Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007

Morgan3820 is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
Actually Cam, it is illegal for anyone from any country to leave US waters or even plan to leave. The consequences are far more serious than a staring contest as Rick seems to suggest. A US citizen would be a fool to try and play games with Homeland Security. Anson, if you are an American, DON'T GO.
Please spare me your definition of what an American is. We have ceased to be a land of the free due in part to thinking like yours. George Bush or you have no right, no right at all to tell me or anyone else what to do with my time or my money. Previous Americans have died to preserve the freedoms that G Bush is hell bent to take away. He and those that think like him betray and dishonor their sacrifice. I hope that his replacement (Thank God) actually takes his oath to protect the Constitution seriously. I would be surprised if george has ever even read it. Have you? And no I am not a fan of Hillary, Obamma or any other democratic party candidate
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2007

Stepford is on a distinguished road
Well, then go ahead and go.
Old 11-14-2007
phallo 1, Gustav 0

phallo153 is on a distinguished road
Ebs001 was obviously just advising Anson against violating any laws or taking unnecessary risks. I don't think he was questioning his 'patriotism'.

That having been said, give us a break Morgan... I'm no fan of GW, but he was about 17 years old when the first travel restriction to Cuba went into effect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Morgan, old sport!
ebs ain't even an Amuricun. He's just a happy go-lucky Canuck stuck at the dentist's office on a lap-top, trying to help out a cruiser. There remains the distinct possibility that he's gotten in to the laughing gas again though. Why don't you take your political hoo-hah over to the Off Topic forum. There's a great thread over there on fermenting sour yak milk that's must reading.
Old 11-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hah...EBS is Canadian, liberal and probably somewhat to the left of your own politics Morgan...he was just giving good advice to stay out of trouble...not a political opinion.
As for you...blame the restrictions on Kennedy and every President and Congress since then.
As for me...law or no law...I prefer not to spend my $$ to support a vicious dictator.
Old 11-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Rick...here's a source:
1/25/2004 Washington Times: "If U.S. citizens visit Cuba and fail to put it on the post-trip declaration form, they can be charged with perjury and their name entered into the Homeland Security Department database. If they admit to traveling to Cuba, they are subject to a fine of as much as $10,000."
Old 11-14-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Oh, this is great. Here we go again...

Well, I have had a beer or two, to begin the conversation:

First, I would guess that the OP is a troll. If not, my apologies. This topic has been highly debated here and on other sites.

From a non-personal note, I will say that I am not sure that it is illegal to visit Cuba. Not sure the US can actually do that to its citizens. Instead, they found a loophole that you cannot spend any money there... something about trading with the enemy or whatever. Might as well be the same thing since Castro ain't running his island for free. So, in a way, I guess it is illegal and in a way it is not. I must apologize as I have not checked the latest reg's since leaving S Fl.

From a personal note: Now, since I brought up S FL, I think anyone PLANNING on visiting Cuba (American, Canadian, Wada-wadakan or WTF ever) should have to spend at least 3 months in Miami or some of the keys which I will be happy to name. You can let them recall the pillaging and dissapearance and murdering in their country. My suggestion is don't tell them you are planning on visiting, if you value your cojones. But hey, what do I know? I am just a dumb American (and Texan at that) that does not know any better.

And yes, the restrictions were not GWB's... though he has no intention of lifting them. I don't like anyone telling me where I can and cannot go either, but even if they paid me money, I would not go to Cuba and pay that BAS**** a dime of my money. And the sad thing is... I would love to go. I have on many occasions been closer to their border than the US, and kept my course away.

Do what you want. THe S Fl word is that if they suspect you ( I SAID SUSPECT) you can lose your tub. Not worth it. Steer clear. That is what the US Govt wants anyways, and I have no mind to fight it... so screw them. If you do decide, you know, to screw them: well, just sail on, Brother. The trick is EDIT... forget it... there is a trick to doing it... EDIT... go to S Fl and they will tell you how to get around it... I am not going to tell you...

EDIT... edit again...

THat is all I will say. You can pick up the pieces from there if you are hell bent on going. I gave you enough info to figure out how to get around the system. If you can't figure it out from there, you deserve to lose your boat.

Regards,

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-14-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Ouch.

BTW Cam, I understand your distaste for Fido, but I've been very disappointed and saddened for the effects on Cuba's populace over the past 40 years. Next to perhaps some areas of Borneo, PNG and a few other places, they're the closest thing there is to a Country In A Bubble (so to speak). And with the greatness of America just a few short miles away, that has got to really be emotionally unsettling to them. I find the whole edict/charade/regulations very disheartening. Hopefully in the very near future the cloak of stagnation will be lifted.

Then maybe my sis-in-law and her family can return home after all these years. That is if there's anything left for them to see and hold.........

RB
Old 11-14-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz View Post
Ouch.

BTW Cam, I understand your distaste for Fido, but I've been very disappointed and saddened for the effects on Cuba's populace over the past 40 years. Next to perhaps some areas of Borneo, PNG and a few other places, they're the closest thing there is to a Country In A Bubble (so to speak). And with the greatness of America just a few short miles away, that has got to really be emotionally unsettling to them. I find the whole edict/charade/regulations very disheartening. Hopefully in the very near future the cloak of stagnation will be lifted.

Then maybe my sis-in-law and her family can return home after all these years. That is if there's anything left for them to see and hold.........

RB
Rick,

I think you have read enough of my stuff to know I am not quick temepered. Most people here know this topic is the quickest way to see me lose my cool.

Just spend some time there. THose people, well, have really been screwed over by that guy. I have heard soooooooo many storis. I had the gal that cleaned my housewas a cuba. She cried to us many times about what happened. Unbelieveable. I thought she was a screw ball. THen another rape story, and another dissapearance... and well, whatever.

It is a sore subject with me. I will not make light of how I feel. And if you think I am being harsh.. hey, you are from Mexico... hop a plan to little Havana and talk to some of the folks there. You will change your mind.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-14-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Rick,
Maybe send your posted concerns to Fidel. The US is just ignoring the country, the rest of the world is free to trade with Cuba, and the place is still a bicycle shop with no air.