SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Naples Fl, Marinas? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/38740-naples-fl-marinas.html)

MangoTango1 11-23-2007 10:30 AM

Naples Fl, Marinas?

Where do cruisers stay in Naples or maybe San Marco Island. We will be making a passage from Seabrook TX in a couple of weeks looking for warmer weather and bluer water. Mango

camaraderie 11-23-2007 11:38 AM

I think you may be disappointed in Naples/Marco water quality...head for the Keys if that is important. Also...you are leaving it rather late in the season if you are crossing the gulf directly. Northers can really spoil your day in the open Gulf. You may wish to consider a more coastal route.
If you do want to stay on the west coast of Fl...suggest Ft. Myers as easier to navigate and more boater friendly with city moorings for rent and an easy walk to the beach and stores/shops.
This would be a good guide for your trip...
http://www.amazon.com/Waterway-Guide.../dp/0976806657

Have fun!

heslopg 11-25-2007 01:42 AM

Marco Island is pretty cool. The anchorage is a little tight as Factory Bay is only navigable around the outsides of the bay. I've anchored there a couple times. There is a marina, though anchoring is just fine, in Factory Bay or possibily in the river across from the bay (vessels often anchored there).

I second the motion for Fort Myers Beach mooring field. I'm not huge on moorings, but this is pretty convenient. This is from memory, but you will approach the San Carlos sea bouy & find the channel into the anchorage at Estero Island on your right. The channel might seems a little freaky as it somes within spitting distance of the beach. Once under the bridge the mooring field is straight ahead & a channel a little to the starboard. The Fort Myers Beach mooring field is currently administered by the Matanzas Inn (under the bridge and immediately to the right). Last I was there, the mooring balls still said to contact Salty Sams...wrong. Pickup a ball & dingy into Matanzas Inn. If a particularly large vessel, call and check which ball to take. The dingy dock is located right under the bridge, on the west side.

Like good pizza? An unlikely place with good pizza is the bar near the dingy dock. Walk from the dock to the street, turn right and across the street a couple dozen yards. Good pizza.

There is a decent anchorage at Goodland & a pretty cool place to stay at Everglade City (further south)...depending on draft.

You are getting into a very cool part of the world.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.

davit 11-30-2007 11:58 AM

BE DAMN CAREFUL in the Marcos Island area. The channel markers are WRONG. You'll be splitting them like a field goal right on the way into a marina in suppoingly 7-8 ft of water then BAM! you're aground in only 4 Ft. Happoens a lot. I couldn't believe it. we were stuck hard in secnds. After trying ourselves for hours we clled sea tow. guess what? We were the 8th one that week. Even the operator admitted that the markers were screwed. Of course it didn't hurt his business any. why is we havebillions for Iraq but no money to upgrade OUR American waterways????

sailingdog 11-30-2007 12:25 PM

American Waterways aren't a good source of crude oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davit (Post 230605)
BE DAMN CAREFUL in the Marcos Island area. The channel markers are WRONG. You'll be splitting them like a field goal right on the way into a marina in suppoingly 7-8 ft of water then BAM! you're aground in only 4 Ft. Happoens a lot. I couldn't believe it. we were stuck hard in secnds. After trying ourselves for hours we clled sea tow. guess what? We were the 8th one that week. Even the operator admitted that the markers were screwed. Of course it didn't hurt his business any. why is we havebillions for Iraq but no money to upgrade OUR American waterways????