Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007

belliegirl2 is on a distinguished road
Buy the cal 20 in long beach or other so cal marina and sail from there to mexico. Ive sailed from long beach to mexico and its a pretty easy trip from there, my parents stopped me and a buddy from sailing his hobie 16 to mexico from there when we were 15.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
What was the helmsman thinking taking the boat between the south tower and the shoreline in that kind of a break? Sticking between the towers on the GGB would have been much safer and very well may have avoided the incident. Even in nasty weather, there is rarely a break under the middle of the bridge due to the extreme currents and deep water. I've been in some nasty big swells off of Bonita Point and Diablo Point in an 18 footer and made it in under the middle just fine. This looks like mostly human error and bad judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz View Post
Here's an interesting montage of when things go unwell.

(And no, I not trying to scare anyone, this just showed up on another board and the photography is quite good)..........

http://photos.sfsurvey.com/sailH/index.asp

Clicky on the first pic and it should go to full screen slide show mode. Very impressive photage...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Have you seen the rescue from that incident? Now here's something to fear under the GGB:

Gotta love photoshop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
As usual Mr. Ganier brings up an excellent point. Captain Bligh sailed his longboat because it was the only boat he had. I suspect Robert crossed the Atlantic in his boat for much the same reason. There are countless threads here devoted to the ideal cruising boat, if not the ideal deep sea boat. I suspect that many young people do not feel that they have the time, money, and certainly not the patience to acquire that lightly used Swan and end up saying, "screw it, this is what I got, I'm going".

I believe there was a post not that long back about someone in the Caribbean watching for a break in the weather, when a 24 footer sailed into harbor. Inquiring on where the young German (?) man had come from he received the reply, "Africa". Inquiring further as to how he'd gotten here, the young man replied, "I headed west". I may be off in the details but I think it illustrates Mr. Ganier's point quite well; "go small, go young, go now".
Old 10-02-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Extra credit?
I actually call them "go-aheads" and the reason is that you can't back up in flip-flops, you can only walk forward or go ahead.
Old 10-02-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Extra credit?
I actually call them "go-aheads" and the reason is that you can't back up in flip-flops, you can only walk forward or go ahead.
Nicely done, Sir.

"Tell us what our contestant has won, Johnny"............
Old 10-02-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

Please don't tell me it's a copy of, "Grilling with the Cruising Dad".
Old 10-02-2007

Quote:
Please don't tell me it's a copy of, "Grilling with the Cruising Dad".
Haven't heard of that one, but if you like to cook, try this oldie but goody. My fave for cruising--and at home......

And no, I'm not gonna send you a copy on my peso.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TERENCE-JANERICC...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-03-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Captain Bligh sailed his longboat because it was the only boat he had. I suspect Robert crossed the Atlantic in his boat for much the same reason. There are countless threads here devoted to the ideal cruising boat, if not the ideal deep sea boat. I suspect that many young people do not feel that they have the time, money, and certainly not the patience to acquire that lightly used Swan and end up saying, "screw it, this is what I got, I'm going".
As a teenager I did a lot of sailing in a 22 foot Sea Sprite daysailor. When I was getting ready to do my first trans-Atlantic in 1974 I arranged sponsorship and had a Sea Sprite weekender built for the trip. That trip and the deals that made it possible started to come together in 1971 when I was only 18. She was not quite a stock boat but close to it. I had decided that sailing was what I wanted to do and turning my trips into sponsored events was the way I paid for everything. It was clear to me that if I did the conventional thing and worked first and then sailed after retirement I would be, as I am today old and tired when I started doing long distance sailing so I wanted to sail first and then retire from the world of professional sailing into a sailing related job and settle down. I never quite got the settle down part right but I did get into the boat design/build/repair business.

I donít understand where most people get the impression that small boat sailing is tough or dangerous. At one time long distance cruising in decked sailing canoes was normal and trips of over a thousand miles were not uncommon. The British still have a yearly trip from England to Iceland by kayak. There is a class of 17 foot boats that used to race trans Atlantic on a regular basis and of course a lot of small boats are out there doing long trips without any fanfare at all and most of you just donít hear of them. Sometimes I think the most vocal opponents of small boat voyaging are the people with the least experience with or knowledge about the subject. I have cruised in boats as small as 13 feet and most of my long trips were done on boats without engines or electrical systems. In fact my first crossing was on a boat that was a real sailboat and she didnít have an engine. And letís not get started on the subject of GPS instead of sextant. Today you donít need to know a third of what you needed to know before modern gear and GPS became popular. Long distance sailing has become safer and simpler then ever before. And in a strange twist I think that may spell the end of long distance sailing was we know it today. As more people try it without proper preparations and using larger boats that they canít handle in an emergency the governments have taken notice and started to think about regulation because of the increase in accidents and problems that go with inexperience and ignorance offshore.

Is a Cal 20 suitable for the trip this gentleman is considering? If you have decided to base your plans on a light displacement boat the Cal 20 is an excellent choice for offshore work. She can be made ready with a minimum amount of work and I think if you do your homework and prepare properly you will have a great time. Not my style in boats but still a great choice. Each boat is different and requires a plan written for the trip/boat combination. I like to sail in CCA style boats but have enough experience in light boats to understand the attraction they have for some people. A light boat requires a different mindset for stores and storm tactics and definitely will not be able to sail on the same routes that a heaver boat could sail. But there are no problems about the Cal 20 and the trip this man is considering that good planning couldnít overcome.

After everything is said and done as far as the boat goes the biggest question becomes one about the person himself. Some people donít ever get comfortable in a small boat and some find that being alone and out of sight of land is not as much fun as they expected. Small boat sailing isnít for everyone and thatís fine. Build up to it and make sure you really want to do it before committing to a long trip you might not enjoy. But as someone else said, go small go now, and I think he was right because you are young and capable only once and having money and larger boats comes with age. And age dulls the sense of adventure and kills the spirit. I have never regretted for a moment the sailing I did as a kid but would not do any of it today. I sail a Tartan 34C now and want a dry warm bunk these days.
Good luck and all the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 10-03-2007

Very nice, Mr. Gainer. You took the 612 words right out of my mouth............