Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
OK...I guess we agree then...I am just saying that getting from 80-90% in 45 minutes at absorption ramp-down is quite reasonable. We both agree that getting from 90 to 100% is not possible. Split the difference and call it 85% like Vasco says! (g)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
sailingdog,

When I use the Honda I'm usually going from 50% to 85% because you have to run it too long to get the last 15% in. So in effect I'm only using 35% of my bank. When it blows again the batteries get back up to 100% thanks to my KISS. A couple of years ago I used the Honda to equalize a bank of flooded batteries. Had to run it all day, hardest part was refilling the gas without causing a fire! I changed to AGM's last year.
You've illustrated a good point for me here. With wind and plenty of solar available, plus a 100 amp charger, for me the charging aspect of the Honda 2000 will be primarily as a "stop gap" to charge a large bank to the "functional" 80% point, after which either the sun will be out, the wind will be blowing, or I'll start the damn engine!

The primary purpose of the Honda for me will be to power standard 115 AC hand tools on deck (grinding metal parts or cutting wood) when I want to avoid a big draw on the inverter and/or have a reason to get the work out of the forepeak workshop.

I can also see bagging it and taking it onto a beach to do work in a portable fashion. Certain places in the Pacific I can see a good way to make pals locally would be to bring your own dozen amps or so.
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... works for me Cam... hard to say exactly how fast it drops off without knowing what the batteries are and what charger is being used.

Valiente-

Again, just remember that the Honda is rated for 2000 Watts of resistive loads...which is only about 1000 Watts of inductive loads... most tools are inductive loads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-25-2007
Glenn (s/v Seawing)

heslopg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to heslopg
I use a Honda IU2000. I know it's limited in it's DC output, but I plug it directly into my shorepower inlet & power the battery charger, along with the AC water heater, computer, lights & everything else I can plug in. Works fine for me. Noise is the issue. It's pretty quiet in itself, it's the vibration it makes while sitting on deck.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing.
Old 11-25-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I place mine on a closed cell foam pad and this absorbs much of the vibration.

Old 11-25-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Again, just remember that the Honda is rated for 2000 Watts of resistive loads...which is only about 1000 Watts of inductive loads... most tools are inductive loads.
Most of my tools are 6 amp draws or less, so it's not a problem. I think even my "cabin" ShopVac (much more effective than those gutless hand vacuums everyone has!) draws only 6 amps.

Another use for the Honda is in the case of catastrophic failure of the boat's electrical system, but no actual hull damage: You can use (with filtering, I suppose) the Honda to power radios, lights and even radar for a time. It's more a form of "life support", but as long as the gas holds out and you can keep it dry on deck, it's possible within limits to keep your boat electrically "alive" until you can reach shore.

I also carry a 700 watt "power pack" with jumper cables. I've used it to run a hand sander for half an hour working on smoothing down glass work on a RIB before it got to 50%. Because it's just a 25 pound AGM battery in essence, I would choose this over the Honda if I needed to illuminate a sail with a hand spotlight or needed to charge hand held radios, etc.
Old 11-25-2007

SVGratitude is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your input. It seems that it should work pretty well for its intended use (supplemental charging).

I'm off to pick up my Honda 2000 tomorrow. I'll post a follow up after I've used it and formed an opinion.

Thanks again,
Old 11-26-2007

Let us know if you get a good price and what connectors/plugs/grounding procedures are necessary on board, please.
Old 12-05-2007

paulfitch is on a distinguished road
I've used my Honda 2000 for 4 years now without any electrical problems. I plug it into the shore power input. I have a Freedom/Heart 1500 inverter/charger and the Honda regularly puts 60+ amps into the house bank when the batteries are down 100 amp hours or more. I'm also on a Gemini and always pump up the Silette leg when at anchor. Gen. sits on back transom so wind carries away exhaust. I haven't grounded the gen. and have found no electrical problems in the past 4 years. Just had it in the shop about a month ago. Not bad service for a boat that's gone from Florida to Panama mostly in a salt air environment.
Old 12-05-2007

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Hey Paul, Gemini owners unite! We'll take over the world.

My concern about placing the generator on the stern is that there is a wind eddy created by the bimini (hard top on newer gems). The first time I ran my generator I had it on the stern, and I felt a little dizzy. But mine is a crappy two cycle, and probably puts off a lot more pollution than yours. I'm also particularly sensitive to chemical fumes. If you have a carbon monoxide detector you should be fine.

I'd recommend locating the DC ground on your boat, just for informational purposes. My boat does not seem to have one, but then again, it's a grandaddy gem, and has some other design flaws.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
http://nautib.blogspot.com