SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Gulf Stream Crossing

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AlanBrown 
#1 ·
I know weather is very variable, but what are the usual conditions in the Gulf Stream in May & June. The reason I ask is that I have some time off then, and couple of my buddies are planning a fishing trip (I know...I know... power boats) to the Bahamas. I have a boat that is capable of making the crossing, but if it is a bad time of year, I might just head down to the Keys instead. As it stands, I would probably leave Miami and head over to Bimini, and chase the marlin and dolphin for a few days.

I know many of you have sail the Bahamas regularly, and I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

#2 ·
I have been in the Gulf Stream only once in May. It was a few years back but I believe it was early May. I do not remember the seas being much of a factor from my vague memory I would hazard a guess of 1-2 feet at worst. What I do recall clearly is that we under estimated the speed and power of the current which flows toward the north. Lucky for us only two people on earth know we did not intend to make landfall at that spot. So the shame is only shared between the 2 of us.

#3 ·
The main problem you'll run into is if the winds are from the north or east, depending on where you're crossing the Gulf Stream. If they are, the current against wind can make for some really hellacious seas... not much fun. You'll be much better off crossing when the winds are from the south/southwest. :)

IMHO, trying to do a Gulf Stream crossing on anything close to a set schedule is just asking to have Mother Nature and Neptune kick your teeth in. :)

#4 ·
In May and June you have an excellent chance for light winds AND much less chance of a northerly front coming through. They are the best months for an easy crossing with little waiting and no hurricane worries. Still..you have to allow for the possibility of weather kicking up the stream at any time of year and be prepared to wait it out or go elsewhere.

#5 ·
In a powerboat its a two hr. run Back when I was a kid you left at night kept the lights from Miami on your stern till you picked up the lights of Bimini Normally pretty flat that time of year Gulfstream is 15 or20 miles off if it's calm enough to fish the rip on the edge of the Gulfstream you can make it across

#7 ·
May and June are excellent crossing months. All you should have to worry about are thunderstorms and summer squalls.

If you plan to go after marlin and dolphin, I suggest you carefully review the recently revised Bahamian fishing regulations. There have been some serious changes which will impact heavily on foreign fisherman.

Have fun! You'll love Bimini!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.