Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up going north

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianseamonkey View Post
I guess much depends on how far you want to drive. The drive from Midland to Byng Inlet (where Wright's Marine is) is about 1.5 hours, I believe. So would rather pay it in mooring or in gas and time....also the closer you are the quicker you can have a cold one in your cockpit
We would hit the road from the house near Midland and be in Parry Sound in about an hour. Pull in, grab some groceries for the boat, then get back on the road and be in Britt in about 45 minutes. That compares with a sensible passage of about two days by water to get to the Byng Inlet area. It was then a very short run out of Byng Inlet to two excellent anchorage choices. We'd either go south into Norgate Inlet, where friends have cottages and local knowledge is a necessity for finding the best anchorages (or even getting in), or we would go north and duck into Black Bay and hang out there. Either way, it was an easy run at 7-8 knots that we could do in an hour or so. Problem with Norgate is that the run is very exposed and if the weather turns on you once you're in there, you can literally be stuck for a couple days.
For more extended runs, we'd go into Henvey Inlet (once had a bear try to board the boat from a rock wall) or up into the French River's eastern outlet area or over to the Bad. Sometimes stopped in the Bustards, but they can be awfully crowded. Northeastern Georgian Bay is just full of terrific hideyholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2007

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
The marina prices are the same in Collingwood & Meaford as they are in this region. I don't pay the price as quoted in the article, about $250 less, as we're out on a dock and not parked at shore. The farthest docks from shore are even less for walking a little more. There are marinas that have fewer services, and more self-serve that are slightly cheaper as well.
Actually it was me, but it really doesn't matter.

You would think the price of gas and dockage would deter people, but our marine was 98% full by June this year and she has a waiting list ofr next year.

I'd rather have our boat farther north. I've done several 1 & 2 week canoe trips thru Kilarney and love the area. Unfortunately, our 2 hr. drive right now is long enough just to get to the Penetang / Midland area. Sailing up the "Gap" past Beausoleil sometimes feels like walking across the 401 and I end up motoring closer to Giants Tomb and sail from there. Once up past there it's a great area to be in and I've found a few quiet anchorages with few other boats.

Next summer we are taking two weeks and heading up to the North Channel. Maybe we'll run into canadiansemonkey while we're there.
Old 11-15-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Quote:
Actually it was me, but it really doesn't matter.

You would think the price of gas and dockage would deter people, but our marine was 98% full by June this year and she has a waiting list ofr next year.

I'd rather have our boat farther north. I've done several 1 & 2 week canoe trips thru Kilarney and love the area. Unfortunately, our 2 hr. drive right now is long enough just to get to the Penetang / Midland area. Sailing up the "Gap" past Beausoleil sometimes feels like walking across the 401 and I end up motoring closer to Giants Tomb and sail from there. Once up past there it's a great area to be in and I've found a few quiet anchorages with few other boats.

Next summer we are taking two weeks and heading up to the North Channel. Maybe we'll run into canadiansemonkey while we're there.
I call the waters where the track north out of Midland crosses the track east-west between outer Penetang and Honey Harbour (below Beausoleil) The Washing MAchine. It's just churned up like crazy by boats (especially powerboats, and big tour boats like Miss Midland). It did seem ironic to me that while people like yourself were driving 2 hours to get to a boat where I live, I was getting in a car to drive two hours further north to get to my own boat.
As nice as the North Channel is, you don't have to haul yourself all the way there to get privacy and spectacular scenery. As I've said, the northeastern bay has wonderful stuff. But also as I've said, local knowledge is sometimes required. Next year I'm considering sailing north in late July and just leaving the 27 in Britt for the month of August, and driving to it, then sailing back home in September.
Old 11-15-2007

scottbr is on a distinguished road
I know what you mean about the washing machine. The bid stinkboaters that cruise along at half-plane ( nose way in the air stance) throw up a huge wake. Quite often they'll break plane to half-plane as they pass close by, figuring they're doing you a favour. The Miss Midland and the Georgian Queen are not so bad with their wake, but I've had to do some quick manouvering to stay out of their way in that narrow area.

We considered Collingwood and Meaford as they are closer to home but we've been in the Honey Harbour area for years and know the region well and wanted to be nearer the islands than spending all day crossing Georgian Bay.

I'll keep the Northeast area for future cruisng. Kilbear Park and the North Channel have been "dream" destinations for years. We did Kilbear this year and have to do Kilarney next year. After that we'll probably explore the in-between areas.

Last edited by scottbr; 11-15-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Quote:
I know what you mean about the washing machine. The bid stinkboaters that cruise along at half-plane ( nose way in the air stance) throw up a huge wake. Quite often they'll break plane to half-plane as they pass close by, figuring they're doing you a favour. The Miss Midland and the Georgian Queen are not so bad with their wake, but I've had to do some quick manouvering to stay out of their way in that narrow area.

We considered Collingwood and Meaford as they are closer to home but we've been in the Honey Harbour area for years and know the region well and wanted to be nearer the islands than spending all day crossing Georgian Bay.

I'll keep the Northeast area for future cruisng. Kilbear Park and the North Channel have been "dream" destinations for years. We did Kilbear this year and have to do Kilarney next year. After that we'll probably explore the in-between areas.
Have fun with it. The bay has no shortage of hidey-holes.
It's true that the Miss Midland has a less traumatizing wake, having a longer wavelength than those short steep monsters the megacruisers in a half-a%%ed hurry throw your way. But that wake sure can propagate for the longest time and distance. More than once we've been wallowed by a swell on Severn Sound while just daysailing and have looked around and can't see ANYTHING. We know it's leftover slop from the Miss Midland, booming her way up to the Cognashene.
We're supposed to get snow squalls today. I hate winter already.
Old 11-15-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
It seems to me that the area north of Parry Sound & south of Killarney is the least travelled. Folks coming from south Georgian Bay for a week turn around at Parry Sound. Cruisers coming from Tobermory head to Killarney or the North Channel. I know, speaking from experience!
Old 11-16-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
It seems to me that the area north of Parry Sound & south of Killarney is the least travelled. Folks coming from south Georgian Bay for a week turn around at Parry Sound. Cruisers coming from Tobermory head to Killarney or the North Channel. I know, speaking from experience!
No question. A lot of people coming out of Killarney pick the Bustards as a stopover and then move on to Britt/Byng Inlet or go straight to Parry Hoot. (and I can recall the crew at the CG rescue station at Byng Inlet firing across the bay in the IRB to get fish and chips in Killarney). A whole lot of the northeast is underexplored as a result. (And some of us kind of like it that way...)
Old 11-17-2007

indeaver is on a distinguished road
any articles about sailing north from Florida to Canada in April?
Old 11-18-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeaver View Post
any articles about sailing north from Florida to Canada in April?
None by me. But you'd better define "Canada" and "April" pretty firmly. Others can answer better (and you should probably create a new thread), but you have to decide whether that means Atlantic Canada or up the ICW and HUdson and Erie Canal, and actually expect functioning services and navaids free of ice. On Georgian Bay, the goal with navaids is to have them fully inspected and serviced by the May 24th weekend. And we often have ice right into late april, although Lake Ontario and Erie free up sooner.
Old 11-20-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

50th anniversary of cruise guide

I was inspired today to write one of the most tardy book reviews in publishing history. It will be 50 years next June since Cruising the Georgian Bay was published by Kenneth McNeill Wells. It's one of the greatest cruising "guides" ever written, long out of print, but available for not too much from antiquarian sellers. Wells had a global following for his Owl Pen books on bucolic rural life, but he wrote several books about cruising various waters, and the one on Georgian Bay, published in 1958, was a witty gem. If you cruise Georgian Bay, you'll really appreciate this frozen-in-time look at the bay before the small craft route and all the cottages showed up. You can read my piece by visiting www.sweetwatercruising.com and following the link in "features."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.

Last edited by Diva27; 11-20-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.