Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2002

xnavyx2 is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Graycie,
We''ve been on the two year plan toward our dream of a sailing life, for two years now. We''re ages 51 & 53 and left our jobs and careers behind last week! The house closes in 1 week and everything but just our bedroom furniture has sold after the third garage sale which ended today. Some friends say we''re crazy, but most are so happy for us. Heading for Fl tomorrow to find a tiny apt and to begin the boat search (looking for the perfect 42-50'' live-a-board. We''re certainly not rich or expert sailors, but are not going to look back some day and wish we would have followed our dream!
LL & CL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Now, I also know a couple in their sixties who have built (and rebuilt, upon sinking in New Jersey) a 32 foot ferrous cement boat. They are very happy currently bopping along the Hudson and the Sound and northerly (up to Rhode Island, as far as I know) in the summer and then spending the winters in Bermuda and the Bahamas. He has also rigged a way (we thought it would be impossible, but it does work) to singly distep the mast on her so that they could go up the canal or down the ICW at any time. So, there are ways around any obstacle you may think will come up.

Fair Winds,
MaryBeth
Old 07-18-2002

Charbonneau is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Graycie,

We shared your dream. We shared your fears. And, we found very little information to help us with the transition.

We took the leap two years ago, retiring in our mid-30s, and never looked back. As a thank you to all those who did provide information and as a way to ensure there was more information out there, we chronicled the whole affair on our website. Some things provoked humor, some provoked terror, others just became non-events even though we thought it was going to be difficult. Janet, my wife, captured the feelings and process of packing up our home in several articles on the subject.

We may not be the best writers in the world, but we are now cruisers who don''t mind sharing our personal experiences with the world. You can check out the site at http://www.SailCharbonneau.com. If you need encouragement or just an answer to a question, drop us a note at the email address on the site.

We hope to see you on the water soon.

All our best,

Blaine, Janet, Max & Bailey Parks

Old 07-18-2002

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Cruising Advice

If I had "retired" in my 30''s and sailed off for an idyllic life, I would have had two problems. First, I would not have really been able to convince myself that I had earned it. Secondly, I would not be able to afford to educate my son, as I am now doing, with a considerable burden. I am approaching 60, my son has two more years of college, I enjoyed a fulfilling career that served a useful purpose, I have taken care of life''s important business, and I enjoyed sailing and cruising on weekends and vacations along the way. Looking back from where I am now, I do not regret that I didn''t chuck it all and go sailing. If I make it for another couple years, and get to buy a bigger boat and go cruising, that will just be the icing on the cake.

The question you should be asking is, have you taken care of life''s important business?
Old 07-24-2002

Charbonneau is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Sailormon6,

You shouldn''t be so quick to judge others about their life choices. For us, "life''s important business" is to live our lives to the fullest before it passes us up and we look back with nothing more than "I wish we would haves". However, that doesn''t mean that we''ve "chucked" it all.

Like you, we have important people in our family who depend on us. Also like you, we support not one child, but three separate nieces in their college endeavors. Where we differ is in our inability to have children of our own. I guess that part of life''s important business was decided for us.

We worked hard and invested for 18 years -- I started at age 19 -- and instead of watching it wither over the last two years, we''ve been sailing and charting our own course. My wife had a brother who passed away suddenly in his mid 30''s and there is a strong run of heart disease in my family which tends to impose a shorter lifespan on my side of the family. That, and our ability to pull it off through tough sacrifices and work, is what lead us to this fork in the road. Our earlier post was to help the two who posed the question about cruising, not to debate when one should retire or how they should live their lives.

I hope that after achieving almost sixty years of life''s experiences, we don''t find ourselves as close minded and bitter as you appeared in your post.

Good luck to your son in college. I spent ten years chasing my college degree while working days, nights and weekends with no help from others. He''s lucky to have a father with the ability to help him with his education costs.

Wishing you many more sunsets and peaceful anchorages....
Old 07-25-2002

pmills42255 is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Gracie,
I am doing about the same thing you are, taking the next step. I plan to cruise and live aboard for 3 months this winter. My house is a valuable rental property so I need to keep it. This restrict the price I can pay for a boat, but its sound. I am 47, both kids will be in college, I am not married nor have have responsabilities as such. I can single hand the boat, now, maybe not in 10 years, who knows. Point is like everyone said, follow the dream. The posting about responsability, although sounding bitter, makes some sense. If you have some unfinished business, finish it. Ones life should have no regrets. Raising my kids till they are in college is done. I am ready to go! just need a boat, and I''m working on that.
Paul
Old 07-25-2002

Cruising Advice

Charbonneau and Paul,

The substance of my previous post was to suggest that if people take care of life''s important business, then God bless them if they decide to go cruising. That is a common dream of many sailors, myself included, and there is nothing wrong with doing it, if you have prepared for it in every respect. It would be tragic to see someone realize, after it is too late, that they made a huge mistake that they cannot correct.

Years ago, I was so serious about living aboard and cruising that I started selling all my "stuff," but I changed my mind. Now, I have a retirement income, health care, savings, property (that will help buy a boat, provide security and maybe even leave enough for a nest egg for my son''s first home), and the satisfaction of a meaningful career. When my son''s education is finished, all my important business will be done, and I will be ready to go cruising. I could not make the break until all those things were taken care of, and I am perfectly content with my choice. For me, it was the right choice.

When I read all the messages urging the original poster to go, it seemed to me that someone should pose what I believe is the most important question.
Old 07-26-2002

pmills42255 is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Sailormon6

I understand what you are saying, but I am afraid that you sound just like my father, in that until we all concede, things will not be right. Infact, each of us does what we do because we are different. I sense that my imediate responsabilities to children and family are satisfied. My children are in college, their mother lives close by in consideration of "kids home for the week end". I will be home during the summer months here in the Adirondacks, and cruise during the rest of they year. The only obsticle is financial, and buying a slightly bigger boat. I am working on that.
At some point, and we are all different, we need to achive life goals . Sailing encompasses several. I have a lot more good reasons to go sailing then not!
Paul
Old 07-27-2002

Cruising Advice

Charbonneau and Paul,

I haven’t presumed to tell you, or anyone else, where to draw the line when deciding whether to stay ashore or cast off. It appears that you have already given serious thought to the subject. All I said was that it was not the right choice for me. I did not mean to criticize you for making the decision. I have absolutely no idea what your circumstances were, and I really don’t want to know. I have said that, for me, my obligation to my son did not end when my legal obligation of support ended. The law forces us to support our children up to a point, and after that it is a matter of personal conscience. Each of us has to make those choices, based on our ability, and other personal circumstances. If people think those things through, and follow their consciences, they can leave with no regrets.

You say I am “close-minded,” that I “sound bitter,” that I “sound just like your father,” and that “until we all concede, things will not be right.” I regret that you misconstrued what I said. Perhaps I should have anticipated that my comments might be misunderstood, but sometimes I tap out a message on the keyboard, and if it looks o.k. to me, I post it without realizing that someone else might read it differently.

I think people should search their souls, and make the hard choice between their responsibilities and their dreams. It’s not pleasant to think about those things, or to make those choices, especially when you want, so much, to do something, but anyone who makes the break without thinking about those things will likely regret it.
Old 08-01-2002

TCIRKA is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Paul,
You are so right. I believe that everyone who has a dream should pursue it at all costs. To live one''s life always on the safe side blocks the path to one''s dreams. That is not to say that we do not need to fulfill our obligations to those around us and to contribute equally to society''s demands, but to have a true dream and to not at least try and achieve it would leave one to look back in later life with regret. And by this time it would be too late. I am 32 and I too am planning to go cruising in the next few years but like many my only obstacle is time and money. I have spent quite a long time looking for ways to get more of both of these and I believe I have found the perfect solution. If you''re interested in finding out more go to my website at www.unitoday.net/cirka
Let me know what you think. Hope this helps.
Todd, Lisa and Madelaine Cirka