic voyage can be less dangerous, since you tend to have fewer things you can run into, as well as fewer lee shore type obstacles in your way. One friend of mine has pointed out that the most dangerous part of a long voyage is generally the start and finish, as you leave and approach land. Boats do fine when they have water under them... less well when they have land to hit.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-01-2007

Sailingdog-

Hmmm that's definitely something to think about. I'll just have to do plenty of research.
Old 10-01-2007

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-...ate&so=descend

http://www.marinesource.com/boat_sal...p_6410470.html