Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2002

Graycie is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

We are a married couple, educators, in our late 40''s with a 28'' sloop. We keep reading, "Don''t wait, go now." In our hearts were READY, looking for solid advice. Thanks,
"Graycie"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2002

rgartley is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

First step. First ride without training wheels. First dance. First kiss. First cruise; ready to add it?
Old 04-01-2002

gnorbury is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

My wife and I are planning leave for a 1yr cruise later this year. The bit that daunts me most is packing up the house and storing everything for when (if?) we return.

Scary stuff!

Graham
Old 04-04-2002

Raindance is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

I encourage you to read Don Casey''s "Sensible Cruising" book. Besides lots of great tips from a reasonable, non-extreme man (there are so many extremists among cruisers), and the last section is a fictional first cruise for a couple going down the ICW to the Bahamas. It details highs, lows, and lessons learned.

I left in my mid-30''s, and everyone I met said the same thing, "I wish we''d done it when we were young like you are." I never once met anyone who said "I wish we had waited..."

GO NOW!
Old 05-16-2002

TrueWest is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

We chronicled most of our trip on our web site http://members.cox.net/robkerr

Hope it helps.
We''re in our 30''s and not independently wealthy. we just quit and went...in retrospect, best thing we''ve ever done.
But scary.
Old 05-19-2002

trampsailor is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

i would like to say to you go......

i am a 56 year old trampsailor, as the name implies, left the corp. world 19 yrs ago with a wife and still 3 children at home. my only regret, we did not do it when we started sailing, (we started in our early teens).

the boat doesn''t have to be a million dollar luxury liner, all she has to be is sea worthy. you don''t need all the fancy gizmos, all you need is the dream, and a willingness to work, it was the best thing we could have done for ourselves and our kid, (note, no money, no fortune, just a solid wooden boat and a desire to be free)

go
Old 06-03-2002

sail4kids is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Howdy!
As a captian of a cruising vessel that takes children that are in trouble with the law.I can tell you my experience in this way.Make a plan(where you want to go).Then think of what it will take to get there is good shape.Travel light, but make sure you have enuff of what you need for the time you plan to be gone.Always plan for the worse,that will ensure you have a great time.Make sure you have all your boat documents in line and passports or raised seal birth cert.Always check the weather before you leave safe water and you will be just fine.I dont say go,cause you know when your ready,but you are not getting younger)
FAIRWIND & FOLLOWIN SEAS
Sail4Kids President Capt. Jim
Old 06-03-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Graycie,

Oh, go. You will most likely regret it forever if you don''t.

As for what trampsailor says, I have met many, many women with young children aboard who would have killed their husbands if given half a chance. I recall in particular this one woman I met at a marina in the Catskills. They were on a wooden, about a 45 footer. She had one on the breast, one on the hip, and one on the run. I helped her to load the last few bits she had gotten from the market (her husband was no help, preferring to chat with a dockhand). I said to her, "What a lovely boat, it has such..." And she stopped me, put her hand on my shoulder, and said, "If you say ''character'', I''ll have to hit you" and laughed. They left for their trip up the Hudson and to the Canals. About 5 hours later, while sitting in the bar enjoying dinner after distepping the mast, we saw them tow her back in. She came in to the restaurant/bar, kids in tow, while her hubby sat on the dock chatting with the mechanic. I offered to watch the kids for her while she talked on the phone (was for about an hour). Anyway, next day, wife and kids were gone, he was passed out out in the cockpit and they were trying to rouse him to help move the boat so others could get in to be distepped. SO - as long as this is not your scenario (and I have also seen many, many happy families living aboard, too) go for it!!!!

Best Wishes,
MaryBeth

Old 06-05-2002
seabum

Cruising Advice

You don''t have to do it all at once. Plan a 1000 mile trip for several months. You''ll get a good feel for it and should know if you want to take the big plunge after that.
Norm...
Old 06-06-2002

halyardz is on a distinguished road
Cruising Advice

Advice will vary considerably. The situation MaryBeth describes seems full of problems. My approach is to take the "step" approach. First, one week out, then three,
then...etc. Much to be learned at each step including living in close quarters. In my humble opinion, one of the biggest factors to get under your belt is learning to change your shoreside(home) routines.

You need to learn to get along without the morning paper and fresh bagels. Those regular Thursday visits from friends or children. Its also amazining how much trip
planning changes once underway. You have to waitout storms, get weather from other sources, and read alot. If you get along on shore, you need to learn if you can get along in close quarters without a lot of personal space.

That aside, the fun part is planning, ships stores, preparing boat, and so on. I too wish I would have done this earlier in life but I didn''t, so now want to go off while in good health and positive mental attitude.
Jim