SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Cruising Georgian Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/38192-cruising-georgian-bay.html)

Diva27 11-03-2007 01:09 PM

Cruising Georgian Bay

I'm a full-time writer and graphic designer who is also a sailing nut on Georgian Bay. (I live just outside Midland, belong to Midland Bay Sailing CLub, where I keep my C&C 27 Diva.) I'm in the process of building a web presence devoted to issues of concern to cruisers on Georgian Bay and the North Channel. It's a side project that keeps me out of trouble and away from the television in the evening. A prototype of the site, Sweetwater Cruising is now up. It's pretty basic, and not everything is there yet. I also haven't finalized where the web hosting will happen. But if you Google the name, you'll find it, wherever it is. I would really love feedback from fellow cruisers on what sorts of things they want to be kept up to date on, and I will try to comply, as my time permits. There's an email button that will let you contact me. Please note that I want to focus on the cruising experience and issues related to preserving the natural splendour of the area, not things like boats or gear, and all the other good things that make Sailnet interesting as a forum for discussions and swapping of lies.
much thanks

sailingdog 11-04-2007 02:51 AM

Diva-

Welcome to sailnet. Be aware that you can't post links until you have ten posts. Also, the photo posting is basically broken, so if you want to post an image, you'll want to use a photo sharing website, like flickr.com, and link to the image using the
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/images...nsertimage.gif icon.

CapnHand 11-04-2007 09:41 AM

Douglas,

I'm at the south end of the lake. You're off to a good start with your site and I look forward to seeing it develop. It was interesting to read about the environmental / ecological issues that you post on the site.

BTW, the link to the CHS chart catalog didn't work for me. I tried to find a working link with google but had no luck, could be a temporary problem on their end.

canadianseamonkey 11-04-2007 11:58 AM

Welcome aboard Diva.

Here's the link to the site he is talking about.

http://web.mac.com/dwh5/Sweetwater_C...g/Welcome.html

I'm glad to see somebody taking interest on these waters, as they are a top cruising destination. Site looks good so far. I'd be more than happy to contribute stories from The North Channel if you need any.

Good luck.

scottbr 11-07-2007 12:45 PM

I like the idea of the type of information you have on the site. I hope you can keep it current and new info coming. Should attract attention given 3- 4,000 boats in the Midland, Penetang, Victoria Harbour region alone.

tigerregis 11-07-2007 05:02 PM

Wow! These prices are more than I pay in Annapolis. When I started on my own boat in 1989, my annuals were $150.00 on Lake Ontario.
Good luck with your endeavour, I like it.

Sailormann 11-07-2007 10:07 PM

Nice site. I am especially interested in the water level issue. Would be nice if you were able to keep current info updated. Ads would be okay if they were from related enterprises.

Sailormann 11-07-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Wow! These prices are more than I pay in Annapolis. When I started on my own boat in 1989, my annuals were $150.00 on Lake Ontario.
And those are CANADIAN dollars too so add an extra 8% to get the American dollar price ;)

canadianseamonkey 11-08-2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailormann (Post 219363)
And those are CANADIAN dollars too so add an extra 8% to get the American dollar price ;)

Those prices are quite isolated to that region of Georgian Bay. It's only a few hours north of Toronto and is considered the richmans paradise. The average price of a cottage is over million dollars as well and most of them have helicoper pads. As you get further north or west the prices become affordable...about one 1/4 of the price.

scottbr 11-09-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianseamonkey (Post 219467)
Those prices are quite isolated to that region of Georgian Bay. It's only a few hours north of Toronto and is considered the richmans paradise. The average price of a cottage is over million dollars as well and most of them have helicoper pads. As you get further north or west the prices become affordable...about one 1/4 of the price.

WOW, I'll have to tell my friends there 100 yr. old cottage is worth triple its actual value, and next time I'm over there, I'll have to look much harder for that helicopter pad :cool:

MOST of the prices in this region are well below $1.0M and very few have helicopter pads. Perhaps you've been sailing in Lake Muskoka where the prices are closer and above the $1.0M mark. Goldie Hawn has a cottage on that lake. Saw a wirte up on one cottage being built last year that had hit $8.0M and was not 100% finished yet. He still had to install the water slide form the cottage down to the lake.

The marina prices are the same in Collingwood & Meaford as they are in this region. I don't pay the price as quoted in the article, about $250 less, as we're out on a dock and not parked at shore. The farthest docks from shore are even less for walking a little more. There are marinas that have fewer services, and more self-serve that are slightly cheaper as well.