Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Go to sea commercially as I did. And I have been to many exotically named places around the world.
A. Acquire a "Z" card from USCG.
B. Get a job on the boats or ships.
C. After awhile you have enough time to get your license.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007

willykunkle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Go to sea commercially as I did. And I have been to many exotically named places around the world.
A. Acquire a "Z" card from USCG.
B. Get a job on the boats or ships.
C. After awhile you have enough time to get your license.

i've considered this before. Is there a lot of commercial work to keep busy? also, is this something i could do while living aboard a boat and fixing her up?
Old 10-10-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Uh Willy, your papa ever warn you 'bout recruiters?
Old 10-10-2007

willykunkle is on a distinguished road
oh ha ha, yeah maybe now wouldn't be the best time to join the coast guard! good point!
Old 10-10-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by willykunkle View Post
Also, my current profession is in video/film production. I wonder what the market would be for a videographer to travel with cruisers and document their adventures??? anybody??
Very big laugh! I've been a freelance cinematographer for 25 years. Every year the business gets more and more saturated with kids. Every school in the nation now has a video production program spitting out grads.

Nobody wants to get their hands dirty anymore. That leads to two things:
One, jobs like filmaking are saturated
Two, jobs like diesel mechanic are paying VERY good because of the scarcity of workers.

Every time I turn around I read of somebody who is going to finance their cruising by selling their photography. I have a friend/photographer who crews on boats around the world and takes pictures. He has sold many to major sailing magazines. He gets about $100 a pop. Good luck living the good life on that!
500 channels of TV should provide an endless supply of work. But the pie is only so big & when cut into 500 slices each piece is so small there's no budget. So there's lots of low paying work...enjoy!
You need to decide if you want to be in movies OR go sailing.

Latts & Atts TV on water channel folded.
Old 10-10-2007

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by willykunkle View Post
oh ha ha, yeah maybe now wouldn't be the best time to join the coast guard! good point!
Nay! USCG, an honorable and well respected service ... you could do worse ... heck, your chances of gettin' smoked at the 7-11 while eatin' a moon pie are greater ... 'course, I don't recall anyone drownin' at the 7-11 ...

Yeah officer ... I turned my back and he jumped in the slurpee machine ... we pulled him out and I tried CPR but strawberry isn't my favorite flavor so he died ...

OTOH, love the mechanic/sail repair idea ... gonna do that myself and earn some spare change.

Last edited by cockeyedbob; 10-10-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Bottom line is, if you really want to do it, you will find away.
Old 10-10-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
You got that right, XORT. I was a commercial/advertising photographer for 12 years. When Photoshop came out, everyone said "great!", I said "uh oh!". Soon after, digital cameras appeared and that was the writing on the wall, as far as I was concerned. I saw the jobs disappear to the in-house techies at nearly every company that I shot for. Good thing I learned how to tear apart an engine in 8th grade.

Vaya con Dios
Old 10-10-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeyedbob View Post
Promote goofy sailing adventure, preferably for one charity, erectile disfunction, or something gay and green, obtain sponsor, hire ghostwriter, sell video rights, get rich ... see, piece o' cake

Save the sea cucumber!
I have said this before in another thread. As a teenager I did a lot of sailing in a 22 foot Sea Sprite daysailor. When I was getting ready to do my first trans-Atlantic in 1974 I arranged sponsorship and had a Sea Sprite weekender built for the trip. That trip and the deals that made it possible started to come together in 1971 when I was only 18. She was not quite a stock boat but close to it. I had decided that sailing was what I wanted to do and turning my trips into sponsored events was the way I paid for everything. It was clear to me that if I did the conventional thing and worked first and then sailed after retirement I would be, as I am today old and tired when I started doing long distance sailing so I wanted to sail first and then retire from the world of professional sailing into a sailing related job and settle down. I never quite got the settle down part right but I did get into the boat design/build/repair business.

After that first trans-Atlantic and as part of the next sponsorship deal with Boodles Gin (General Wine And Spirits a division of Joseph E Seagram) I did some personal appearances, did game shows like ďTo Tell The TruthĒ and had a book written about the sailing I had done up until 1976. It was a way to pay for my habit but I donít think you will find it as easy to do today. In the early 70ís it was easy to get some kind of record and attract sponsorship. Today itís become an expensive game and you need more then a simple gimmick to get real money. Unlike the 70ís you need to do something instead of just surviving a trip as the youngest person to do that trip to sell a package to a sponsor.

On un-sponsored trips I sold some pictures to stock houses and did deliveries to raise some money during the trips. I also did boat repair and rigging which was in reasonable demand in out of the way places like Gambia on the west coast of Africa. It can be done even today but itís getting harder to finance trips today doing the same things that were easy 30 years ago. Now its easer to work a bit and save money and then sail while making some money along the way by teaching sailing, taking people out on day trips, giving talks at hotels and yacht clubs etc.
Good luck and all the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 10-10-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
"Presumed Lost" was you? Well, whaddya know.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 10-10-2007 at 07:10 PM.