Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007

willykunkle is on a distinguished road
Cruising On A Cal 20

After reading the article in Sailing MAgazine about K.P. Chin sailing to Hawaii on a Cal 20 I feel very inspired. I am planning on a trip from Portland, OR to Mexico and Central America this next summer on a Cal 20. Anybody done anything similar on a Cal 20 or other pocket cruiser??

I would encourage anybody to read the article!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Is there a reason that half the people here seem Hell-bent on trying to see the world via sailboat on $17.00 budgets? I really just don't get it, Kids. My advice is that blue water cruising and circumnavigating entails a boat of at least 30 feet, well built, a year to prep and practice on her, some well made gear, some research and a strict exercise program to adhere to. This "He did it on a Laser" crap is a recipe for possible disaster at the worst, but more probably at least utter disapointment most of the time. Just save up and buy the proper tool for the job. Like anything else.........
Old 10-01-2007

Read John Vigor's "20 Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere". He STRONGLY disagrees with you. Not everyone can afford a 50k+ for a boat. Maybe you're sick of young, capable people with big plans, personally I'm kinda getting sick of old elitist yuppies who think you need to be born rich to sail a boat.
Old 10-01-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Willy,

I have been in contact with a guy who took a boat just like mine to the Bahamas. That doesn't make it a good idea and I don't plan to do it. It's nice to know that someone pushed the limits and got away with it. I understand why people do it. It sounds really exciting and I can imagine myself doing it and it is a fun little mental exercise.

How much experience do you have? Are you talking about sneaking along the coast ducking into protected anchorages along the way?

Rick,

$17.00 ?!?! Aw man, I gotta save my allowance for three more weeks!
Old 10-01-2007
Peace, Courtney

DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about DJEVANS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by willykunkle View Post
Read John Vigor's "20 Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere". He STRONGLY disagrees with you. Not everyone can afford a 50k+ for a boat. Maybe you're sick of young, capable people with big plans, personally I'm kinda getting sick of old elitist yuppies who think you need to be born rich to sail a boat.
Where did you get elitist yuppy? He didn't say you had to spend a lot of money on the boat, he just advised a larger one, some of which can be had for the right price, and some preparation, including a good exercise regimen...why the personal attack on someone trying to give good advice?

-Mignon McLaughlin
Old 10-01-2007

DJ-

Hey sorry about that, I didn't mean it to sound so hostile. It doesn't seem like Rick was really trying to give any advice, just belittle me and discourage me.
Old 10-01-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by willykunkle View Post
It's just solid advice, Pal. Take it or leave it. And just because Vigor says you can doesn't mean crap. Because everyone knows that the boat (a good one at least) will usually fare better than the person driving it.

And 50K is the perfect number for people seriously considering off shore work. Ten K is not even remotely close.

BTW, are YOU capable? That's by far the most important question........

And trust me, Yuppie is the last thing I am. I'm the youngest 50 y/o kid you'll ever meet. I live in go-heads and shorts and listen to AFI and Linkin' Park. And I love to share my adventures with kids and give advice and encourage them when I can. Safely and wisely, that is--not foolishly. But hey, have at it. And next time your here in So Cal, catch the Cal 20 fleet at work when it's blowing 22. That may cure you of your unrealistic dreams..........
Old 10-01-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz View Post
Is there a reason that half the people here seem Hell-bent on trying to see the world via sailboat on $17.00 budgets? I really just don't get it, Kids. My advice is that blue water cruising and circumnavigating entails a boat of at least 30 feet, well built, a year to prep and practice on her, some well made gear, some research and a strict exercise program to adhere to. This "He did it on a Laser" crap is a recipe for possible disaster at the worst, but more probably at least utter disapointment most of the time. Just save up and buy the proper tool for the job. Like anything else.........
After all these years I am very sorry to find out that I was only fooling myself when I did trans Atlantic trips on 22 footers, 27 footers 30 footers etc. At the time I thought I was having fun.

Willy,
A 20 foot Cal is a little light for my taste. You might have problems carrying enough provisions because carrying capacity and the boats displacement are related. The heaver the boat the more weight you can carry is a general rule. Also the smaller boat doesn’t work to windward in any kind of a headwind so you need to be very careful about your choice of route. And the usual caveats about preparing both yourself and the boat.
Good luck and enjoy,
Robert Gainer

Last edited by Tartan34C; 10-01-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2007

Arbarnhart-
I've grown up sailing with my dad. We've cruised the Columbia River, Puget Sound, and the San Juan/Gulf Islands very extensively. Yes, this will be my biggest trip to date, but I don't see any reason I wouldn't be capable of it.

Thanks for the response!

Willy
Old 10-01-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Rick, so I now know I'm not cool, cause I have no idea what go-heads are, lol
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.