Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I could see passing up much of the ICW. But if you HAVE to go outside of Cape Hatteras, then I'd be real concerned about the limitations. And then all comments seem to point to 6' draft as the max for Bahamas.
So you will have to sail offshore direct to Virgin Islands from New England.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2007

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Okay, I'll jump in here. First off, I'm curious what kind of sailing background you have. I've noticed that people that buy big boats (and anything over 50' DEFINITELY fits that category) are usually either very new to sailing and think they need all that room even if it's just a couple, OR they are VERY experienced cruisers that have worked their way up through a few boats.
So WHY do you think you need a 53 footer?

Now, JMHO, but having seen people buy too much boat... you'd do well to consider something under 40' if it's just the two of you. Smaller = easier to handle, no need to rely on electric winches, everything costs less because it doesn't need to be as big or heavy duty and most importantly you can get a boat that performs pretty well and doesn't have Keel/Mast issues limiting your cruising grounds. Speaking of costs... if you're looking at an HR53 you probably have some $$$$ to toss around. If you don't really have that much money you can get cruising and go further on your budget w/ a smaller boat. If you really DO have big bucks, well, you can still go cruising and save some $$$!
Oh, and a smaller boat will be able to be single handed by your wife if YOU are incapacitated.
And if you are environmentally conscious... smaller boat = less impact on the environment.

Just my .02

David
Old 10-08-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Chris - you might want to reconsider cam's boat, if for no other reason than access to someone that knows the boat intimately. To me, that would definitely increase the value.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dave...he already has a passport 40...I have a tayana 52...what he is looking at is not too much boat for a family and a competent sailor. He obviously is not strapped for cash if he is looking at a 750k boat.
Some of us like the comfort AND safety of a larger boat as our home. Labatt will ONLY be happy on a large boat...just like me.
Old 10-08-2007

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Dave...he already has a passport 40...I have a tayana 52...what he is looking at is not too much boat for a family and a competent sailor. He obviously is not strapped for cash if he is looking at a 750k boat.
Some of us like the comfort AND safety of a larger boat as our home. Labatt will ONLY be happy on a large boat...just like me.
Well then all I can say is COOL! Still seems a shame to have the draft keep you out of some good cruising grounds...

Didn't know he had the Passport, or that family would be aboard. Guess I need to read Sailnet more often.

I know for ME, 40-41 feet would be about the limit of what I'd want to take off in. Course it wouldn't be w/ the kids!
Old 10-08-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Didn't Labbatt just get that Boat last year or so?
I know how it is, every year we want to move up ten more feet. LOL.
Is the Passport on the market?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-08-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Yes he bought it last year but always said he'd be moving up quickly. I'm going to see if he'll adopt me.
Old 10-08-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Not to send the thread back on track or anything...

Does anyone know what the controlling clearance IS from Lake Ontario, through to the Atlantic? That question really hasn't been addressed yet, and coincidentally I was planning on starting a new thread on that question when I came across this one.

Thanks, Fred
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 10-08-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Alright... to answer lots of questions We were at the show again today so this is the first time I've logged on since...

For those who want to know why we want a larger boat, there are a few reasons. First off, I'm 6'3" and if I'm going to live on a boat for 2+ years I want a few things: headroom throughout the boat with a minimum of stooping down; A bunk in the master stateroom that fits myself and my 5'8" wife well (we're close, but like our room); Room for storage of my wife's triathlon bike; Three cabins (one for the wife and I, one each for our kids); A large chart table that can double as an office area; Lots of tankage, but also multi-zone AC and diesel heat while still having storage left. There are a number of other things we'd like, and all of these things have led us down the path of a 48'+ boat. Actually, after this weekend we've realized that we really need a 52'+ boat to fit everything. I would prefer a smaller boat for handling purposes, but since most of our time will be spent at anchor exploring the areas that we visit, we want lots of comfort.

The next question/comment - we currently own a Passport 40 as mentioned. We bought a Precision 23 at the boat show two years ago. We bought the Passport 40 during the last show. We were hoping to find our "final boat" at this show. This is our 4 year "accelerated" plan for cruising. I grew up racing on the Long Island Sound and thought I knew about sailing, but then we bought our first boat in anticipation of this cruise (and called it "Anticipation") and I realized how little I did know. I could sail, but handling under power, anchoring, heavy weather handling, navigation, etc - these are all things I had no clue about. I've learned a tremendous amount over the past couple of years through practice (we've been out over 70 days this summer alone), book learning, this site, etc. My wife, who had zero sailing experience when we bought the Precision 23 (which was an incredible boat) has now gone through several ASA certifications (by herself) to learn about sailing. Even our 10 year old son has been to sailing camp and will be going again next year. Our 6 year old daughter is along for the ride for the moment . Do we have a ton of experience? Nope... but I do know how to tie a bowline (bumfuzzle reference there). We plan on learning a lot more as we progress over the next couple of years and then on our trip.

Cam - your boat looked beautiful and it was my wife's favorite until we looked at the HR53. They did a good job of cleaning it up. I tried to see if I could make it work, and fell in love with the exterior and the layout, but I couldn't get past a few odds and ends, like the fact that the stays took up a good portion of the side decks. I'm a sucker for clean decks. I also had a hard time lying down in the cockpit comfortably, and that's a necessity. She is a great boat, and I'm shocked she's not sold yet. With regards to the issues our broker said he has seen with older Tayana's, he said he often sees weird fiberglass issues. He mentioned they tend to leak in weird areas - not around the stays, stanchions, tracks, etc., but around the companionway, the aft lazarette areas, etc. He also said the fiberglass they used is prone to having chunks come off. He was impressed with the quality of your boat.

John - it was nice meeting you at the Sailnet party the other night (we were the ones with the Chinese food), and I appreciate what you are saying about knowing the prior owner and I wish I could make it work.

Now, regarding the Taswell. We went back and checked her out again this morning to compare her against the HR53 we saw after. I would have loved to make her work since I could have saved several hundred thousand dollars. Someone is going to get a great deal on that boat since
they just updated all of the electronics (E120 at the nav station, E80 at the helm, new SSB, new VHF, ST60+'s for the rest) and it's pretty loaded. It has a slightly strange cabin configuration with over/under bunks instead f a V-Berth plus a second set of over/under bunks in the second guest stateroom, but we actually liked that since it would mean less arguing by the kids. What we had an issue with was headroom - I just fit when I walked off the centerline, and I had to stoop in the forward cabin - it was about 2-3" too short. Also, tankage and systems took away from a lot of the storage. It was just *slightly* too small for us. The other Taswell 49 in Annapolis just went under contract so it is off the market for the moment. There's a Taswell 56 in TX we might look at, but at the offered price it doesn't leave much room (or any room) for any refit or maintenance items. We're assuming the remainder of the Taswell 49's will have similar headroom issues and storage issues (for us).

Sailortjk1 - our absolutely wonderful and beautiful Passport 40 will be on the market as soon as we buy our new boat. She was in great shape when we got her and we've done a number of systems and rigging upgrades. If anyone will have an interest in her before we put her on the market, let me know and I'll be sure to reach out to you before I get a broker involved.

Tom - I have enough people I'm responsible for now so I can't adopt you, but we'd gladly welcome you for a visit for a day or week when we start cruising! As we will most any NICE Sailnetter.

With regards to where we're at with boat hunting, I talked with Tayana today about a 58 Deck Saloon (basically their 55 deck saloon with an extended sugar scoop). I'd prefer a smaller boat than a 58, but they are making it VERY attractive (almost making it more to go with a 55) to go with the 58. They must have a few 58 hulls already being laid up. A custom 58 Deck Saloon with everything we want would be more than the HR53, but not out of our price range. They also have a deep draft though - 7'2". Air draft is 63', but that's without masthead instruments, so it would be over 63' when done.

Now back to my original questions - what problems will we have... I spoke with a friend of a friend who regularly delivers yachts all over the world, but mostly focuses on delivering yachts from the Carribean to the east coast. First off, he has delivered an HR53 and he was floored by the boat - the quality, the sailing performance, the comfort, etc. He said we would obviously have issues traversing the ICW, but that we shouldn't have issues in ducking into many larger ports. He also said that he's cruised through the Bahamas with bigger boats, but we should get a dinghy with a big engine since we'd have to anchor pretty far off in many places. So the wife suggested that we change our plans a bit, do some of the east coast, and then maybe hop into the Pacific a bit earlier than we originally anticipated. I'm going to start going through charts when I get home tomorrow. I think the only way I'll be able to decide is to look for myself.

Fred (AjariBonten) - I've been told that there are no issues with depth or air draft going from Lake Ontario to Nova Scotia. Large cargo vessels with much deeper drafts and higher freeboard do it all the time. If you do a search on previous postings of mine, you'll see a thread about the St. Lawrence.

So where are we? No closer to a decision. If we go with a custom Tayana 58DS, I need to sign the paperwork by January to make sure it's complete in time for our trip. We also just learned that our marina won't allow any new boats over 49' in due to a large microburst that occured on Northern Lake Champlain this summer with 90+mph winds that devastated another marina. We'd have to move marinas, and we've made a lot of friends this past year - we're not sure we'd want to give it up. I think we'll keep going down a path of looking deeper at the HR53 and the Tayana 58DS for the moment. We'll keep everyone informed!

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-08-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Chris,
It sounds like exciting times for you and I wish you the best of luck, we have a common bond. I may just take you up on that offer. Will keep following your progress with great anticipation.