Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's right...the very early Geminis were outboard powered...

Yes, anchoring from the stern is only good in light winds and warmer weather... makes no sense in the rain or strong winds...

Probably still worth checking in with the manufacturer about their recommendations as well as lifting the outboard as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
Hey SD,

I prefer to anchor from the bow, especially in cold weather. Less wind in the cabin. I have an outboard on my old Gem, not a stillete. I don't think corrosion will be a problem seeing as how the generator is on the bow and the outboard is 30 feet away on the stern. I am careful that there are no swimmers, but I think it's better to ground to the water, than not at all. I don't want to electrocute myself by touching a charged generator. I don't know where else you would ground to while at anchor.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
nautib.blogspot.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Have you read Don Jordan's article on anchoring from the stern. I do that a fair bit with my trimaran...and she seems happy about it.
I'm going to have to think about that one. I have aft bollards welded to the deck that are strong enough to handle a stern anchor bridle or a Jordan Series Drogue, and so this is a possibility for me. But I will also have a windvane back there and I have a transom-hung rudder, so it's already going to be a busy location.

I am about halfway through Earl Hinz's Big Book of Anchoring, and will figure it out after I've absorbed that fairly significant amount of technical information.

As for the AC ground on a Honda generator, I have to figure this out as well, because that "steel boat thing" is a special case. I have a book to read on that, as well, called "Metal Corrosion in Boats". The whole topic's a real pain in the anode.
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Valiente—

A corrosion problem on my boat does little...on your boat it may leave you swimming, so it is a different order of problem.

You'd need a pretty hefty JSD...given the size and mass of your steel beastie. One of my projects this winter is to fabricate new chainplates for the JSD I have. I want to move the hardpoints for it outboard more and give it a longer bridle to use. Right now, I'm thinking the in-board side of the amas for the bridle, rather than outer sides of the main hull, which is what I'm currently using.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I've heard that the JSD works well, but that it is a real trial getting it back aboard in any kind of a sea. The Pardeys favour a Para-Anchor style of sea anchor...further research is required/
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

I've test deployed mine... and pulling it back aboard is a bear. One thing I found works fairly well is to walk the JSD around to the bow, and then drift down on it...hauling it up on to the ama decks as we drift down on it... but that's not a good option for you... since you ain't got no amas to do this with.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-23-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
The Honda EU2000i is the most popular portable generator with cruisers. Just plug it into your shore power with a 15/30 amp cheater and a short extension cord. It works best with a large smart charger. I have a 100 amp charger and when my wind generator doesn't keep up due to no wind I fire up the Honda. A friend of mine had the same generator but with a 20 amp charger and no panels or wind generator he had a hard time keeping his 450 amp house bank up. He thought his fridge had crapped out but it was his batteries. If you run the house bank down 50% it'll take you more than 15 hours to bring the bank up with a 20 amp charger and the Honda. If you rely only on the Honda and a 20 amp charger you'd better run it at least four hours a day to try and keep up with using about 100 amps a day. You'll still be losing. Just do the math.

Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

Vasco-

Of course, you do realize that you're mainly charging the batteries from 50% up to about 80%... since you're not going into the absorbtion or float stages of charging with such a short run.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dawg...I don't get how you arrive at that.
If he has 100amp 3 stage charge and needs to replace 225 amps (from 50% of 450ah capacity), then he will be at 80% once he gets to 360amps total or 135amps delivered.
With a 100amp charger this will take place in about 1 hour and 15 minutes after which he will probably get to about 90% charged as the charger ramps down to absorption levels in just 2 hours. More if you use the whole tank of gas...but not much efficiency in doing that.
Am I missing something?

Val's larger point is correct about needed a good sized charger to take advantage of the Honda.
Old 11-23-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
sailingdog,

When I use the Honda I'm usually going from 50% to 85% because you have to run it too long to get the last 15% in. So in effect I'm only using 35% of my bank. When it blows again the batteries get back up to 100% thanks to my KISS. A couple of years ago I used the Honda to equalize a bank of flooded batteries. Had to run it all day, hardest part was refilling the gas without causing a fire! I changed to AGM's last year.

Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

Cam-

It's just that the absorption stage drastically drops the current acceptance rate... and it usually switches from bulk to absorption at about 80% or so. Unless you're running the charger for more than a couple of hours, you're probably only getting from 50% up to about 80-85%... since you're now on the part of the curve where running the gen just doesn't really make that much sense in terms of what it returns.

Yes, you do need a fairly high amperage charger to get the greatest efficiency out of using a Honda genset, and AGM batteries are needed too. Unless you have a pretty massive battery bank, it won't accept 100 amps for very long if it is made up of wet cells.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.