Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007

wiseleyb is on a distinguished road
Desolation Sound, BC, Canada?

I'd like to spend 3-4 months up around Desolation Sound this summer. By chance does anyone have recommendations of marinas in the area that have wifi (or even public libraries that have wifi). Need to get some work done 3-4 days a week while up there and I'm pretty certain my evdo won't work.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2007
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
We go up every summer. We got wifi in Nanaimo, Lund and Pender Harbor on the way up. There might be wifi in Refuge Cove, but it's doubtful. Other than that, you might be able to piggy back off someone's satellite setup in Prideaux Haven where the rich boaters anchor.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 12-01-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Wifi in Desolation Sound proper is going to be tough. Besides those places mentioned by erps, on the Island side you should find some in Comox and Campbell River, but they, like Nanaimo & Pender Harbour are not really in Desolation.

If a Prideaux Haven piggyback is possible, then you may also get lucky in Squirrel Cove, another large popular anchorage in the area.

Beyond Desolation, it may be possible that the larger marinas (Big Bay e.g.) now (or will soon) offer Wifi.

btw: nice picture!
Old 12-01-2007

kiprichard is on a distinguished road
Notice the name. There's not much for convenience in Desolation Sound. The previous replys have pretty much covered it.
Old 12-02-2007
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
Here's a link to the service I use: http://www.bbxpress.net/default.aspx?pageid=201 It shows they currently have seven wi-fi sites in that area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1908 Wildschut Skūtsje

Old 12-02-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, Sequiter... good to know, better than I expected.
Old 12-02-2007

wiseleyb is on a distinguished road
Oh - very cool - thanks for all the replies!
Old 12-10-2007

rsn48 is on a distinguished road
If you have that much time on your hands, why not go to the "new Desolation Sound" - the Broughtons; you'll love it. You could easily do both. You definitely need to purchase one of the guides for the Broughtons however; you need to know how to handle Johnstone Straight.

http://lists.samurai.com/pipermail/t...ly/049508.html
Old 12-10-2007
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I know a lot of folks heading up to the Broughtons. Matter of fact, we rafted up to the authors of the Dreamspeaker cruising book series one year on their way up to the Broughtons. What's the deally-o with that area? We went part way up Johnstone Strait one year and found that it got cold and turned around and headed back down to Desolation Sound. We figured if we wanted to summer in cold water areas we could stay down in the San Juans.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 12-10-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2007
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
I know a lot of folks heading up to the Broughtons. Matter of fact, we rafted up to the authors of the Dreamspeak? cruising book series one year on their way up to the Broughtons. What's the deally-o with that area? We went part way up Johnstone Strait one year and found that it got cold and turned around and headed back down to Desolation Sound. We figured if we wanted to summer in cold water areas we could stay down in the San Juans.
Unfortunately that is the reality of cruising north of Desolation, and, to some extent, cruising the outer west coast as well. It's like entering a new climate altogether. Spectacular scenery when the weather lifts, but all to often you're stuck under a layer of cloud for at least half the day.

When we did Barkley Sound a couple of years ago, we took our friends with whom we cruise the Caribbean every year or two. I was subject to a pact that, any day we sat in fog/cloud/mist and the weather inside (Georgia Strait) was good, I owed them a "Baguette Day".. that meant I had to go get the morning baguettes on our next Caribbean trip. In 12 days cruising I "earned" 9 baguette days. I think 3 of them are still on the books for next time!

I grew up on the central coast, a small town called "Ocean Falls", near Bella Bella, and this weather pattern is typical there too (with still more rain). While I'd dearly love to get up there again, the first mate resists because she likes her summers... and for some reason that means sun.

But these areas are truly beautiful when the sun comes out, quiet and solitude are nearly guaranteed, and if you spend some time with charts or Google Earth, you can see the near limitless potential for small one boat nooks and crannies...

You do/will need good self sufficiency, though, because services become far and few between.

BTW erps, the cruising guide couple's boat is "Dreamspeaker", an S&S SHE 36.