SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (
-   -   Help in Jupiter FL (

Sailpilot 12-19-2007 07:39 PM

Help in Jupiter FL
I'm currently having a problem with a home owner near where my boat is anchored. I've been told to "move along or else". When I informed the individual of my right to stay anchored, I was told that he would handle this the old fashioned way. I spend about 4-5 days away and during this 3 times in the last month, I have returned to a boat covered in chum and hundreds of bait fish.

I have a great spot, protected and close to everything. 5-6 feet of draft. One bridge "US 1" away from the Inlet. The only thing that I can think of is if more cruisers atleast stopping for a night or more. This guy might be a little more relunctant to destroy my boat while I'm gone. Anyone that would like to help, I offer a free 12 pack of your choice on arrival and if I'm available, guided directions to a great spot.

If you have google maps:

Jupiter Inlet head south from Federal highway bridge. Before Indiantown Bridge, right into a small channel turning before the boat ramp on your left side. Once in the channel turn right into a open lake formed by mangrove island on the east and houses and businesses west and south. Google maps will not show my boat, but you will see it in person. 5+ draft only take the channel at high tide staying to the left entering the channel.

If you are interested in a nice spot and helping me out email me and I can send photos and aerial photos (google) with directions if I'm not home to help in person.

Sailpilot 12-19-2007 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
image of spot

CharlieCobra 12-19-2007 07:58 PM

Have you contacted the local authorities?

Sailpilot 12-19-2007 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Close image

Sailpilot 12-19-2007 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra (Post 239485)
Have you contacted the local authorities?

They can't do anything. It's my word vs. his. He waits till I'm gone then has his way.

CharlieCobra 12-19-2007 08:14 PM

Take before and after pics. All else fails you could always handle it like some folks I know would. Wouldn't be pretty.

Freesail99 12-19-2007 08:15 PM

Buy a cheap video or web cam. Then go see the local authorities and maybe your lawyer about a new boat....

JimHawkins 12-19-2007 08:33 PM

If your boat is being vandalized, the local authorities should be interested. And if you have grounds to suspect a certain person, they should be interested in that too. Perhaps an officer showing up on his doorstep and asking a few questions might encourage him to reflect on his behavior.

PBzeer 12-19-2007 08:33 PM

I hate to say this, but you're in a no-win situation. Right and wrong have very little to do with things such as this. It's basically a case of who will give in first.

What you could do, if possible, is get someone to come out to your boat (pick them up when you can't be seen), then have them leave in the morning, making it look like you have left. Then wait with a camcorder or camera until they show up and start sliming the boat. Of course, that could very easily turn ugly.

XTR 12-19-2007 10:40 PM

If you can resist the urge to shoot the bastard set him up and get it on video. If after catching the SOB you fail to resist the urge, go crabbin'.