Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008

oysterbay2 is on a distinguished road
watermaker

Hi All,

We are going to sail creece and turkey and are looking to buy a watermaker, is ther anyone who has experience in ahving one that is easy on energie and easy to maintane??

thanks

Marc

Last edited by oysterbay2; 01-13-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2008

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
We have a Sea Recovery Ultrawhisper. Fits both of those requirements. they are available between 200 - 400 gal per day driven by 12v or larger driven by 110/220v. General Maintenance is changing filters, everything else is automatic. Very happy with performance.
Old 01-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Oysterbay-

Most of them area about the same when it comes to maintenance. Getting one that uses off-the-shelf parts is a much better idea than one that is all proprietary parts. I've installed and worked on one brand that is specifically designed to use off-the-shelf parts, to minimize maintenance costs.

Also, get a larger watermaker than you think you need, since they're generally far more energy efficient. For instance, if you need 20 gallons a day, it is often better to get a larger one and run it every two to three days, rather than running a smaller one every day. One reason for this is most watermakers need to be backflushed with water to clear the RO membrane. Running a larger one every other day means you waste less water backflushing the membrane.

BTW, if you do get a watermaker, make sure that the tank it is connected to is never filled with tap water. The chlorine in tap water will destroy the RO membrane in the watermaker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-13-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Sk watermakers use off-the-shelf parts and it is a nice unit.
Old 01-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
FS99-

I think SK was the brand of the one I installed... just couldn't remember the name.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-14-2008

Tenaya is on a distinguished road
We have a Spectra watermaker and it works fine. In warm water it seems we need to clean the filters often. We have started to wash them each time we use the watermaker (about every 3rd day or so) and never if we are in a marina).
Sailingdog is correct about the effect of chlorine on the membrane, but ours is connected to our tank and we do fill it with tap water, but we have a charcoal filter (as recommended by Spectra) in the line for the flushing water.

Old 01-14-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Cosider the cost. You can buy alot of water for what the watermaker costs. The membranes have a finite life and will need to be replaced, the frequency determined primarily on hours of use. Having said that I have a Village Marine that runs on 110v. and makes 20g./hr. It has been maintenence free over 4 years. I can keep the water tank full with generator time needed to charge batteries and chill the fridge/freezer so their is no measurable fuel use to make water. In a survey done by Bluewater Sailing, the watermaker was the system that was mostlikely to give a cruiser a problem. I run any water going into my tank not from the watermaker through a carbon filter to guard against chlorine and use hydrogen peroxide as a sterilizing agent. One advantage of a watermaker not often considered is that it allows you to carry less water and more fuel on long passages as surplus water tank capacity can be turned into fuel tankage.
Old 01-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
SpecialID,
Hard to buy water 786 miles off the coast of paradise. Boat boys don't come out that far.
SD,

I disagree on the size issue; don't have one yet but spec'd out one - Katadyn 80E because:
a) I need a modular unit.

b) I want to run it off DC, not the motor (I like quiet, and have solar).

c) I only need 8 amps to make roughly 4 gallons - I can make that off solar alone and never touch my batteries (don't bring out your calculators solarstik fans, 2 X100 watt panels will make 8 amps for at least a hour per day.

If I need more than 4 gals a day to drink, cook, wash with, I'll let it run for more than one hour, if not I'll play with my laptop a little more
Old 01-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
BTW my 2x30 gal FW tanks lasted me 36 days of cruising and overnighting this past season, not the same as liveaboard, but doable.
Old 01-14-2008

Sorry, just rechecked - the Katadyn Powersurvivor 80E puts out 12.9L or 3 gph, not the 4 I previously stated (misremembered is better than misrepresented).
It does use 8 amps per hour to make that 3 gal, and is modular.