Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
Cruising Georgian Bay

I'm a full-time writer and graphic designer who is also a sailing nut on Georgian Bay. (I live just outside Midland, belong to Midland Bay Sailing CLub, where I keep my C&C 27 Diva.) I'm in the process of building a web presence devoted to issues of concern to cruisers on Georgian Bay and the North Channel. It's a side project that keeps me out of trouble and away from the television in the evening. A prototype of the site, Sweetwater Cruising is now up. It's pretty basic, and not everything is there yet. I also haven't finalized where the web hosting will happen. But if you Google the name, you'll find it, wherever it is. I would really love feedback from fellow cruisers on what sorts of things they want to be kept up to date on, and I will try to comply, as my time permits. There's an email button that will let you contact me. Please note that I want to focus on the cruising experience and issues related to preserving the natural splendour of the area, not things like boats or gear, and all the other good things that make Sailnet interesting as a forum for discussions and swapping of lies.
much thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Diva-

Welcome to sailnet. Be aware that you can't post links until you have ten posts. Also, the photo posting is basically broken, so if you want to post an image, you'll want to use a photo sharing website, like flickr.com, and link to the image using the
icon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-04-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Douglas,

I'm at the south end of the lake. You're off to a good start with your site and I look forward to seeing it develop. It was interesting to read about the environmental / ecological issues that you post on the site.

BTW, the link to the CHS chart catalog didn't work for me. I tried to find a working link with google but had no luck, could be a temporary problem on their end.
Old 11-04-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard Diva.

Here's the link to the site he is talking about.

http://web.mac.com/dwh5/Sweetwater_C...g/Welcome.html

I'm glad to see somebody taking interest on these waters, as they are a top cruising destination. Site looks good so far. I'd be more than happy to contribute stories from The North Channel if you need any.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2007

scottbr is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of the type of information you have on the site. I hope you can keep it current and new info coming. Should attract attention given 3- 4,000 boats in the Midland, Penetang, Victoria Harbour region alone.
Old 11-07-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Wow! These prices are more than I pay in Annapolis. When I started on my own boat in 1989, my annuals were $150.00 on Lake Ontario.
Good luck with your endeavour, I like it.
Old 11-07-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Nice site. I am especially interested in the water level issue. Would be nice if you were able to keep current info updated. Ads would be okay if they were from related enterprises.
Old 11-07-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Wow! These prices are more than I pay in Annapolis. When I started on my own boat in 1989, my annuals were $150.00 on Lake Ontario.
And those are CANADIAN dollars too so add an extra 8% to get the American dollar price
Old 11-08-2007
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
And those are CANADIAN dollars too so add an extra 8% to get the American dollar price

Those prices are quite isolated to that region of Georgian Bay. It's only a few hours north of Toronto and is considered the richmans paradise. The average price of a cottage is over million dollars as well and most of them have helicoper pads. As you get further north or west the prices become affordable...about one 1/4 of the price.
Old 11-09-2007

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianseamonkey View Post
Those prices are quite isolated to that region of Georgian Bay. It's only a few hours north of Toronto and is considered the richmans paradise. The average price of a cottage is over million dollars as well and most of them have helicoper pads. As you get further north or west the prices become affordable...about one 1/4 of the price.
WOW, I'll have to tell my friends there 100 yr. old cottage is worth triple its actual value, and next time I'm over there, I'll have to look much harder for that helicopter pad

MOST of the prices in this region are well below $1.0M and very few have helicopter pads. Perhaps you've been sailing in Lake Muskoka where the prices are closer and above the $1.0M mark. Goldie Hawn has a cottage on that lake. Saw a wirte up on one cottage being built last year that had hit $8.0M and was not 100% finished yet. He still had to install the water slide form the cottage down to the lake.

The marina prices are the same in Collingwood & Meaford as they are in this region. I don't pay the price as quoted in the article, about $250 less, as we're out on a dock and not parked at shore. The farthest docks from shore are even less for walking a little more. There are marinas that have fewer services, and more self-serve that are slightly cheaper as well.

Last edited by scottbr; 11-09-2007 at 07:48 AM.