SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (
-   -   Extended Stay in the Keys - What's Your Preference? (

PBzeer 12-01-2007 07:48 AM

Extended Stay in the Keys - What's Your Preference?
Looking at spending a month at either Marathon or Key West, and wondered which one would be the better choice for taking a mooring ball?

Freesail99 12-01-2007 07:52 AM

John, just for my own information, what do mooring balls cost there ? Thanks,

PBzeer 12-01-2007 08:01 AM

$250 (probably plus tax) at Marathon, $276 (with tax) at Key West is the current published monthly rate. Marathon includes one pumpout per week, not sure about Key West.

Freesail99 12-01-2007 08:04 AM

Thanks John, somehow, I thought it be more as it's hard to find a place to anchor.

PBzeer 12-01-2007 08:10 AM

Main thing I'm wondering about is availability.

Rockter 12-01-2007 09:14 AM

Go to Dry Tortugas for a wee while and drop anchor.

Fuel up, bring plenty of beer, and stay a while.

This is my ship, there in 1992...

I really liked the place, but stay clear in hurricane season.

There are no supplies there though.

TrueBlue 12-01-2007 09:21 AM

John, I assume that you haven't spent any time ashore in Key West and Marathon. Otherwise, I think you'd certainly have your own opinion.

I can't comment on mooring ball availability, other than guessing there is a low probability of getting one within the next few months. Marathon's big attraction is sport fishing, so expect lots of powerboaters and diving charter boats to be sharing waters with you.

Key West is . . . well Key West. Expensive restaurants and high costs for provisions can be expected, as well as very "colorful" local personalities. We've always stayed in B & Bs, but hung out by the wharf district quite a bit. KW is a fun town and would probably be my choice to stay if arriving by boat.

sailhog 12-01-2007 10:14 AM

As a young, fit man, you're going to need an automatic weapon to fight off the natives in Key West. I'd suggest that you shoot at their dinks (boats, not their peckers) as they approach. This way you can hack at their fingers with a knife as they try to climb over the rail. If even on manages to get aboard, well... you have two options: either take your own life, or just grit and bear it. Anyway, good night and good luck.

PBzeer 12-01-2007 11:22 AM

TB - I've spent no time ashore in either, hence my question, as you surmised. Marathon seems like it's better price-wise on shore though (provisions, etc). Maybe I'll just have to spend a month at both :)

xort 12-01-2007 12:19 PM

There is a bus that runs from marathon to KW if you decide to stay in Marathon.