SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

End of season Trip! Del Riv to Ches Bay Late Oct Early Nov.

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
Due to leg/back problems I wasn't able to head down to the Bay last week. I'm still limping but hope to get back on my boat this weekend. There is a race sunday, and a club race on the 20th. So... I should know real soon if I'm up to sailing my boat again! (GAWD! it's been like 3 weeks!) :mad:

I hope to make my end of season trip soon! It will be over a weekend and I my only plans will be to go! I always stay at Chesapeake City on the way to and from the Bay. I will be out 5-7 days.

Anyone is interested doing the trip with their boat also Let me know. Part way, Meet up, let me know. I'm still in the planning stage.

#4 · (Edited)
tide timing

Do you time departure to catch a favorable tide, and if so, what is your target point?

I have felt the effect of tidal current in the C&D canal and have heard that it's also an important factor in the Delaware between the canal and Cape May. I was in the Summit North marina, in the canal, last week and would have liked to do a daylight run to Cape May the next day, last Wednesday. According to the tables, high tide at the approximate vicinity of Summit North would occur at 11:00 AM that day. If I postponed departure until, say, 10 AM to avoid an adverse flood tide in the canal and the river I'm not sure I'd have had enough daylight hours to get to Cape May before dark. A guy at the marina said that if you time your departure right you can ride a fair tidal current all the way. That might be true for power boaters but not for me in my 30-foot sailboat with its 16-hp diesel. I wouldn't have had six hours of fair tide after 11:00, because the time to the next high tide gets shorter as you go east. (Predicted high tide at Cape May last Wednesday was around 3 PM.) Possibly in an excess of caution, I ultimately decided to go elsewhere instead and leave Cape May for another occasion.

So what is the best strategy for going from a stopping-place in the canal to Cape May in a smallish sailboat at a time of year when daylight is on the short side? Leave at first light or tide-synch?

#5 ·
I would say tide-synch. Be careful in the Delaware bay. How big is your boat ?

#6 ·
#8 ·
Aways come down river with the tide.. try to enter the canal on a rising tide. Stay at chesapeake city docks or drop the hook (free) Leave next morning or when the tide will take you out to the upper Bay. My boat is 30 ft with only 16hp will run with the tides 9-11 knots, against.. about 3.. duh.

#13 ·
C&D Canal to Cape May

wumhenry,

It's 55 nm from the East end of the C&D canal to Cape May (actually, to the turning point south of Cape May....it's less if you're going into Cape May).

At 6 knots average, this is just over 9 hours. With a favorable tide, it's much less.

One strategy is to anchor just outside the East end of the Canal...out of the ships channel....and wait for a favorable tide. I'd leave about 1-2 hours before slack water on a flood tide in the Delaware River, so as to have the maximum length of assist as the current becomes favorable.

You don't need daylight. Just run near but outside the buoys; the ships stay in the channel. I'd run down the East side so you can see traffic headed your way. Ships going down the channel will be WAY to your West.

Bill

#14 ·
wumhenry,

It's 55 nm from the East end of the C&D canal to Cape May (actually, to the turning point south of Cape May....it's less if you're going into Cape May).

At 6 knots average, this is just over 9 hours. With a favorable tide, it's much less.

One strategy is to anchor just outside the East end of the Canal...out of the ships channel....and wait for a favorable tide. I'd leave about 1-2 hours before slack water on a flood tide in the Delaware River, so as to have the maximum length of assist as the current becomes favorable.

You don't need daylight. Just run near but outside the buoys; the ships stay in the channel. I'd run down the East side so you can see traffic headed your way. Ships going down the channel will be WAY to your West.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. Makes sense. When you say I don't need daylight were you just referring to the run down the Delaware or do you also mean that approaching and transitting the Cape May Canal in the dark is easy for someone who's never done it before?

#15 ·
wmhenery I've made the trip sown the Delaware with an experianced friend at night .. no thanks! The canal is ok at night but you gotta be real sure of what your looking at. Those barges are big! Personally I don't see any reasons to run at night if I don't have to!

#19 ·
Guess I better get of my

tush and decide if I'm going or not! The weather this coming week is making me think a big YES!

sigh.. things to do... :(

ck oil, diesel, filters, belt etc,
water tanks, holding tank flush.
put the working jib back on, stow the 153 genny
print out the tide charts.
pay the rest of this months bills :rolleyes:
shop for food, drinking water etc... (never forget coffee!)
make sure the propane re-route works. (did ck that when I did it?)
find more sailing adventure books to read!
to take or not take the dingy.... better sailing without.. more access to some places with it.

(already loosing my steam )

sigh..

#20 ·
Oh Well.. guess it's good I didn't go! Right about now I'd holed up due because of rain and cold. So.. guess it's going to wait til spring! Sigh..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.