Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Cam - Forgot to mention - we did initial research on the Outbound 52 earlier this year and were very impressed. However, the list price was well over $1mil before being completely outfitted so outside our price range. We're focusing on the HR53 right now... after much discussion and understanding the limitations created by the draft, I think we appreciate her for what she is and are going to dig a bit deeper, perhaps culminating in a purchase at some point in the next month or two. While we really like the Tayana 58 Deck Saloon, we realized that we can outfit the HR53 with everything we want and still save $100k. BTW - the draft on the Tayana 55/58 is 7'2" so not much different than the HR53. There is a shoal draft version available but we'd prefer the pointing ability and safety of the full keel.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Chris...gotcha...ouch, I don't know how they expect to get that much...too bad. Sounds like you are going into the HR53 with your eyes wide open and they ARE fine, fine boats...so good luck on the rest of the process!
Old 10-10-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Have you seen the new Bill Dixon - designed Tayana 54. The first one is due in Annapolis Shortly - didn't make the shoe but is on their web site. http://www.cabrilloyachts.com/cabril...oyachts_9.html
Old 10-10-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Labatt,

I am just curious... but it seems like those boats used to be a lot less expensive (relatively). Am I wrong?? I remember shopping them many years ago (it is my wife's favorite boat). However, the price tag did not seem quite as steep. I would assume that is due to the low dollar value? If so, what would happen to the value of that boat should (when) the dollar go back up?

Just a curious thought. Not trying to be confusing... so please do not take it as such.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-10-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
CD - no problem. I believe the boats have actually appreciated in price. As the Euro has crept up even higher against the dollar, the USD cost of buying a new HR has crept up, inflating the price on used ones along the way. We don't have any plans on selling this next boat for quite some time and would be walking into the sale knowing there could be significant depreciation if the dollar strengthens. From what I've seen, the used market pricing is heavily based upon what the boat would cost new. The HR53 is no longer being made, so it's probably being compared against the HR54. On the other hand, the HR53 we're looking at is one of the least expensive on the market due to the fact that it was already located in the US.

Speciald - we've seen the specs on the new 54 and it looks nice, but they are costing a premium over the 55/58 due to the newness of the design. I believe hull #1 has already arrived or will be arriving in the US shortly.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-12-2007

Morgan3820 is on a distinguished road
Why do people always want such huge boats (and RVs).

Why do people always want such huge boats (and RVs). What more does it get you? Even if money is not an issue and you think that a boat with a bowling alley is a good idea, handling is a PIA and a menace to others with anything less than four good hands. If you want a condo buy a condo, If you want a boat get a boat. You wouldn't be able to visit my hometown because of the masthight.

Jesse Garman
New Bern, NC

Ps. I would love to have your Passport 40.

Last edited by Morgan3820; 10-12-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2007

rsn48 is on a distinguished road
Morgan, he asnwered the "why a big boat" a few posts up; before the critique always read.
Old 10-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I don't see any cruisers selling big boats for smaller ones! Must be something to it!!
The way it goes is smallboat...bigger boat...bigger boat...trawler/(or RV)!!
Old 10-13-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Morgan,
So you'd love to have his Passport 40! I'll bet that would be a bigger boat for you.
Old 10-14-2007

Morgan3820 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
Morgan,
So you'd love to have his Passport 40! I'll bet that would be a bigger boat for you.
Only by 2 ft.-SA. I have a very nice Morgan 382. Started with a Cal 20, 23 yrs ago. Then Alberg30, P-35. From his post he started boat ownership 2 yrs ago and he is looking at a 53 footer??!! I have been sailing all of my adult life and would not buy a boat over 42 ft because two people cannot safely operate big boats in all conditions. But apparently my opinion is in the minority-nothing new. But I see this all of the time with RVing, flying, sailing, boating. People buy small, have fun but say to themselves wouldn't it be nice if... so they get rid of the fun they have and get something bigger, faster. Then they repeat the process until they get the ultimate toy. then they find out that they don't use it as much as they would like because it is 'so much trouble to take out'. Then they either sit at the dock, entertaining guests or get out of the hobby altoghether. Look at any marina on a weekend, most of the boats that go out are 30-40fters. While most of the 45fters sit at their slips. It is a fact that the easier something is to do the more often you will do it.
I don't know why he doesn't buy a trawler anyway. nobody sails anymore anyway. I was out fishing on the Neuse River this morning (yes, I own a powerboat too), and i watched a parade of 12 snowbirds headed down river from New Bern headed to Morehead City. With a fair SW wind (broad reach) not one, not one of the sailboats had their sails up. WTF