Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Jim & Rosa, Avoid the northerlies comming with the cold fronts because they're opposed to the Gulf Stream current and make for rougher seas. If your draft makes the passage at Indian Cay Rock (5'MLW) a problem; then, you might consider crossing onto the bank south of memory rock; anchoring at Great Sale and clearing customs at Green Turtle. We like the Steve Dodge guide, 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Halyardz... aside from the tidal issue with the indian cay passage...one additional bit of info. The Old BahamaBay resort at West End has a new policy of charging up front for a THREE day stay if you arrive on a weekend or a holiday. Rumour has it that they are also doing this at other times. Since this is a completely unnecessary expense and there is NO other choice...my advice is per CapForce's alternative above. This means however:
1. Leave the Lake Worth inlet around MIDNIGHT so that you arrive at the Memory Rock Passage and the shallow Bahama Banks in full daylight. The inlet is wide open and well lit and you can anchor before leaving just south of the inlet with a bunch of other boats to get a bit of sleep and have an easy course out at night.
2. Cross to the Memory Rock Waypoint in your Explorer chart guide and then proceed to the Great Sale Cay waypoint. You will have NO concerns about depth or coral heads along this route.
3. You will arrive in Great Sale in mid afternoon and be ready for a good rest in a well protected anchorage.
4. Next morning get an early start and you can make it all the way to Green turtle cay where you can dinghy in to check in at the New Providence post office and you can anchor in White Sound and begin to enjoy the Abacos.
I agree...the Dodge Guide is great!
Have fun!
Old 01-24-2008
Banned

saltygator is an unknown quantity at this point
Today, sure would be nice. Dead Calm, seas 1-2 feet.
Old 01-24-2008

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Halyardz, I didn't mention it in my earlier post, but I too am diappointed with the obligatory cost at West End. They've built a nice place, replacing the old Jack Tar Marina, but the cost is high. Technically you are supposed to clear customs at the nearest available site when entering the Bahamas, but many boats follow the route that Camaraderie & I have mentioned. I like the daylight landfall too. Mangrove Cay can be an optional anchorage as well as Allans-pensacola en route to Green Turtle. 'take care & joy, Aythya crew