Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Cruising cost

Many of the answers written are correct, but what we've found is, that just like living on land, you spend what you've got.
Sounds kinda odd but it's the truth. we've been on the water full time for the past 4 years and have met many people going in all directions, and after awhile the question never comes up, unless you happen to be a new cruiser or wishing to be one. Most everyone works part time here or there to keep the cruising budget full.
As far as money out of our pocket, we've had months where we spent as little as $50.00 but we've had others that we spent $3000.00. Like the month we broke the windless and our ding was stolen.
We spent a mass amount of money to outfit the boat in the first place but the sum of around $600.00 a month is a target we try to stay near.
But you have to understand, we dont drink that much. We only go out to dinner a couple times a month, and I trade a lot while I'm out..
Cruisers really dont have much money, so when you can help someone out in exchange for a meal, you've just added to you,re kitty.
Its like, if you don't spend it, you've earned it.
And its not hard at all... A year or so ago I changed the fuel filters on my motor.. Somehow I got air in the line and could'nt get it out. had another cruiser help me out. The payment was dinner for him, his wife, and two kids... The wife cooked up a big stew and baked a couple loaves of bread and we all sat around stuffing ourselves and watching Capt Ron.
We made some great friends and My motor runs great, and not a penny out of our pockets.... Well maybe a couple for the added stew meat.
My point is, you dont have to be a consumer to be a cruiser.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
You should send that to HoffaLives. He seems a little discouraged and thinks liveaboards need to be rich. The secret is that if you live modestly, you can spend significantly less sailing than in a typical urban setting.

You can also spend significantly more, but I don't know those people.
Old 11-24-2007

diverpam is on a distinguished road
I, too, had the same question and have been finding good tidbits of information on this and similar boards.

I put together an online tool that can be used to calculate a monthly budget. Hopefully, experienced cruisers will share their actual expenses to help with some comparisons.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to improve.
"mynextmarina.com/CostofCruising.asp"

Thanks,
Pam
Old 11-25-2007
Glenn (s/v Seawing)

heslopg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to heslopg
I don't know much, but here are some obervations from my experiences:

Seperate boat repair from cruising expences. You WILL have to repair the boat while cruising. Do some pretty serious vetting of the boat before leaving. Even then, prepare to repair the boat while underway. If leavin the USA, take spares.

Think of your lifestyle now. How much are you REALLY willing to change? How often to you go out to eat? What kind of food you eat? What do you do for entertainment? You get the idea....what do you spend now & what will change? Think this over before you answer too quickly. Take both of you into account.

Marinas. If you need to be tied to a dock (& shore power) you will find cruising a rather expensive activity. If you have the budget, all the power to you (no pun intended). We almost exclusively anchor out. When we tie to a dock it's pretty much always a free dock (they are out there). I prefer anchoring out, but one should then become a student of anchoring and take it seriously. Just because the anchor is overboard, does not mean you are anchored.

You will probably want to spent some time & money getting your boat outfitted to be more self-sufficient while you have a shore-side income (wind generator, solar power, water maker etc., etc.).

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.