Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Wow. I've always been an admirer of the HRs but 7'6" draft ?? No way in the world would I go down that path. If I had my choice I'd stay below 6' but 6'6" absolute max. Interestingly enough even the smaller HRs have quite deep draft.

ps - love them Taswells CD. We where anchored next to one a while back in Sydney. Yum. Bit big for me and Ms Wombat by ourselves but yep, very nice bit of kit. Lack of anything even vaguely ressembling a sea berth is a bit of a worry however.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 10-08-2007 at 02:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Wow. I've always been an admirer of the HRs but 7'6" draft ?? No way in the world would I go down that path. If I had my choice I'd stay below 6' but 6'6" absolute max. Interestingly enough even the smaller HRs have quite deep draft.

ps - love them Taswells CD. We where anchored next to one a while back in Sydney. Yum. Bit big for me and Ms Wombat by ourselves but yep, very nice bit of kit. Lack of anything even vaguely ressembling a sea berth is a bit of a worry however.
I got to know the Taswells pretty well. My neigbor owned a 49. Nice boat. They are all a bit different though. We have a 44 some slips down as well.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-08-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We actually looked at that Taswell 49 yesterday and will be looking at it again today. It was our second choice boat of what we've seen. We looked at Cam's boat, and it was really nice (and didn't seem to have the issues that our broker told us Tayana's are known for), but I didn't like walking through the stays the way they were organized. We also looked at a Bristol 56 (beautiful, but completely varnished and there is a LOT of brightwork - and we want to sail). We also looked at a Passport 47, but the chart table was small and difficult to use. Right now, we're narrowed down to the Taswell 49 and the HR 53.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-08-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
We actually looked at that Taswell 49 yesterday and will be looking at it again today. It was our second choice boat of what we've seen. We looked at Cam's boat, and it was really nice (and didn't seem to have the issues that our broker told us Tayana's are known for), but I didn't like walking through the stays the way they were organized. We also looked at a Bristol 56 (beautiful, but completely varnished and there is a LOT of brightwork - and we want to sail). We also looked at a Passport 47, but the chart table was small and difficult to use. Right now, we're narrowed down to the Taswell 49 and the HR 53.
Go with the T, then. I have been on them. Nice boats. Well built. Every one of them is a little bit different, though. My dock neighbor was very instrumental in their design layout and import to the US... though I have no idea how many he brought over. On the positive side, each one is personalized. On the negative side, some of the owners might have put things in without considering access. However, it is a top notch, go anywhere boat.

The HR is too. I was on one or two at the boat show some years back. It is actually my wife's favorite boat. However, my comment was: Why buy a go everywhere-on-it boat if you can't go everywhere-on-it (draft)??

Think about that as you narrow down your purchase. If you are going to consider tubs with that kind of draft, I woud also reccomend a Hylas 54 and Mason 54. THe Mason is absolutely my favorite boat.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-08-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Have you looked at Valients? Very solid world cruisers and they'll even shorten the keel if you'd like. You can get all kinds of thing done if you're having it built. I saw a shorter keel version being built at the factory awhile back. No brightwork outside - none! They sell sailing not varnishing.

Back to the ICW . . . the ditch itself isn't the big draw for me but it's the path to the fun stuff. The Bahamas . . . I have heard of people running aground there . . . between islands . . . with no land in sight.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White

Last edited by retclt; 10-08-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-08-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by retclt
Back to the ICW . . . the ditch itself isn't the big draw for me but it's the path to the fun stuff. I have heard of people running aground there with no land in sight.
You can do that off the west coast of Florida,if you don't pay attention.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-08-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Chris,
Just curious, what were the issues about Tayanas your broker mentioned?
Old 10-08-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
With a draft of 7'6" you would not be able to get into ANY marina on Hilton Head Island at mid-tide or below, and you would have access to only three at mid-to-high tide. That's 50% of each day. Take out night sailing, and you're down to 25% of your daylight hours (on average). The ICW through all of Georgia would be off limits, as would much of southern SC.

Last edited by sailhog; 10-08-2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: incomplete info
Old 10-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Chris..I would go with the Taswell based on my knowledge of the boat and the sentiments above. Thanks for taking a look at mine. Was the boat cleaned up on the outside...I paid for them to do it so wanted to insure it looked good.

If you are still in annapolis you might want to look at this as it arrived too late for the show and is very interesting and i think along the lines you are looking for. http://www.outboundyachts.com/52/index.htm

EDIT: Just remembered a Tas 49 we looked at in Florida. Loved the boat but the reason we walked away was that the engine room was accessible on 3 sides and oil filter and impeller were on the FAR side and could not be accessed without crowling over a hot engine. All Taswells are custom interior so this may not be an issue with the one you are looking at...but thought it worth a mention.
Old 10-08-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'm glad I do not sail on the east coast. 8-14' of draft would not be too ig concern if you are in the Puget sound region, west coast US etc. most marinas have 15-20' minimums at low tide. Some a bit lower ie 12, but a lot depends upon where and how low a low tide one has.

If I was really worried about low depth, I would probably look for a CB style, then you can pull the CB up in low depth areas, and still have the deeper draft when down for pointing etc. But that is me vs some of you elsewhere.

marty