Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
WOW, I'll have to tell my friends there 100 yr. old cottage is worth triple its actual value, and next time I'm over there, I'll have to look much harder for that helicopter pad

MOST of the prices in this region are well below $1.0M and very few have helicopter pads. Perhaps you've been sailing in Lake Muskoka where the prices are closer and above the $1.0M mark. Goldie Hawn has a cottage on that lake. Saw a wirte up on one cottage being built last year that had hit $8.0M and was not 100% finished yet. He still had to install the water slide form the cottage down to the lake.

The marina prices are the same in Collingwood & Meaford as they are in this region. I don't pay the price as quoted in the article, about $250 less, as we're out on a dock and not parked at shore. The farthest docks from shore are even less for walking a little more. There are marinas that have fewer services, and more self-serve that are slightly cheaper as well.
Well your friends cottage, which is probably a camp, isn't worth much, but the land is worth a mint. Lake Muskoka and St. Joseph has many movie stars, but mostly professional athletes. They are the only ones that can afford it!

I sail in Georgian Bay and North Channel....pretty sure I'm not in Lake Muskoka...last time I checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
Georgian Bay website

My thanks to all for the posts on Sweetwater Cruising. I've been away for a few days, and have just done some updates. A couple comments.
1. Sorry about the url posting restriction till I've made ten posts. I'll probably be moving the hosting once I have things functional.
2. I'm experimenting with ads, but in my wildest dreams I might expect to recover hosting expenses. If they get annoying to people, I'll cull them.
3. My emphasis is going to be on environmental issues. I'm working on a big report on wind farm developments. A new chart is now up, but the written report is still coming together.
4. As requested, I'm trying to keep info current. There is an update to the water levels issue. IJC has pretty much rejected the Georgian Bay Association's contention that dredging in the St Clair River is to blame.
5. I would welcome input from others around the region, but I don't want this to be a burden to others or to have people feel I'm taking advantage of them. News tips with links that I can share with everyone are welcomed.
best to all
Doug

Last edited by Diva27; 11-10-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-10-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

broken thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand View Post
Douglas,

I'm at the south end of the lake. You're off to a good start with your site and I look forward to seeing it develop. It was interesting to read about the environmental / ecological issues that you post on the site.

BTW, the link to the CHS chart catalog didn't work for me. I tried to find a working link with google but had no luck, could be a temporary problem on their end.
I just checked the link and it's working, so the system may well have been fritzed over at DFO.

Doug
Old 11-10-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianseamonkey View Post
Those prices are quite isolated to that region of Georgian Bay. It's only a few hours north of Toronto and is considered the richmans paradise. The average price of a cottage is over million dollars as well and most of them have helicoper pads. As you get further north or west the prices become affordable...about one 1/4 of the price.
Sailormann is right in that these prices represent the prime docking, being closest to Toronto. And you can save money within some of those marinas by taking less prime slips. But it's not getting any cheaper, and the pricing shadow is sure to spread. I've kept boats at some of these marinas. My C&C 27 is at Midland Bay Sailing Club. We're a self-help community club, with a minimum of 20 hours volunteer labour annually. I think my total costs (dues, slip, haul and launch, winter storage, pumpout etc.) run about $1200.

I suspect the survey of marina costs is going to pique a lot of interest. If I'm still at this next year, I'd like to expand the survey outward and include more details.
Old 11-12-2007

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianseamonkey View Post
Well your friends cottage, which is probably a camp, isn't worth much, but the land is worth a mint. Lake Muskoka and St. Joseph has many movie stars, but mostly professional athletes. They are the only ones that can afford it!

I sail in Georgian Bay and North Channel....pretty sure I'm not in Lake Muskoka...last time I checked.

Yea, I find it amazing what we pay guys to play games while we watch

I don't mean to drag out this point, but I don't like to see misleading statements about the area.

Their cottage is not really a camp ( I envision a camp as a rustic cabin ??), but a typical wood cottage in this area, t&g interior walls and ceilings, painted wood siding exterior, on a private island with two additional out buildings. They had it appraised last year and it was not anywhere near $ 1.0M.

I've been in this area 25 years and check the prices regularliy. Even this year most of the cottages for sale were closer to average $500K. http://www.georgianbaycottages.com/b...waterfront.htm

Also in the 25 years I've yet to see a private helicopter landing in anyones yard, several float planes maybe but no copters.
Old 11-12-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Did the Okechobee lodge get bought out? Last time I went by it was closed.
Old 11-13-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Did the Okechobee lodge get bought out? Last time I went by it was closed.
Yes, it's now a private resort.
Old 11-14-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Sailormann is right in that these prices represent the prime docking,
While I am usually pleased to have been right, it wasn't me who pointed out the locale of the marinas, or their costs, so I can't take the credit there. FWIW, they are more expensive than some places on the Bruce Peninsula that I inquired about recently, but not quite as pricey as some of the marinas here in the GTA.

We pay for our pleasures
Old 11-14-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

where credit is due

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
While I am usually pleased to have been right, it wasn't me who pointed out the locale of the marinas, or their costs, so I can't take the credit there. FWIW, they are more expensive than some places on the Bruce Peninsula that I inquired about recently, but not quite as pricey as some of the marinas here in the GTA.

We pay for our pleasures
Yes, proper credit due to Mr. seamonkey. But thanks for the input on the Bruce side of things. Rates in the Midland-Penetang area have been cranking up steadily. My suspicion is that a lot of powerboaters for starters are going to start looking at that annual bill of three grand plus just for the marina space, then add on their ballooning fuel budget, as well as the weekend commute from the GTA to their boat, and wonder what they're doing with their summers.
I actually still own a powerboat, a pilothouse Fairline 29 I cruised northern Geoergian Bay's shallower nooks and crannies for a couple years. (She's on the hard right now.) I moved her up to Wright's Marina in Britt, a lovely family run facility and operated out of there for several years. I think my dockage/storage bill was about $1500 then. I've probably broken some sailnet rule by typing the word "powerboat," but there you go. A guy I think from Toronto with a Niagara 35 had also relocated to Wright's, and we could see more of this as boaters decide to drive farther to their boats to be right where they want to be, cruising wise. North of Pointe au Baril, the bay's boat traffic really thins out.
Old 11-14-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

I guess much depends on how far you want to drive. The drive from Midland to Byng Inlet (where Wright's Marine is) is about 1.5 hours, I believe. So would rather pay it in mooring or in gas and time....also the closer you are the quicker you can have a cold one in your cockpit

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.