Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2002

Lahr is on a distinguished road
NYC /NY Harbor area marinas

For a first-time summer transit on my 42 sloop from Long Island Sound through East River and ending up near Manhatten, what are the good Marinas near Hells Gate on the North--waiting for the slack tide-- and an easy commute to Manhatten at the South at the end of this transit? Thanks all in advance. Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road

There really are no good marina''s just north of Hells Gate. If you *really* were looking for a place to stay before travelling down then I would stop just east of the Throgs Neck Bridge at City Island. There are lots of marinas and waterfront restaruants there. (its not far to motor from there to the East River). But its fairly easy to time the trip down the East River. As I recall You want to be at the Throgs Neck Bridge two hours after high water at the battery (NYCity Harbor) and the current will help you through. A quick look at Eldriges Current tables will help you optimize but you can be an hour or two either way and you should be fine...Just don''t be 6-7 hours off...;-)

I have made the trip quite a few times in a 27'' Watkins & have not had any trouble as long as you are traveling with the flow or at slack. (Hells Gate is over rated.) But the current is pretty swift and you will find yourself doing 12 knots over the ground. :-)

As for Places to hang out within easy commute to Manhatten then I would use either Liberty Landing or Liberty Park Marina in Jersey City (right behind the Statue of Liberty). It is right across from where the WTC was....:-(
Old 04-09-2002

Lahr is on a distinguished road

tsenator--many thanks--very useful. Jack
Old 04-12-2002

halyardz is on a distinguished road

Tsenator is right IMHO. If you miss the tide/current situation on the East River, you are in for a very slow crawl down NYC''s east side. Marinas around NYC are obviously pricey. If you want to save some coin, head up to one of the NJ marinas on the Hudson...in fact I''d suggest at least a day trip up the Hudson...you may be motoring a lot but great scenery particularly around Bear Mt and West Point...services are thin from Haverstraw area to Newburgh.
Old 04-13-2002

JWag is on a distinguished road

Jack:

We found the marinas on City Island to be a convenient place to wait for the tide to go through Hell''s Gate. You are right around the bend from Throg''s Neck and only an hour or so away from the Gate.
Old 05-05-2009

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by halyardz View Post
Tsenator is right IMHO. If you miss the tide/current situation on the East River, you are in for a very slow crawl down NYC''s east side. Marinas around NYC are obviously pricey. If you want to save some coin, head up to one of the NJ marinas on the Hudson...in fact I''d suggest at least a day trip up the Hudson...you may be motoring a lot but great scenery particularly around Bear Mt and West Point...services are thin from Haverstraw area to Newburgh.
If you end up in this aria, give me a PM, and I can meet up with you and show you the Newburgh to Kingston area. I have little sailing experience on the river, but know a lot of the bars/restaurants.