Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007

willykunkle is on a distinguished road
Sustaining your cruising lifestyle???

Hello everybody,

First I waned to thank everybody for all the great advice. I've been sailing for 10 years now but I am quite young (23). I don't have a lot of money, but I am preparing to buy a boat for long term cruising. Based on the advice from members of this community, I have set a goal for how much I need to spend on a boat and preparations, a realistic time frame to shoot for, and what to look for in a boat. That is not the problem.

I'm not worried about being able to travel long term as far as surviving on little money goes, what I'm worried about is when I want to buy a larger boat for more serious cruising. If I am sailing instead of working, how will I ever be able to upgrade?

I would like to ask how people here have made this possible? I don't really want to wait until retirement before I set out, but I would also like to be able to eventually buy a boat capable of major ocean passages.

Any advice???

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007

willykunkle is on a distinguished road
Also

In addition, I am still in the very early stages of research. I'm just trying to figure out how to make something like this possible.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Sail a little , work a little , sell boat , work a lot , work somemore , skrimp save plot and plan , work more , find bluewater boat , prep boat , prep self , prep funds to cruise ( means work ). Go cruise . Come back and repeat as needed.
My wife and I took some time off from cruising to have our first kid then number two came along , we sold our boat and moved closer to the inlaws for a few years to help out with the babies . Its a break we both knew we would have to take from the water. However we know we will be back cruising again someday soon. Maybe not as soon as we want to but when we are ready . Thoughts like homeschooling have been discussed and traveling jobs have been discussed. The hard part for us is not buying the next boat too soon. My wife almost jumped on a very nice Tayana last year and I was the voice of reason and talked her out of it . This year I seem to be the one with the bug and have been looking at Tartans in earnest. She has been reeling me in from buying the next boat too soon . It all boils down to timing.
If we wait a little longer our cruising days will be better we will have more boat more money and more time to enjoy it. The biggest peave I had last time we lived aboard was having to be at a certain place at a certain time (for work) and having to bypass places you wanted to go because you had to be somewhare by a certain time. Next time we go away from land I dont want to come back till I choose to . So we work , plot , plan ,skrimp ,save and look for the next boat but we are trying to be cautious this time around because we know what we want to do and what kind of boat we need to do it . We still sail on a daysailor , cant be completely removed from sailing that would suck . But the next cruiser will have to wait .
Now to answer your question " How do you upgrade when your sailing not working ?" I dont have the foggiest idea but when you find out let me know.

Best of luck
Old 10-10-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Sure fire ways to get out there...

A. Rob a bank
B. Marry a rich girl
C. Win the lotto
D. Go to work

There you have it, now get going

If you choose D, the biggest trap is spending money on all the 'stuff' of modern life. "I made enough money to buy Miami, but I pissed it away so fast".
Live simply, on your boat, and save save save.
I'd recommend B
Old 10-10-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Willy,

You have just been given some good advise. You work for it!!!!

If your question is, how do you leave now and still spend lots of money upgrading along the way (without working) , good luck. I think that there are a few ways: rich relative dying and liking you: inventing a patentable item while dreaming your way across the water: or President Clinton adding a program for cruisers to improve their boats for the expanding family.

I think there may be work in your future. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Oh ****, I forgot about B. Preferably a beautiful rich girl that adores you.
Old 10-10-2007

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
Oh ****, I forgot about B. Preferably a beautiful rich girl that adores you.
Beauty is only skin deep, rich goes all the way to the bank.
Old 10-10-2007

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Another plan would be to develop a skill that other boaters need. Suppose you learned to be a diesel mechanic. You could make money fixing other peoples boats. You could even barter some for things like their new GPS plotter. Then, when you find a really nice boat with a blown engine, give them a low ball offer after telling them how much it will cost to replace their motor.
Old 10-10-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Funny, I was thinking about career choices for a youngster with cruising in mind and thought of diesel mech. Truck mechs make a lot of money. Boat yards are full of diesel boats and cruisers everywhere need help now and again with their motors & gens.
But then you'd have to get your hands dirty. B is still the preffered choice.
Old 10-10-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You can go now and pay later...
Or pay now and go later...
But you can't go now and never pay...unless you just get lucky.
I paid the price for 30 years after financing the $3k for my first boat but the dream never died.
Hard work and personal discipline is the answer along with a firm plan with milestones along the way.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.