LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
How long? Seattle to East Coast US

Is the following doable?

July 2009 - August 2010

Month 1 - Prep for trip
Note: We'd buy the boat in Nov 2008-Jan 2009, it would be in good shape and require minimal refit and we'd do a few sea trials between the time we bought it and July. Let's assume that's OK, not focus on whether we'll be prepared enough, and just talk about the actual trip time frame

August 2009 - August 2010

Seattle to California to Mexico to Panama to VI's to East Coast US to Maine

Is that itinerary absolutely pushing it?

Thanks! Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
What size boat? How much fuel? How many crew?
Old 01-22-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
The Panama Canal has been a bit tricky lately... on other forums - downright that boats have been stalled for 6 months or more... if you are trying to get over it may actually be cheaper to transport over land if a time schedule is important.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-22-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Would this be a delivery, or a fast cruise? It'd be a shame to have to "blast" past some gems like Belize if the main objective is to move the boat.

If a delivery then you'll probably be better off long run to truck the boat. If a cruise then perhaps you'll want a less rigid time frame. It's a long uphill slog for east Panama to anywhere. I'd think you could do it in a year, and your timing is probably good for the Caribbean/Gulf Hurricane season.

A friend recently did the reverse, from the Islands to Vancouver via Hawaii in less time, but that's mostly the downhill way. We didn't hear of any problems at the canal. (Last year)

Hate to get hung up at Panama, though, if Jody's on the money......

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-22-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2008
I'd rather be sailing

Sailboy - family cruise, 52'-58' boat, large tankage but hoping to sail as much as possible, not motorsail.

Jody - I wonder if your waiting time can be made a function of how much you pay to get through. We're not looking for this to be a delivery, but an interesting and educational cruise for myself, my wife and our two kids. I'd rather go through the canal than around it, but 6 months of waiting wouldn't fit well in our timeframe.

Faster - I would think 12 months would be more than just a delivery . I would consider it a fast cruise, but I'm trying to figure out if it's too fast.
Old 01-22-2008
I'd rather be sailing

For those who have been following my questions and are wondering where this "out of left field" question is from... we have found a few boats in WA state that may meet our requirements. Because of their location, our original thought of the St. Lawrence Seaway, around Nova Scotia and down the east coast wouldn't work, so we're wondering if this other itinerary would just be pushing it too much. We know it's accelerated, but we're wondering how accelerated. I haven't done any trip planning for this route so I don't know the distances and stops involved.
Old 01-22-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Sailboy - family cruise, 52'-58' boat, large tankage but hoping to sail as much as possible, not motorsail.

Jody - I wonder if your waiting time can be made a function of how much you pay to get through. We're not looking for this to be a delivery, but an interesting and educational cruise for myself, my wife and our two kids. I'd rather go through the canal than around it, but 6 months of waiting wouldn't fit well in our timeframe.

Faster - I would think 12 months would be more than just a delivery . I would consider it a fast cruise, but I'm trying to figure out if it's too fast.

Nah there was a deal on one of the Piracy forums (not meant to scare you btw)... that there are segments on the western end of Panama canal that the government / policia are going to a bit of extremes of handling passages (esp Americans)... Mind you I read this two months ago - and if it would be something you should research on your own... Myself was alarmed because normally Panama canal is one of the safest routes but the US no longer owns the rights and it should be expected that the rights of passage change as well...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
labatt...how would you plan on getting to the VI's from Panama? You can't sail there directly (trade winds in your face!) so me-things you'd have to prep for a South America leg then to Trinidad and up the island chain to the VI's. Not sure I'd want to visit some of the places along that path with kids on board. Consider Dockwise also.
Old 01-23-2008
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
For the planned trip, in theory the schedule after departing from Seattle in Aug, would be to reach southern Cal by November, which doesn't seem too difficult. Then south to Panama, favored by northerly winds along Mexico. The direct route from Panama to VI's is just over 1000 nm and at the beginning of summer SE winds are not uncommon, so you could probably head round the west side of Puerto Rico and then on to VI. From there offshore (via Bahamas) up north to your destination will probably be the toughest stage.
So IMHO possible yes, but unfortunately the hurricane season doesn't give you a lot of room, or time, in the more interesting places you might want to visit on route. Then again given the choice I'd go for it, sounds like a fun trip.
Old 01-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt's looking for his mythical next bigger boat with a bad case of 12-foot-itis. That trip sounds a bit rushed, and if you run into any delays might get seriously borked for it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.