Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008

Mary51 is on a distinguished road
Acetone, bleach, lamp oil. Where/how to stow?

Do you carry them, and if so in what containers and how stowed? My methods are pretty makeshift at this point, and I'd like have them secured better.

Thanks.

mary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
i carry mine in their original containers secured under the galley cabinet in a plastic handle tote secured with bungee cords (not the one pictured but similar), maybe not the best way but has worked for me three years so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

Last edited by uspirate; 02-02-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
You may have left out a few other hazardous chemicals cruisers may carry

Like denatured alcohol, ether or WD 40, kerosene, vinegar, fuel and holding tank treatments to mention a few, but you make a good point, if a bit subtle.
I have not been keeping bleach on my boat but there is always the distinct possibility of some synergy of fluids, thinners, acids, oils and detergents that would result in a bad situation.
Normally the acetone, epoxy and varnish kits would be off my boat but it difficult for me to leave the entire kit while out on the water in case of emergencies. Basically, some items should reside at the dockside and some come with you if they can be stowed properly.
I am not an expert or a long term cruiser so I do not know what they recommend in terms of stowing potentially hazardous chemicals so I await the ensuing flood of knowledge that this thread is wanting of.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I would consider a deck box for some things, like gas for the outboard, and it's possible you want to get the chemicals that could either eat through your hull or combine to create noxious fumes separated or outside. Alternatively, you could, with some effort, glass in or otherwise make a box of a cockpit locker that doesn't communicate with the rest of the boat.

I have to have a lot of fairly toxic paints, primers and coatings aboard, and I am still working this out. The ideal is to have some sort of container that could be sealed well enough that if the contents were inverted and/or violently flung about, any spillage would be securely confined without actually eating through the container itself. This rules out in some cases Rubbermaid, doesn't it? .

I know that some people have built fibreglass battery boxes painted in that tar-like driveway sealant (which is also used, I believe, as a truck bed liner). This may be one approach, in that you could fully utilize parts of the hull that normally wouldn't take a loose box.
Old 02-03-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I use a battery box for solvents, etc., a wastebasket for bleach and laundry soap.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-03-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Military ammo boxes come to mind as a good place to store many things in. The boxes has a gasket and seal very well. They also can be had in different sizes.
Old 02-04-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Things that come in plastic containers are probably safely stored in their origingal container with the additional precautions mentioned in several of the posts above. I've had a problem with metal containers (acetone usually comes in a metal can) leaking when the cans rust. Usually, the rust starts on the bottom of the can and eventually very fine pin holes develop. Not enough of the solvent leaks out to see (in liquid form) but you'll eventually begin to smell it. I've tried taping the bottom of new cans to try to keep the salt air off them. It seems to help, but doesn't completely solve the problem. Next year I'm going to try using some epoxy paint on the cans. I once tried transferring some paint solvents/thinners to plastic containers, but the solvent melted the plastic. I deduced from this that if it comes in a metal can, it should probably stay in a metal can.

I'd be interested in knowing how others have stopped the metal cans from rusting.
Old 02-04-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I don't know how much acetone you go through, but mine comes in plastic from the fibreglass "craft shop". Some of the guys in there stand too close to the barrel, I tell you.
Old 02-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing I'd mention is that you might want to transfer some of the solvents into heavy glass or plastic containers, since the metal ones they come in invariably will rust through in a marine environment.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-04-2008
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
The metal cans are rusting from the inside out due to water condensation much like what we experience in our fuel tanks; therefore, painting or taping the outside, won't solve much. You must be careful not to store bleach too close to ammonia, the fumes don't behave well together.