Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007

gonesailin40 is on a distinguished road
Have spent my entire life on the gulf coast and having worked offshore on the oil rigs gives me a little insight. After the first real cold front comes through the Gulf can become a very nasty and scary place to be. I have on several occasions been on a 175 foot crew boat and been concerned for my safety. I would not go out on any extended voyage until spring time. In between cold fronts does make for some great day/overnight sailing chances.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2007
Solo Sailor

txgypsySoul is on a distinguished road
Hey salty, Have you left yet, if not let me know as I am headed the same way I think. I think we have met but not sure. Let me know something.

Richard
Old 01-01-2008

rfcanon is on a distinguished road
Made the trip in 2006.

My wife and I sailed our Caliber 40 LRC from Rockport, Texas to Isla Mujeres in May of 2006. We were headed to the NW Caribbean and are still here in the Rio Dulce, Guatemala getting the boat ready for another cruising season and will be returning to Texas this June. We are considering returning via the Eastern coast of Mexico but as you know, not much is written about that. There is a cruising guide by Rains that covers the Mexican Gulf coast and includes information on Progresso.

We chose to go straight across in late May. Our reasoning was that we could avoid the cold fronts, the summer thunder storms were not geared up yet and the pilot charts indicated relatively calm winds and seas at that time of the year. Our crossing was relatively uneventful from a weather perspective. We do know of boats that have gone into Progresso instead of Isla Mujeres and had no problems. The pilot charts will show you that the prevailing wind is from the SE so be prepared to motor sail. Seas at that time are generally calmer that in early spring. Based on anecdotes from others, we would definitely not go across in the winter.

We had engine problems and were delayed but we made the crossing in 8 days and would have been finished in 6-7 without the problems. Oil wells are not much of a problem past approximately 100 miles out from South Texas. Some cruisers do take the option of going to Florida and crossing from Key West. We did not have the time to do that and have not regretted our decision. I'm sure you have heard this several times but it is worth repeating...for a Gulf crossing pick you weather window carefully. Hope this information is helpful.

Roy Canon
s/v Lyric
Old 12-08-2011

olegunny is on a distinguished road
Crossing the Gulf in winter means you will encounter some so called "northers." Usually effect you for perhaps a couple of days. Sea will be moderate but nothing to concern a well founded yacht.
Old 01-31-2012

Yucatancruiser is on a distinguished road
For anyone interested in going from Texas to the Yucatan, I have some very good information on the ports of Progreso and also some others for you to look at yucatancruising.com
Old 02-03-2012

The page i have made for information on where to go and ports to visit in the northern Yucatan is www.yucatancruisng.com and is meant for any one that wants to visit the area on a boat, to have the basic information on how to get there, what ports to visit, charts of the harbors and location of services as well as useful information of safety and precautions. I encourage sailors to visit and give me feed back on the page or even recommendations on what else to put and how to imprueve the information. Thank you all!!
Old 02-08-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road
Yucatan Cruising

This link worked better for me. Maybe because I am using Mozilla, don't know.

Thanks for the post
Yucatancruiser likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-13-2012

Thumbs up Did you do the crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtaylor View Post
Looking toward the future and retirement in four more years, I'm thinking of having my 1977 Ericson 32 trucked from California to either Texas or Louisiana and then sailing across the Gulf of Mexico to the port of Progreso on the northern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula. My wife is from Merida and we plan on retiring there.

Has anyone here made such a trip? If so, what are your thoughts on leaving from Texas vs. Louisiana; how long should the trip take; and, what time of year is optimal? Also, what problems/obstacles would be encountered?

Thanks,
Charles
Hello Charles! I was wondering if you made the crossing from Texas to Progreso back then? I would be interested in meeting you sometime to exchange experience and see what useful info I can add to my page.