SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Christmas time in Bahamas (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/38980-christmas-time-bahamas.html)

jdlinda 12-03-2007 12:52 PM

Christmas time in Bahamas

Hello everyone.
We bought our boat, 45' Leopard catamaran, and survived our shakedown cruise. We went from Fort Lauderdale to Key West, hoping we could get to Bahamas but Noel (sp) prevented the trip. Christmas day we fly back to Fort Lauderdale and will try again. Our plan is to sail down to No Name Harbor and then over to Bimini. Our goal is to sail for about 6-8 hours per day, stop for a while and then off again to the next destination. We're not yet interested in an overnighter so we want to sail during the day only. We're hoping to be in a warm enough climate that we can snorkle, dive and just generally enjoy the sun's warmth. We have about a month. Any suggestions regarding route, destinations, activities would be greatly appreciated. We have Frommer's guide but would love some other input. Additionally, we'd like to keep the boat in the Bahamas for a while (months) so we can go back and enjoy it again in April. I've heard that Marsh Harbor has reasonably priced slips. Any other ideas?

camaraderie 12-03-2007 10:26 PM

jdlinda...lots of bahamas info and content here...just use the search function!

AlanBrown 12-22-2007 07:35 PM

Jdlinda,

If you only want to sail 6-8 hours per day, with no overnights, you may wish to cross from Ft. Lauderdale to Grand Bahama then follow the northern route around to Great Sale, Spanish Cay, Green Turtle, to Marsh Harbour. These are all day sails.

The Bimini to Chubb Cay, or Bimini to Great Harbour Cay, routes will require an overnight passage unless you choose to anchor out on the Banks for the night.

Don't rush your trip. This time of year it is especially important that you wait for the right weather windows and be prepared to sit tight til one arrives.

As far as leaving the boat in the Bahamas, rent a mooring in Hopetown or Man-o-War. There should be plenty available and they're much cheaper than dockage. Use the local ferry to get you back and forth to the Marsh Harbour airport. A Dodge Guide to the Abacos will be very helpful to have.

You'll love the Abacaos! I cruised there in 2004 and haven't left!!

To quote a poster from an Abaco website: "Veni, vidi, velcro."
Translation: I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Have fun!

jgmartis 12-29-2007 05:47 AM

That's a great quote!

Jim

ebs001 12-29-2007 09:48 AM

AlanBrown are you in Marsh Harbour and if so what's the name of your vessel? I'll drop by and say hi.

xort 12-29-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanBrown (Post 240765)
You'll love the Abacaos! I cruised there in 2004 and haven't left!!

To quote a poster from an Abaco website: "Veni, vidi, velcro."
Translation: I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Have fun!

Alan

How does that work, not leaving? Residency?

gc1111 12-29-2007 08:17 PM

If you are averse to night sailing, be aware that the usual timing of the crossing to the Bahamas is to leave at about 2AM. The reason is that you want to arrive while the sun is high and glare is minimized. Remember all navigation is by eyeball. Navigation marks either do not exist or are not reliable. But your eyes are all you need if the sun is high.

AlanBrown 12-30-2007 07:08 PM

Ebs,

Currently back in Atlanta working for a living. Plan to resume full-time cruising in 2009, when I "retire" for the 3rd time. Been keeping my boat, now Bahamian flagged, over on Elbow Cay. Won't get back aboard until early April.

Perhaps we can get together then.

Xort,

The Bahamian government will let you stay in their fair country for an almost unlimited period of time. All you have to do is keep renewing your visitors permit. Where you get into trouble is when you try to find employment. No dice without an expensive work permit, which is very difficult to obtain.

Alan

P.S. Would have sent you both PMs, but I haven't made enough posts yet to qualify for this service.

ebs001 01-02-2008 04:13 PM

AB, I'll be heading back to Ga about ther time you get here. Love the place and the people. Sure can't go wrong coming to the Abacos